Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Carp's insistence that a Shesterkin/Georgiev tandem is something that the Rangers can have for a long time as a result of a Lundqvist buyout is just so weird to me. I really don't see any way Georgiev is here past 2021 regardless of whether we buy Hank out or not.
Shesterkin is first a RFA in 21-22 so he likely won't get too much then. So if Georgiev proves to be a solid backup next season but no team is willing to take a major flyer on him as a starter in 21-22 it seems very plausible that the Rangers can continue with the Shesterkin/Georgiev tandem. That tandem would have a lower cap hit than the King does by himself now, and presumably the cap will finally go up in 21/22.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Given that Lundqvist's 2020 bonus ($1MM) has already been paid, that leaves $4.5MM in salary obligations for this year. If someone wants him at half of that number and can absorb the cap hit, it's an easy deal to make. I am sure Don Meehan has talked with teams all around the league and has given Henrik the lay of the land. It's hard to see any team that fits Lundqvist's profile of a contender looking for a number one (or 1A) goaltender. Shane Doan went through the exact same process a couple of years ago and when he found no takers, he retired. Like everyone else, I wish it didn't have to end this way but long after the sadness fades, the memory of Henrik will live forever.

As for Georgiev, I don't see any way his value will be any greater than it is right now. He is simply not going to get the starters net in New York often enough to build his value. Yes there are lots of goaltenders available right now. There always are. The thing is most are not 24 with 77 games of NHL experience and a .913 save percentage. If you listen to Valiquette, some of his analytics are also excellent. I can't imagine there's not a market for him.

Best case, Georgiev stays two more years in NY. If the Rangers are ever going to monetize him, it would have to be before his final RFA year. My strong preference is to trade him, sign a solid NHL backup (Cam Talbot?) and move on. This is Igor's team.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Given that Lundqvist's 2020 bonus ($1MM) has already been paid, that leaves $4.5MM in salary obligations for this year. If someone wants him at half of that number and can absorb the cap hit, it's an easy deal to make. I am sure Don Meehan has talked with teams all around the league and has given Henrik the lay of the land. It's hard to see any team that fints Lundqvist's profile of a contender looking for a number one (or 1A) goaltender. Shane Doan went through the exact same process a couple of years ago and when he found no takers, he retired. Like everyone else, I wish it didn't have to end this way but long after the sadness fades, the memory of Henrik will live forever.

As for Georgiev, I don't see any way his value will be any greater than it is right now. He is simply not going to get the starters net in New York often enough to build his value. Yes there are lots of goaltenders available right now. There always are. The thing is most are not 24 with 77 games of NHL experience and a .913 save percentage. If you listen to Valiquette, some of his analytics are also excellent. I can't imagine there's not a market for him.

Best case, Georgiev stays two more years in NY. If the Rangers are ever going to monetize him, it would have to be before his final RFA year. My strong preference is to trade him, sign a solid NHL backup (Cam Talbot) and move on. This is Igor's team.
This is the proper analysis. It's really quite simple, IMO.

Reactions: jas

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Given that Lundqvist's 2020 bonus ($1MM) has already been paid, that leaves $4.5MM in salary obligations for this year. If someone wants him at half of that number and can absorb the cap hit, it's an easy deal to make. I am sure Don Meehan has talked with teams all around the league and has given Henrik the lay of the land. It's hard to see any team that fints Lundqvist's profile of a contender looking for a number one (or 1A) goaltender. Shane Doan went through the exact same process a couple of years ago and when he found no takers, he retired. Like everyone else, I wish it didn't have to end this way but long after the sadness fades, the memory of Henrik will live forever.

Best case, Georgiev stays two more years in NY. If the Rangers are ever going to monetize him, it would have to be before his final RFA year. My strong preference is to trade him, sign a solid NHL backup (Cam Talbot) and move on. This is Igor's team.
Two counterpoints:
Hanks cap hit is 8.5 million even if actual dollars are 5.5, reduced by the 1 million bonus paid.
The market for goaltenders is a total buyers market right now. There is an unprecedented amount of quality goalies available; many articles written recently about this. Assuming Georgiev is at least as good next season his market value can only go up in a normal goalie market.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
What’s up with the Georgiev hate? He’s a very solid goalie that has played well for you
He's making it obvious that the King has to go so Hank sycophants have to unfairly tear him down. (No disrespect intended to the King himself - greatest Rangers ever).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad