Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Why would he ever agree to do that? And why would any team give up assets for the privilege of spending more money on a buy out?

I think the proverbial pot would have to be sweetened BY US for a team to do that - ie... Lundqvist @ 50% retained + 1st, or whatever, for middling XYZ "B" prospect and a 3rd.

Still not what I would do. Next season isn't going to be any Cup run. Let him play his last year as a backup, if he wants to, and ride off into the sunset or whatever competitive team he wants to play with that'll have him in '21-22. Retire or final season with NYR.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
He's got a 3rd grader and a kg, gonna hazard a guess but they aren't attending public. Never know family dynamics and where they want their kids educated. forget legacy, i think this will be the deciding factor for him and the wife.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
hopefully this soap opera will end soon. Can justify and objectively bury any subjective position with few responses yet one slip and the lurking all chime in within minutes.

That’s the internet.

It is not just one slip. Your modus operandi is to strongly ridicule posters who dont agree with you on subjects you clearly are misinformed on.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
He's got a 3rd grader and a kg, gonna hazard a guess but they aren't attending public. Never know family dynamics and where they want their kids educated. forget legacy, i think this will be the deciding factor for him and the wife.

good guess regarding the education lol

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If I had kids, I also wouldn't leave millions on the table for a year's work, even if I was relegated to back up. I know they're not hurting for money, but still... money is money. And Hank still knows he can play (and he can).

So I don't think he'll retire. I think it would be best for the team if he did, but I also don't think Hank owes the team anything. He's free to stick by his contract and NMC - he's earned it.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As buyout window approaches, so does official end of Lundqvist's Rangers career

According to Carp, the buyout period begins on the 25th, though that can change depending on when the finals end.

The Rangers must buy him out and they know it. They must do the deed between when the buyout window opens Sept. 25 and closes Oct. 8 (or six days after the Stanley Cup final if that is the later date).

He mentions the possibility of a trade or retirement, but thinks those options are unlikely.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If he retires after his buyout it will leave a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouthes. He had the Rangers give him that extra year all the way to 39 when odds of course were he’d be in decline by then. Made a fortune here.

if someone wants him to be a starter and he’s excited to go then all power to him. But if he retires after the buyout it will look bad.

Reactions: TopShelf86

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
If he retires after his buyout it will leave a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouthes. He had the Rangers give him that extra year all the way to 39 when odds of course were he’d be in decline by then. Made a fortune here.

if someone wants him to be a starter and he’s excited to go then all power to him. But if he retires after the buyout it will look bad.

Why would that look bad? If Rangers want to pay him to leave the team, he can do whatever he wants

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd love to know who in the Ranger organization is leaking out to Rick and Larry that Lundqvist is almost assuredly getting bought out

Like are they trying to publicly pressure him to retire?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'd love to know who in the Ranger organization is leaking out to Rick and Larry that Lundqvist is almost assuredly getting bought out

Like are they trying to publicly pressure him to retire?

Do either of them have access within the org? Are they ever right about this stuff?

I mean maybe he retires but Larry just spitballs now. Carp doesn't seem to break anything ever. Would they suddenly have a clear read on something like this from the org itself?

(Maybe Hank's agent or something)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Do either of them have access within the org? Are they ever right about this stuff?

I mean maybe he retires but Larry just spitballs now. Carp doesn't seem to break anything ever. Would they suddenly have a clear read on something like this from the org itself?

(Maybe Hank's agent or something)
See that's what I've been thinking as well. Carp has been writing for the Rangers for how many years and has broken zero news.

It's just weird though because they've both been very steadfast about this for months now. And the both of them are saying basically the same stuff. I feel like it almost has to come from the Rangers.

I don't know haha

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Definitely something that would be coming from Hank's side of things. If he has made the indication that he is not retiring and reading the tea leaves that a team is not likely to trade for him, the speculation of a buyout is the only way he would not be on the team.

Still think it is better to have him around the team, around Shesterkin, and being a backup. Moving Georgiev as a free asset they got to fill a hole is better than buying out Hank and running those two as a tandem. Lundqvist can be a backup goalie in the league. He can start 25-30 games and perform well enough.

Yes, the following season's goalie situation gets a little more murky, but unless there is a severe drop in play next year, could see him back on a 1 year deal to finish things up in NY with this young team having grown and he gets one last shot at lifting a cup here with the young guys carrying him instead of the other way around.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Then what is the right move?

Trading Georgiev for the best offer whatever it may be.

Additionally it still doesn't make sense to buyout Lundqvist in the first buyout window instead of waiting until the second one if they decide to go that way. Just gives you more time to explore other options.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Trading Georgiev for the best offer whatever it may be.

Additionally it still doesn't make sense to buyout Lundqvist in the first buyout window instead of waiting until the second one if they decide to go that way. Just gives you more time to explore other options.

They should trade Geo AND buy Hank out.

The two things should not be mutually exclusive.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
They should trade Geo AND buy Hank out.
The two things should not be mutually exclusive.

i don't get the push to trade Geo, it seems likely the return will be too light.
and assuming a rookie G plays 70 games is likely an over-reach

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad