Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Since the NHL is leaning toward next season being in multiple bubbles, this to me means Henrik will retire. Why be a back up in another season with a terrible schedule, no fans, and being locked in a hub city for potentially weeks at a time without access to family and your own home.

However, if Hank wants to stay one more season, it is 100% within his right to do so since he has one more year in his contract. Management agrees to trade Georgiev and Hank is the backup to Shesterkin. I really only see this scenario happening if everything went back to normal in terms of playing in home arenas with fans, etc.

I don’t see a buy out happening, it’s either he stays or he retires and I believe that decision depends on what the NHL / NHLPA decides to do regarding next season.

Last edited:

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
How tragic. Hank gets robbed of a cup(s) because some old guy decided to draft a lumbering giant over Tarasenko. And now he doesn't even get a proper send off in front of the tens of thousands of fans who adore him because some dude decided to eat an armadillo burger.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Since the NHL is leaning toward next season being in multiple bubbles, this to me means Henrik will retire. Why be a back up in another season with a terrible schedule, no fans, and being locked in a hub city for potentially weeks at a time without access to family and your own home.

However, if Hank wants to stay one more season, it is 100% within his right to do so since he has one more year in his contract. Management agrees to trade Georgiev and Hank is the backup to Shesterkin. I really only see this scenario happening if everything went back to normal in terms of playing in home arenas with fans, etc.

I don’t see a buy out happening, it’s either he stays or he retires and I believe that decision depends on what the NHL / NHLPA decides to do regarding next season.

You know, this makes sense. I really had no feeling he would retire until you mentioned this and now thinking about it, would he really wanna go on playing in a covid type season no matter how that looked? I'd say this could very well move up his retirement date. Also, given this thought, NY probably should have sat Staal(for any number of reasons) but as a heads up that, in a covid season you could be just sitting inside a bubble, not playing, if you don't retire.

Reactions: nevesis

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How tragic. Hank gets robbed of a cup(s) because some old guy decided to draft a lumbering giant over Tarasenko. And now he doesn't even get a proper send off in front of the tens of thousands of fans who adore him because some dude decided to eat an armadillo burger.

I think he’s been living the fairy tale life without the perceived proper sendoff. He’ll get by

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
I think he’s been living the fairy tale life without the perceived proper sendoff. He’ll get by
Good point. It would have been glorious for Hank to lead the Rangers to the Cup and should have happened in 2014, but it didn't. Not everyone gets their storybook ending, most don't in fact.

At this point I think the Rangers should forgo a buyout and call the King's bluff. I doubt he wants to come back for the reasons above and others. His retirement will free up some much needed money next season and help the team immeasurably. And the retirement ceremony for the greatest Ranger ever will be the highlight of next season.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Since the NHL is leaning toward next season being in multiple bubbles

This is just not true. There is no leaning towards anything. There was a whole article written about what is going on and the NHL hasn't begun planning the beginning of next season. Here it is: What we're hearing about the 2020-21 NHL season

In his interview with NHL.com, Daly said he doesn't want to "rule anything out," but he poured some cold water on the divisional bubble idea.

"I don't think our current format for bubbles would work for the regular season, particularly because our objective is to play a full season and I'm not sure how we do that in the format we're currently utilizing," Daly said. "It's already a significant amount of time just to complete our playoffs in that type of bubble format. I don't think it's going to look like what we're currently doing, but could it be a variation of what we're currently doing."

They've got at least 4 months before they have to begin games, and they don't need to play 82. They can play 70 (which is what they need to local TV money to kick in). They can play into July if they need to. They need fans in seats, even if it isn't full capacity, so it will be a waiting game. I do not think the players will sign up for bubble locations for the regular season. Playoffs was and is different.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So much for 95% retiring and playing with his brother. If that were the case, he would’ve stayed in Sweden. He might still be forced to if he’s bought out and no one signs him, but I didn’t think he’d bow out before that.

Reactions: nevesis

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still think he’s 95% retiring for the record. He’s got his kids in school in NY that obviously is more important than playing in Sweden we’ve learned.

so what would make anyone think he’d go play in Edmonton?

if anything this might have moved up my percentage to 96%

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Buying out Hank while still keeping Staal would be the stupidest thing ever.

Im also in the boat that he probably retires. Wheres he gonna go and play? Minnesota?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Buying out Hank while still keeping Staal would be the stupidest thing ever.

Im also in the boat that he probably retires. Wheres he gonna go and play? Minnesota?

Yup and as I’ve said there’s more to it. Why would Minnesota or anyone else pick him up off a buyout when they have a friggen bucket of much better nhl goalies out there this offseason? This is like very few off seasons before. Tons of quality goalies avail and then there are a couple really good ones avail if you want to trade for one.

I mean why would anyone take the .39 year old with that big of a personality hovering behind their starter? He’s most certainly not going to start anywhere. Not with these guys that are avail.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Why? What's in it for him?

he’s going to be bought out and then what? He’s not playing here those are his options.

he’s not owed 8.5 miion. Think it’s 5 mil he’s still owed After escrow and the actual buyout is it worth it? Where he going? He can stay and live in NY and work for the organization if he wants to

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why would he retire if the team tells him they are going to buy him out? He should retire after they buy him out if that scenario played out.

Reactions: Desdichado93

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is just not true. There is no leaning towards anything. There was a whole article written about what is going on and the NHL hasn't begun planning the beginning of next season. Here it is: What we're hearing about the 2020-21 NHL season

I mean Daly says right there that it won't be what they're doing now but it could be a variation of what they're doing (like more hub cities).

Fans in the seats is a terrible idea unless they're gonna basically half the number of fans and enforce like 10 feet space between everyone

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he’s going to be bought out and then what? He’s not playing here those are his options.

he’s not owed 8.5 miion. Think it’s 5 mil he’s still owed After escrow and the actual buyout is it worth it? Where he going? He can stay and live in NY and work for the organization if he wants to
I find it is very easy for others to say that it should be easy for anyone to walk away from several million of dollars.

Pretty sure he can stay and live in NY and work for the organization if he wants to anyway. He may well get bought out, but there has been no real scuttlebutt about it at all. I do not think that the franchise wants to go that route.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean Daly says right there that it won't be what they're doing now but it could be a variation of what they're doing (like more hub cities).

Fans in the seats is a terrible idea unless they're gonna basically half the number of fans and enforce like 10 feet space between everyone
I am having a hard time seeing them have the players stay away from their families for that long of a period of time.

Regardless of fans opinion on fans in seats, the owners are only going to be interested for so long in playing for solely tv revenue

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think the argument for a team adding Hank over the other options is two fold: First, he's a one year commitment. So that's definitely a nice thing to have in a flat-cap world. Second, you don't really know what the market is going to look like when it opens up. There are a number of UFA's out there but all it takes is one guy to go crazy and suddenly the market flips on it's head and you're left looking at your 4th or 5th best option and a contract you don't want to hand out. Montreal jumped the market earlier today, likely for those reasons.

The problem for Hank is that even when it comes to guys on 1 year deals around $4-5m (assuming the Rangers ate half of his contract) he's not even the best option available. Andersen is better and only makes $1m in real money. If Carolina moves on Andersen or another goalie that means one of Mrazek or Reimer hits the market, both of whom might be better than Hank at this point in his career. If you can stretch the budget a little bit and Boston wants a change, Rask is clearly a better option as well.

So even if a team like Colorado decided they wanted to upgrade on their tandem in the short term, is Hank even an upgrade? Hard to say that he is.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Hank kept mentioning how tough his year was. It won’t get any easier. Even if Georgiev is moved i could see a Tyler Wall sharing the load.

Clarity for the . . . Shes minus Georgiev minus Hank plus Wall equals two goalies. :popcorn:

Last edited:

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
I think the argument for a team adding Hank over the other options is two fold: First, he's a one year commitment. So that's definitely a nice thing to have in a flat-cap world. Second, you don't really know what the market is going to look like when it opens up. There are a number of UFA's out there but all it takes is one guy to go crazy and suddenly the market flips on it's head and you're left looking at your 4th or 5th best option and a contract you don't want to hand out. Montreal jumped the market earlier today, likely for those reasons.

The problem for Hank is that even when it comes to guys on 1 year deals around $4-5m (assuming the Rangers ate half of his contract) he's not even the best option available. Andersen is better and only makes $1m in real money. If Carolina moves on Andersen or another goalie that means one of Mrazek or Reimer hits the market, both of whom might be better than Hank at this point in his career. If you can stretch the budget a little bit and Boston wants a change, Rask is clearly a better option as well.

So even if a team like Colorado decided they wanted to upgrade on their tandem in the short term, is Hank even an upgrade? Hard to say that he is.
There is not going to be a market for Hank at 4 million or so. He's really not that good anymore. There are advanced stats for goalies, that Valiquette maintains for instance, for things like saves on un-screened shots and the like and the King is bottom half. Goalies his age just do not have the reflexes they once did nor vs. the newer younger ones who now have incredible skill training aids. Father time is undefeated. And there is this:
SeasonAgeSV%GAA
2014-15320.9222.25
2015-16330.922.48
2016-17340.912.74
2017-18350.9152.98
2018-19360.9073.07
2019-20370.9053.16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
There is not going to be a market for Hank at 4 million or so. He's really not that good anymore. There are advanced stats for goalies, that Valiquette maintains for instance, for things like saves on un-screened shots and the like and the King is bottom half. Goalies his age just do not have the reflexes they once did nor vs. the newer younger ones who now have incredible skill training aids. Father time is undefeated. And there is this:
SeasonAgeSV%GAA
2014-15320.9222.25
2015-16330.922.48
2016-17340.912.74
2017-18350.9152.98
2018-19360.9073.07
2019-20370.9053.16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I always thought he could be one of those goalies who maintained their performance into their late 30s, but the last two years in particular have proven me wrong.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers are not going to resolve the three headed goalie issue (trade Georgiev or buyout Hank) just to create it again with Tyler Wall next year. Come on.
Yeah. Especially since the literal comment from Gorton is that they are not going to head into next season with 3 goalies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers are not going to resolve the three headed goalie issue (trade Georgiev or buyout Hank) just to create it again with Tyler Wall next year. Come on.

That outlook is hilarious - as is the one Lundqvist should just forego the last year of his mutually agreed upon contract because there's no market for him and/or retiring would help the team. Talk about what have you done for me lately.

Personally, Im not losing sleep on how this turns out. The Rangers aren't serious contenders next year, and I don't believe his cap hit for one more season will be a significant roadblock to bettering the team over that time. In other words, it doesn't sit right with me to kick a legend out of town just for some short-term cap flexibility. If this was 2-3 years from now, I'd probably feel differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad