OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You just need a good playlist. If I did it with no music, I’d probably be bored too. Become one with the music and it’s like you’re not even moving.

I hate running with music. Although I guess if I were on a treadmill or still in the midwest you kind of have to run with music given how boring they are.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I hate running with music. Although I guess if I were on a treadmill or still in the midwest you kind of have to run with music given how boring they are.

Yeah, I only run on a treadmill. They’re isn’t a god damned thing to see around here. You have nature’s television, probably the same psychological effect of just letting your body do the running while your mind focuses on whatever you want it to.

Although I’d probably run with music even if I was outside. I love it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What are you looking into? I’m shopping new road bikes for my wife currently. Debating between a Giant TCR or Defy for her.

Giant Contend is what I was looking at but I was also looking at Trek. I am going to go with a used bike as the market here is very robust.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Giant Contend is what I was looking at but I was also looking at Trek. I am going to go with a used bike as the market here is very robust.

I bought my wife a Contend. It’s good for getting around town, but it’s pretty damn heavy. I wouldn’t want to put a hard effort ride in on it. Just cruising around it would be great.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I can do a 30 mile bike ride, hit the elliptical for an hour, play hockey for an hour, etc...with relatively no issue. I can barely run a quarter of a mile without feeling like my knees are going to split in half and that I'm going to have a heart attack :laugh:

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I bought my wife a Contend. It’s good for getting around town, but it’s pretty damn heavy. I wouldn’t want to put a hard effort ride in on it. Just cruising around it would be great.

I am looking for a sturdy bike that I can ride 20-30 miles on but also pull my daughter around.

Any reccomendations?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've got a huge sweet tooth, which doesn't really help me get skinnier, but lately I've been having mixed berries over a small scoop of ice cream with a little cinnamon sprinkled on it and it's been great. I get my sugar craving filled and still feel great immediately after eating it as well as the next morning.

I don't like strict diets. Recently I've just been eating more times throughout the day, smaller portions, and generally try to stay away from the overtly unhealthy stuff, while also working out 3-5 times a week and am starting to see the results I've been wanting for so long. Junk food cravings are almost non-existent and I feel like I've got a lot of control over what I eat and (more importantly) want to eat.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I am looking for a sturdy bike that I can ride 20-30 miles on but also pull my daughter around.

Any reccomendations?

If going used, I’d look into a Giant Defy since you have back issues. But the best thing to do is just get on as many bikes as possible and see what’s most comfortable.

I don’t know exactly how bad your back is, but if it’s really bad you should look into a Retul bike fit. They have a machine they’ll put you on that measures your position on a bike and then you use that information to find what bikes fit you best. A place in Atlanta did it for $100-150. Varies from shop to shop, though, as they just buy the Retul software and machine and then charge whatever they want to.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If going used, I’d look into a Giant Defy since you have back issues. But the best thing to do is just get on as many bikes as possible and see what’s most comfortable.

I don’t know exactly how bad your back is, but if it’s really bad you should look into a Retul bike fit. They have a machine they’ll put you on that measures your position on a bike and then you use that information to find what bikes fit you best. A place in Atlanta did it for $100-150. Varies from shop to shop, though, as they just buy the Retul software and machine and then charge whatever they want to.

Thanks. My back never hurts when I ride for some reason. It is weird.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks. My back never hurts when I ride for some reason. It is weird.

Then I’d look into a Giant Defy for sure. I am admittedly a Giant fanboy. I can’t imagine buying a bike that’s not made by them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Down seven pounds on the month despite having multiple cheat meals and not really sticking to the diet too much.

Seriously, the only reason I ever get fat is because I'm so ridiculously lazy. I'm probably in the top 1% when it comes to ease of losing weight. Kind of pathetic that I've let myself go so many times.

Oh well, just lose the weight and stick to a decent maintenance schedule once you hit a target weight. Gotta do that.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Am I the only person who loves running here?

@RayP is basically a triathlete, he’s the only real runner I know of here. I like running on a treadmill if that counts. Can’t beat that runner’s high, honesty, after about an hour I feel like I can go for 2 or 3 more but don’t because I don’t see the advantage to it other than for fun. I assume I would just be burning muscle at that point. Marathon runners look pretty slim.

Crow

May 19, 2014
@RayP is basically a triathlete, he’s the only real runner I know of here. I like running on a treadmill if that counts. Can’t beat that runner’s high, honesty, after about an hour I feel like I can go for 2 or 3 more but don’t because I don’t see the advantage to it other than for fun. I assume I would just be burning muscle at that point. Marathon runners look pretty slim.
I imagine it takes a toll on your body. I am not sure I even qualify as a runner if it takes hours a day to really be one. I’ve also never really focused on form or tried a training program.I agree though, the runners high agrees with me much more than other types of working out.

I was running 6 miles in 40-45 minutes, 6 days a week. I’ve since lost a whole minute each mile and only can find time 3-4 nights a week. I still enjoy it the same.

I have run 12-14 miles a handful of times, just on a whim, to see how far I can go, but I feel like the recovery is so much longer that I don’t value it. I suppose you have to work your way up to those longer distances but it never interested me. I’d rather go faster, shorter.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Signed up for my first 50K this week, in November. Nothing but trail running for me for the next 2 months.
I think I’d like to do a long distance like that just once. A marathon maybe. I wonder what the training for it looks like. Are 50Ks popular? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Roughly 31 miles. Ugh. No thanks. I’d be up for a marathon once. That extra 5 miles must feel like 20.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I think I’d like to do a long distance like that just once. A marathon maybe. I wonder what the training for it looks like. Are 50Ks popular? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Roughly 31 miles. Ugh. No thanks. I’d be up for a marathon once. That extra 5 miles must feel like 20.

In the ultra world, yeah they’re a pretty popular distance.

I took this generic plan and added some cycling, yoga, and rock climbing to it.

Crow

May 19, 2014
In the ultra world, yeah they’re a pretty popular distance.

I took this generic plan and added some cycling, yoga, and rock climbing to it.

What shocks me the most is how light the final week is.

I almost think I could do that, honestly.

Also I think I should start varying my lengths a bit more.

Crow

May 19, 2014
On second thought NOPE. Those Sundays after the long runs Saturday would wreck me. I can’t run 20 miles and then run 10 the next day. No way.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Those are the money makers.
I figured. I just don’t see it. I might try from week one next week and see how that goes just for the hell of it. I’ll probably fail by week five.

Are you on a treadmill for any of this? Like if it’s raining?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I figured. I just don’t see it. I might try from week one next week and see how that goes just for the hell of it. I’ll probably fail by week five.

Are you on a treadmill for any of this? Like if it’s raining?

Nah. If it’s raining and trails are too muddy I’ll just run on a road. It goes up a canyon but is closed to cars.

I’m only doing a 12 week plan because signing up for this was kind of last minute, but I have the aerobic base and some decent running mileage logged already and consistently.

If you aren’t training for anything specific I’d look more into a 16 or 20 week plan that has a more gradual build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad