OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That looks like a scene from Dateline when they show you where they found the body.

:laugh:

Not another soul out there this morning. There are some moose occasionally, and deer. Supposedly there are mountain lions but I’ve only heard of one person having seen one.... and well they didn’t even see it, they just said they heard it.

I’m only a few miles outside of downtown from that pic, actually.

On the way back this morning as the sun started to come up more....

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
:laugh:

Not another soul out there this morning. There are some moose occasionally, and deer. Supposedly there are mountain lions but I’ve only heard of one person having seen one.... and well they didn’t even see it, they just said they heard it.

I’m only a few miles outside of downtown from that pic, actually.

On the way back this morning as the sun started to come up more....

I can't see the pictures.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I saw this and was going to respond, but I'm not on here over the weekend much. You get all the info you needed?

Yeah, thanks for helping me and talking fishing with people and learning on the net has been fun and I am looking forward to getting out there in a couple weeks.

I couldn’t wait any longer and just picked something. Lamiglas 9 foot medium heavy rod with a Pflueger Supreme XT spinning reel. Salmon better take notice, there’s a new predator on the water.

P.S.- I hope I catch something. And I know I went a little excessive for a first rod/reel but I am serious about it and have worked hard all summer, all of which went to getting out of debt and getting a savings going so I gave myself a present. One of my new fishing friends said this is a smart way to go.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, thanks for helping me and talking fishing with people and learning on the net has been fun and I am looking forward to getting out there in a couple weeks.

I couldn’t wait any longer and just picked something. Lamiglas 9 foot medium heavy rod with a Pflueger Supreme XT spinning reel. Salmon better take notice, there’s a new predator on the water.

P.S.- I hope I catch something. And I know I went a little excessive for a first rod/reel but I am serious about it and have worked hard all summer, all of which went to getting out of debt and getting a savings going so I gave myself a present. One of my new fishing friends said this is a smart way to go.

Cool, good luck man! You register on any of those sites and talk to them to learn?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Cool, good luck man! You register on any of those sites and talk to them to learn?

No, I haven’t registered yet but I will. I have watched some youtube videos of people salmon fishing in Chicago too. There is definitely a lot to learn and I’ve been trying to absorb as much as I can. I’m really excited for it. But yeah, I have a lot of questions, particularly with regard to what to do with the fish once you catch it. On the message boards, there are conflicting opinions on when to kill it/bleed it. What do you think? I’d prefer to do it at home but I don’t want toxins released into the flesh either. Plus, I still have to get a fishing license, hopefully that isn’t a hassle. But yeah, continuing to learn and know that I don’t know shit yet but the fishing community has been happy to help.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, I haven’t registered yet but I will. I have watched some youtube videos of people salmon fishing in Chicago too. There is definitely a lot to learn and I’ve been trying to absorb as much as I can. I’m really excited for it. But yeah, I have a lot of questions, particularly with regard to what to do with the fish once you catch it. On the message boards, there are conflicting opinions on when to kill it/bleed it. What do you think? I’d prefer to do it at home but I don’t want toxins released into the flesh either. Plus, I still have to get a fishing license, hopefully that isn’t a hassle. But yeah, continuing to learn and know that I don’t know **** yet but the fishing community has been happy to help.

Bleed immediately. Make sure you bring a cooler and ice with you. I typically snip the throat right where their gills come together when I bleed fish. A cheap pair of larger wire snips will do the trick, as will a filet knife. Do that, let em drain into the water, rinse off if you prefer, then put it on ice in a cooler. If you have an extra cooler just for fish(you probably want one as it will start to stink like fish and such after bleeding fish into it a bunch) then you can just snip the throat and toss em on ice without even letting em drain. They'll drain in the cooler and you can just rinse it out when you get home.

License is easy. Can do it right online and print it out. Buy Illinois License Online

Make sure you get the "Lake Michigan electronic salmon stamp" on your license or you can't harvest/fish for salmon and trout in LM. It will probably cost you around $23 online. And about $20 in a brick and mortar store.

If you don't want to do it online, you can go to Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, or even Walmart and get one, and you'll avoid the $2 or $3 electronic processing fee. I always do it online so I can save it to my phone, and save it to my computer, and print multiple copies out, and the fee doesn't bother me, since it's going to the DNR. Then I keep one in my wallet, one in my boat, one in my car, one in my wading vest for when I wade rivers, and always have it on the phone to show them if I happen to forget or lose it somehow.

There is definitely a lot to learn, but the fishing community is very good about providing info for beginners. Most of us are happy to help anyone starting out, as we like to promote our hobby/sport.

Youtube videos are good, but a lot of those people do it for the clicks/exposure. The best info will likely come from the message boards. As will a lot of your better areas to fish.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you're shore fishing Lake Michigan, don't bleed them anywhere but in a cooler. You could just bring a big cooler and ice them. Or keep them alive on a stringer. I've always just kept perch alive in a basket until I leave, and then thrown them on ice. Keeps them really fresh.

A huge reason a lot of the fishing access is taken away along Lake Michigan is people complaining about "the mess".

Also, walleye >>> Salmon for eating. Salmon are obviously more fun/challenging to catch.

Salmon are way down my list of fish to eat actually.

Crappie, Perch, Bluegill, Walleye, Catfish, then Salmon.

You also need to be careful with the big salmon out of Lake Michigan as far as chemicals are concerned.

Lake Michigan | IDPH

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
If you're shore fishing Lake Michigan, don't bleed them anywhere but in a cooler. You could just bring a big cooler and ice them. Or keep them alive on a stringer. I've always just kept perch alive in a basket until I leave, and then thrown them on ice. Keeps them really fresh.

A huge reason a lot of the fishing access is taken away along Lake Michigan is people complaining about "the mess".

Also, walleye >>> Salmon for eating. Salmon are obviously more fun/challenging to catch.

You also need to be careful with the big salmon out of Lake Michigan as far as chemicals are concerned.

Lake Michigan | IDPH

You can bleed em and rinse em in the water. Just don't bleed em all over the sidewalks and stuff. And a stringer is tough with the high walls and multiple big fish on it. Cooler and ice is best, though. And I think he's doing it for the health benefits of salmon. Most the other fish are best with some form of breading and fried or baked. Although baked gills, crappie, walleye, etc. are good, you still usually put some form of breading on them.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You can bleed em and rinse em in the water. Just don't bleed em all over the sidewalks and stuff. And a stringer is tough with the high walls and multiple big fish on it. Cooler and ice is best, though. And I think he's doing it for the health benefits of salmon. Most the other fish are best with some form of breading and fried or baked. Although baked gills, crappie, walleye, etc. are good, you still usually put some form of breading on them.

The water is typically a long way down if you're shore fishing Lake Michigan. lol

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Lake Michigan | IDPH

Very helpful. I’ll probably just keep the smallest I can then. Yeah, I was worried about that because I am always hearing about the latest waste spills into Lake Michigan and they happen a lot, sometimes on purpose to see if they can get away with it, even in 2018. It’s part of the reason I only drink spring water. Every time water comes up, people always say the lake water is the best. Next time someone says that, ask them why. It’s just something people parrot amongst each other. Spring water is the best you can get for a good price. I like the Fiji water the best but it’s not practical for me to buy that all the time and I like the convenience of my water cooler.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Very helpful. I’ll probably just keep the smallest I can then. Yeah, I was worried about that because I am always hearing about the latest waste spills into Lake Michigan and they happen a lot, sometimes on purpose to see if they can get away with it, even in 2018. It’s part of the reason I only drink spring water. Every time water comes up, people always say the lake water is the best. Next time someone says that, ask them why. It’s just something people parrot amongst each other. Spring water is the best you can get for a good price. I like the Fiji water the best but it’s not practical for me to buy that all the time and I like the convenience of my water cooler.

You can keep bigger fish. And remember that in fall when the king salmon make their run into the tributaries, the older fish - the 3 & 4 year olds, are the ones you're catching. So these fish will range anywhere from 10-20lbs typically. You're perfectly fine keeping and eating any of those fish that size. Just do it in moderation. I think they recommend not more than once a week or something like that.

My ex-father-in-law used to work at a water treatment plant in Kentucky, and water is cleaned pretty damn well before you drink it. It has to pass strict testing in order to be sent out to homes for consumption. Just keep that in mind.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You can keep bigger fish. And remember that in fall when the king salmon make their run into the tributaries, the older fish - the 3 & 4 year olds, are the ones you're catching. So these fish will range anywhere from 10-20lbs typically. You're perfectly fine keeping and eating any of those fish that size. Just do it in moderation. I think they recommend not more than once a week or something like that.

My ex-father-in-law used to work at a water treatment plant in Kentucky, and water is cleaned pretty damn well before you drink it. It has to pass strict testing in order to be sent out to homes for consumption. Just keep that in mind.

Understood. So is this just applicable to salmon from the lake or salmon in general? Because I eat salmon from the store 2 or 3 times a week regularly.

As for the water, I believe you. But I don’t use that lake water from my faucet for anything other than washing dishes for last 6 or 7 years and I feel better for it. I drink A LOT of water, and the faucet water would sometimes make me vomit when consumed in large quantities. May have been a local issue with the pipes or something but you can’t beat spring water at whatever temp you want through the water cooler.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Understood. So is this just applicable to salmon from the lake or salmon in general? Because I eat salmon from the store 2 or 3 times a week regularly.

Fish caught from LM. Although I believe most fish have warnings related to mercury levels and other things of that nature. Fish eat smaller fish, which eat zooplankton and shrimp and other assorted things that may eat from the bottom of that particular body of water, which may contain toxins. Bottom feeding fish are obviously worse than those that eat other fish in open water.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do believe most of the larger species in Lake Michigan are 1 meal per month recommended.

Edit:

Brown Trout
brown-trout-small-121616.jpg
Common Carp
common-carp-small-112916.jpg
Channel Catfish
channel-catfish-small-120716.jpg
Chinook Salmon
chinook-salmon-small-121616.jpg
All Sizes
1 meal/month
All Sizes
1 meal/month
All Sizes
Do Not Eat
All Sizes
1 meal/month
Coho Salmon
cohosalmon-small-121616.jpg
Lake Trout
laketrout-small-121616.jpg
Rainbow Trout
rainbowtrout-small-121616.jpg
Yellow Perch
yellow-perch-small-121616.jpg
Less than 24"
1 meal/week
- or -
24" or Longer
1 meal/month
Less than 30"
1 meal/month
- or -
30" or Longer
Do Not Eat
Less than 28"
1 meal/week
- or -
28" or Longer
1 meal/month
Less than 11"
1 meal/week
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lake Whitefish
lake-whitefish-121616.jpg
Smelt
No Image Available
All Sizes
1 meal/month
All Sizes
1 meal/week
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Vacation really screwed up my workout groove. I had two 5 day vacations in August. My workouts have been crap. Last night was an alright workout.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for last 4-5 months religiously though, wonder if I'm burning out.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Changed over to a more full body 5 day split. Lift, cardio, lift, cardio, lift. Less weight, more reps sucks.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Changed over to a more full body 5 day split. Lift, cardio, lift, cardio, lift. Less weight, more reps sucks.

You think so? Any programs you recommend? I thought I was making pretty solid progress on 5/3/1, but maybe it's time for a change. My squat and deadlift benefited for sure.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Vacation really screwed up my workout groove. I had two 5 day vacations in August. My workouts have been crap. Last night was an alright workout.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for last 4-5 months religiously though, wonder if I'm burning out.

I feel you. Worked out like 3 times this month. Bachelor party, then a 1-week vacation in Cozumel, followed by getting hand foot and mouth disease which I’m getting close to being over. Hoping to get back on the grind on Monday. Diet went to shit too because of the HFM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad