OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
You think so? Any programs you recommend? I thought I was making pretty solid progress on 5/3/1, but maybe it's time for a change. My squat and deadlift benefited for sure.

I just kind of do my own thing, don't follow a program. At my age I kind of decided to stop going so heavy. Try to slim up some, not hurt myself trying to squat 400 lbs.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't get it either. Ketosis is basically what happens when you're malnourished. I read up on the Keto diet a while back and it sounds absolutely awful.

I have no idea how I could function without carbs. If you're an active person, Keto just seems like a horrible idea.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don’t understand the Keto trend.

It’s easy to follow that’s why it’s so popular.

I don’t like it or think it’s healthy the way most people follow it, but I understand why people do it. People just assume skinny = healthy even though it doesn’t.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No carbs means no vegetables. That doesn’t make any sense. You need those vitamins and also you don’t want to be all backed up.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
No carbs means no vegetables. That doesn’t make any sense. You need those vitamins and also you don’t want to be all backed up.
It's net carbs, which is just total carbs minus fiber. Veggies generally have a small amount of net carbs. I ate a shit ton of them when I was actually doing keto.

I did a sort of half-assed keto with no macro counting. Basically just stayed away from grains and starches. I ate as much veggies as I wanted and limited the fruit intake.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It's net carbs, which is just total carbs minus fiber. Veggies generally have a small amount of net carbs. I ate a **** ton of them when I was actually doing keto.

I did a sort of half-assed keto with no macro counting. Basically just stayed away from grains and starches. I ate as much veggies as I wanted and limited the fruit intake.

Isn’t there even a minuscule limit to how many carbs you have when doing it that way?

Like something such as a sweet potato which is unbelievably healthy for you is never even an option, but iceberg lettuce is which has very little nutritional value. Ridiculous.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Isn’t there even a minuscule limit to how many carbs you have when doing it that way?

Like something such as a sweet potato which is unbelievably healthy for you is never even an option, but iceberg lettuce is which has very little nutritional value. Ridiculous.
It's like 5% of your caloric intake, so yea. No bananas, sweet potatoes, etc...

I had a good experience with it. Felt great most the time and it was easy to combine with intermittent fasting, too, which I still do.

Reactions: RayP

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's net carbs, which is just total carbs minus fiber. Veggies generally have a small amount of net carbs. I ate a **** ton of them when I was actually doing keto.

Ok, that makes sense. That’s basically what I’ve been doing. Not much fruit anymore but a lot of salad and some veggies. Mostly protein and fat besides that. What’s the benefit of achieving Ketosis vs. a low carb diet 20-30 carbs above that? Is it just faster results or is there more to it?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Ok, that makes sense. That’s basically what I’ve been doing. Not much fruit anymore but a lot of salad and some veggies. Mostly protein and fat besides that. What’s the benefit of achieving Ketosis vs. a low carb diet 20-30 carbs above that? Is it just faster results or is there more to it?
I think it's supposed to be more efficient.

Idk, I broke my sort of ketosis every Saturday drinking beer anyways.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Switched my routine...

Day A: BP 5/3/1+, SQ 5 x 10 @ 75%, Chins 5 x 10
Day B: DL 5/3/1+, DL maybe 3x5, OHP 3 x 8-10
Day C: SQ 5/3/1+, BP 5 x 10, BB Row 3 x 8-10
Accessories every day: Curls 3 x 12, Tricep Pulldown 3 x 10, Ab Wheels

5/3/1 75%/85%/95%

That 5 X 10 SQ is kicking my ass. I like it tho. Feels great so far.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
So I'm looking to scoop up an used treadmill but I don't want to buy a total piece of crap... Anyone have experience with this?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Specific diets almost always seem way too complicated to me. To each their own of course, but just general eating well and exercising are simple and effective enough that I don't know why people add all these restrictions and intricacies into their day-to-day.

No offense to anyone in here currently on a diet or that's used a diet to lose a bunch of weight, but from experience I feel like people get wrapped up in diets more so because they temporarily (VERY temporarily at that) put you in the mental state where you're motivated to be healthy and the guidelines to the diet offer a sort of comfort and focus you obviously don't have when you're being healthy. I can't even remember how many fad diets have come out in my lifetime alone, all of them claim to have THE secret, when in reality it's not that complicated.

Workout 3-5 days a week, doing something/anything to build/maintain muscle and do cardio for at least 30 minutes to the point where you're breaking a sweat. You know when you're eating something you shouldn't be, or when you're eating too much of something. The fat flies off, you're taking care of your lungs and heart, and you're making yourself happier every day you do it.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Specific diets almost always seem way too complicated to me. To each their own of course, but just general eating well and exercising are simple and effective enough that I don't know why people add all these restrictions and intricacies into their day-to-day.

No offense to anyone in here currently on a diet or that's used a diet to lose a bunch of weight, but from experience I feel like people get wrapped up in diets more so because they temporarily (VERY temporarily at that) put you in the mental state where you're motivated to be healthy and the guidelines to the diet offer a sort of comfort and focus you obviously don't have when you're being healthy. I can't even remember how many fad diets have come out in my lifetime alone, all of them claim to have THE secret, when in reality it's not that complicated.

Workout 3-5 days a week, doing something/anything to build/maintain muscle and do cardio for at least 30 minutes to the point where you're breaking a sweat. You know when you're eating something you shouldn't be, or when you're eating too much of something. The fat flies off, you're taking care of your lungs and heart, and you're making yourself happier every day you do it.

Obviously, everyone is different, but I’ve found 3 things help exponentially and hurt just as much when not followed:

1. Drink at least 10 pints of water per day.

2. Eat at least 1 pound of salad per day, 4-6 oz lettuce/spinach, fill the rest with whatever else you like, which will be mostly water weight.

3. Don’t eat a meal after 6PM. If you are really hungry, just a snack.

If you follow these 3 things strictly, the rest of your diet can be pretty much whatever you want and you will see results.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Well... I broke away from the gym membership for good. It was only $10 a month but my homegym has everything it needs now with the addition of a Rogue Ohio Power Bar and pulley system for my cage.

All and all, I'm in around $1,000. Gym was roughly $150 a year. Payback around 6.5 years. Work out 1000x more since it's at my house tho. Very happy.

Barbell set me back $310 but it's stainless steel and will last through an apocolypse aka Texas summers.

If I can convince the wife to powerlift with me, I'll be golden.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
How much does a squat rack run?

Only made it to the gym like 3 times in August between vacations and getting hand foot and mouth disease. Sucks feeling like all the progress I made is gone because of the deloads. Ate and drank like shit for 2-3 weeks in August as well. Crushed it from March-July and feel like I’m starting over now.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
How much does a squat rack run?

Only made it to the gym like 3 times in August between vacations and getting hand foot and mouth disease. Sucks feeling like all the progress I made is gone because of the deloads. Ate and drank like **** for 2-3 weeks in August as well. Crushed it from March-July and feel like I’m starting over now.

Depends. Rogue Fitness is like the Apple of work out equipment. It will set you back a fortune, but it is amazing gear. I use Titan Fitness, which is middle tier, pretty much a copy of Rogue without the fancy colors and what not.

Rack $400
Bench $100
Starter Weight sets $200ish
*DBs if you don't have some will run you quite a bit as well

Not having to clean up disgusting sweat, pick up plates left on the ground, no wait times, and being 15 seconds away from the gym at all times is a nice perk.

Reactions: TorMenT

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Trail race today at the Snowbird Ski Resort, not too far outside SLC. 8.7 miles and about 3500 feet of elevation gain, Sears tower is about 1700 feet, for perspective.

Tough as shit but a ton of fun. Going downhill sucked really bad. Trails so dry you couldn’t even walk/run down, feet just sliding like they were on ice. Had to climb over some huge rock/boulder fields as well.

If you zoom in you can see people....

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Routine interrupted by post-ride hamstring tendon inflammation. [106 mi./5500 ft. of climbing.] Advised by medico to rest 7-10 days. During the rest... URI hit me and knocked me back during the Labor Day weekend. So I'm back, but... rain in the forecast all week.

Indoor training (e.g.: stair-steps & jump-rope) until further notice.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Some mountain biking after work last night with some buddies. First time tackling a hill that goes by the name of “Puke Hill.” :yo:

yf4TLjR_d.jpg

sqHWINE_d.jpg

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Most of the summer I have not been working out and my diet has been solid but not as good as I was doing before. But most of all, I have spent a lot of time awake working and not enough sleeping. I know that is not an excuse for slacking on my fitness goals, but I just wanted to put everything on hold until I was done with the financial stuff.

Well, I just had a physical and I was worried about it going in given the way I’ve been living. My blood pressure was damn near perfect, I couldn’t believe it. It has to be my mental state. I swear, I wish everyone could have that because this is just ridiculous.

Now it’s time to count my blessings and get back at it with my fitness goals. I feel so lucky. If you have any anger or unresolved issues, work on that, that’s probably even more important to your physical health than diet and exercise. It’s incredible.

Reactions: Kurtosis

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Most of the summer I have not been working out and my diet has been solid but not as good as I was doing before. But most of all, I have spent a lot of time awake working and not enough sleeping. I know that is not an excuse for slacking on my fitness goals, but I just wanted to put everything on hold until I was done with the financial stuff.

Well, I just had a physical and I was worried about it going in given the way I’ve been living. My blood pressure was damn near perfect, I couldn’t believe it. It has to be my mental state. I swear, I wish everyone could have that because this is just ridiculous.

Now it’s time to count my blessings and get back at it with my fitness goals. I feel so lucky. If you have any anger or unresolved issues, work on that, that’s probably even more important to your physical health than diet and exercise. It’s incredible.
Good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad