OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah I do, with very reasonable prices as well. We got 3/4 pound of wild caught kind salmon last night for $15. It was incredible. Enough for dinner for 2 and lunch for me today.

I’ve reached a point I won’t bother with farm raised fish.

Yeah, the place I can get it from is like $23/lb when not on sale but comparing that to your price, it’s about the same. I guess I should just go ahead and start buying it then. I don’t really care about the money anyway, like you said, it’s amazing stuff, well worth it. Plus, not drinking has put extra money in my pocket.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, the place I can get it from is like $23/lb when not on sale but comparing that to your price, it’s about the same. I guess I should just go ahead and start buying it then. I don’t really care about the money anyway, like you said, it’s amazing stuff, well worth it. Plus, not drinking has put extra money in my pocket.

Take up fishing. Catch fish in Lake Michigan in the city. Eat your own fresh fish for a fraction of the cost. You're welcome. :thumbu:

To get more detailed about this... there are times in Chicago when you can walk the lakeshore and catch king salmon like shooting fish in a barrel. Usually August - October as they make their way into the rivers/tribs for their spawning behavior. You'll need pretty heavy gear, and a big net.

The same goes for Coho salmon. You can usually catch them in the harbors and close to shore from March - May. Weather/wind play a factor in this, obviously. But they're there, and lots of people catch them from shore.

You're allowed 5 per day. Get a vacuum sealer. In a matter of a few weeks, you can have a year's worth of salmon in your freezer, vacuum sealed, and ready to thaw/eat for a long time.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Take up fishing. Catch fish in Lake Michigan in the city. Eat your own fresh fish for a fraction of the cost. You're welcome. :thumbu:

To get more detailed about this... there are times in Chicago when you can walk the lakeshore and catch king salmon like shooting fish in a barrel. Usually August - October as they make their way into the rivers/tribs for their spawning behavior. You'll need pretty heavy gear, and a big net.

The same goes for Coho salmon. You can usually catch them in the harbors and close to shore from March - May. Weather/wind play a factor in this, obviously. But they're there, and lots of people catch them from shore.

You're allowed 5 per day. Get a vacuum sealer. In a matter of a few weeks, you can have a year's worth of salmon in your freezer, vacuum sealed, and ready to thaw/eat for a long time.

That sounds awesome, thanks for the tip. I think I’ll give it a shot. I’m guessing my ugly stick won’t cut it, but yeah, I can go to bass pro shop and get whatever I need. Thanks, had no idea you could catch them from the shore.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Lake Michigan has salmon? I had no clue. I only knew they had that super invasive and awful Chinese carp or whatever it is.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Lake Michigan has salmon? I had no clue. I only knew they had that super invasive and awful Chinese carp or whatever it is.

LM has every freshwater fish you could think of. King salmon, Coho salmon, lake trout, rainbow trout(steelhead), brown trout. Then the usual like smallmouth and largemouth bass, pike, walleye, bluegill, catfish, lake perch, etc. Asian carp haven't made it that far yet, btw. They've kept them out of LM for now.

If you were being sarcastic, then ignore all of the above lol.

Reactions: RayP

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That sounds awesome, thanks for the tip. I think I’ll give it a shot. I’m guessing my ugly stick won’t cut it, but yeah, I can go to bass pro shop and get whatever I need. Thanks, had no idea you could catch them from the shore.

I'll PM you after I'm back from lunch with some info to get you started in the right direction.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
LM has every freshwater fish you could think of. King salmon, Coho salmon, lake trout, rainbow trout(steelhead), brown trout. Then the usual like smallmouth and largemouth bass, pike, walleye, bluegill, catfish, lake perch, etc. Asian carp haven't made it that far yet, btw. They've kept them out of LM for now.

If you were being sarcastic, then ignore all of the above lol.

No, not sarcastic. I eat a lot of fish but don’t know much about them beyond how to cook them.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No, not sarcastic. I eat a lot of fish but don’t know much about them beyond how to cook them.

I eat a lot of fish. I haven't bought fish in like 10 years. Much cheaper to invest in some fishing gear once and then catch your own fresh fish. Doesn't get any fresher than caught the day you cook it. :thumbu:
My freezer currently has about a dozen vacuum sealed packages of assorted fish including walleye, perch, crappie, bluegill, trout, and salmon, portioned out for different occasions, either me and my fiance eating, or the two of us and our daughters.
Lake perch are especially easy to catch from shore the majority of the year, and are one of the best freshwater fish you'll ever eat. We catch them at navy pier all winter long.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I eat a lot of fish. I haven't bought fish in like 10 years. Much cheaper to invest in some fishing gear once and then catch your own fresh fish. Doesn't get any fresher than caught the day you cook it. :thumbu:
My freezer currently has about a dozen vacuum sealed packages of assorted fish including walleye, perch, crappie, bluegill, trout, and salmon, portioned out for different occasions, either me and my fiance eating, or the two of us and our daughters.
Lake perch are especially easy to catch from shore the majority of the year, and are one of the best freshwater fish you'll ever eat. We catch them at navy pier all winter long.

We have a friend taking us fly fishing soon in one of the canyons out here. Pretty excited for that. Some pretty big trout they’ve had luck catching regularly.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

That's awesome to be that well stocked at home. I hated fish and any kind of seafood my whole life until I got into my 20's and started to come around to some of it, fish in particular.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That's awesome to be that well stocked at home. I hated fish and any kind of seafood my whole life until I got into my 20's and started to come around to some of it, fish in particular.

Yep. My freezer full of fish is probably $300+ at the grocery store, and I paid for it with nothing but my time, and some gas to get the boat to the lake. Obviously I've invested in gear over the years, lots of money actually, but once that initial investment is done, it ends up paying for itself pretty quickly.

Anyone can hit a pond with basic gear and catch bluegill and crappie to put in their freezer, too, and they're two of the best eating fish you can catch. And again, being caught the day you cook it, you'll never have fresher fish. And they're in just about every pond you ever see. Just avoid keeping them from subdivision drainage/retention ponds. A lot of insecticide and fertilizers and stuff like that drain into those. You want to find ponds off the beaten path a little bit. Ones that aren't surrounded by a subdivision or manicured land/landscaping. For a $25 investment in gear, and a few bucks in nightcrawlers, you can go to a pond once or twice a week and catch a couple meals worth of bluegills or crappies. Just remember to not over-fish/over-harvest one pond. Find a few different ones and rotate through them. And don't keep everything, obviously. Limit it to as much as you want for a couple meals, and try to keep the mid-sized fish over the largest fish. They taste better, and the larger fish are usually your healthiest breeding stock. For bluegills, I try to keep the 7-10 inchers. I throw back anything over 10 and under 7. Crappies, I usually keep anything from 10-13 inches, and throw back anything under 10 or over 13. Unless I'm on a lake like Heidecke, where all the crappie you catch are basically 13-16 inches. :laugh:

When you look online, a 5lb box of either species I mentioned typically runs anywhere from $75-$100. And they won't be as fresh as the ones you catch, ever, obviously. You can put 5lbs of bluegills in your freezer in an afternoon at a pond sitting with some beers and soaking some nightcrawlers.

And if you want the best tasting fish you'll ever have... ice fishing is the way to go. Nothing better than freshly caught fish through the ice and that super cold water.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
So on my clean bulk I got going on now, I’ve been eating lots of plain brown rice, whole grain noodles, and quinoa. Anyone got any good seasoning tips? Getting tired of plain and not looking for big recipes or sauces or anything. Just some simple seasoning.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I fish for fun and not for food, but here's a great resource for those looking to fish locally. Yes, the fish was released to fight another angler.

Windycityfishing.com • View topic - From the industrial park fountain

Oh, I fish for fun the majority of the time, also. But it's always nice to have fresh fish vacuum sealed in the freezer, and it's much cheaper than buying pretty much any fish from the market.

I wasn't sure if we could post links to other sites, so I was pm'ing with CS. I'm all over that site and the others for the Chicagoland area, also. I'm sure you'd know who I was if I mentioned my name from WCF. :laugh:

@ColdSteel2 those king salmon should be starting to move in and out near-shore anytime in the next 2-3 weeks further north(think Waukegan, Winthrop Harbor). And the city should start to see them by mid September. The hottest time for shore anglers to get king salmon will be coming up very soon. Just so you're aware. Watch for the wind to be blowing out away from shore for a consistent time period(a couple days). When the warm water is blown out, the kings should start to come within reach of the shore anglers. Remember to get your fishing license, btw. :thumbu:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Oh, I fish for fun the majority of the time, also. But it's always nice to have fresh fish vacuum sealed in the freezer, and it's much cheaper than buying pretty much any fish from the market.

I wasn't sure if we could post links to other sites, so I was pm'ing with CS. I'm all over that site and the others for the Chicagoland area, also. I'm sure you'd know who I was if I mentioned my name from WCF. :laugh:

@ColdSteel2 those king salmon should be starting to move in and out near-shore anytime in the next 2-3 weeks further north(think Waukegan, Winthrop Harbor). And the city should start to see them by mid September. The hottest time for shore anglers to get king salmon will be coming up very soon. Just so you're aware. Watch for the wind to be blowing out away from shore for a consistent time period(a couple days). When the warm water is blown out, the kings should start to come within reach of the shore anglers. Remember to get your fishing license, btw. :thumbu:

Thanks man, great info. Yeah, that timeline works perfect for me, been working the weekends this summer but those jobs are coming to an end right around mid September so I’ll be gone fishing by then, will let y’all know how it goes, planning on posting a picture of 5 freshly caught King Salmon but however it goes, will have fun with it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Share some pics of king salmon you catch, please. :nod:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Share some pics of king salmon you catch, please. :nod:

I'll let CS handle that. I don't really fish for salmon much, unless I'm on someone else's boat. My main target species is walleye, typically, and salmon requires an entirely different set of gear than the gear I use for targeting walleye, and that comes at a pretty significant cost.(at least fishing from my boat for salmon would). Shore fishing for them would be cheaper, but I usually don't have the time during the fall, as I'm hunting down walleye on other bodies of water at the same time that the salmon are in close to shore.

If you wanna see some pics of Chicago caught salmon/trout, though, I'll PM you a messageboard that you can check out. Guys are out there daily catching em.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayP

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Signed up for a 50K trail run in November, in beautiful Moab. Never ran further than a marathon before, but looking forward to it. Moab is just all sorts of awesome.

Making a long weekend out of it and going to rent a Jeep one day, some razrs another day, and get some mountain biking in as well. Can’t wait. :yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Love running. Put me on a trail with a camelbak for hours and I couldn’t be happier.

Meanwhile to me sitting in a gym lifting weights is the most boring thing ever. Spend half the time just sitting around resting and looking at your phone. Get me outside on a trail and/or on a bike.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I hate running.

I do loving riding a bike though. I am buying a road bike this fall once I find the right one.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I hate running.

I do loving riding a bike though. I am buying a road bike this fall once I find the right one.

What are you looking into? I’m shopping new road bikes for my wife currently. Debating between a Giant TCR or Defy for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->