OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Suffered my first major “failure” with regards to fitness.

I’d completed the marathon in Manchester the last three years and set out to try and hit a personal record yesterday.

Instead, I shit the bed at mile 23 and DNF.

After a day of feeling sorry for myself, I’m more determined than ever to get back at it.

DNF's are tough. But it's smart to pull yourself out.

Did you bonk or was there an injury?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
DNF's are tough. But it's smart to pull yourself out.

Did you bonk or was there an injury?

My wave was one of the later starts and it was 73-75 degrees by the time I hit miles 18-23, a stretch that has been my Achilles Heel each time I’ve completed this race.

I was cruising going into that stretch.

I should have slowed my pace and done a better job staying hydrated.

My left hip started hurting at mile 20 and I knew that if I started walking, I was DOA.

They had to rework the course this year and mile 21 was unexpectedly hilly and I had to walk up.

That was it. My calves locked and by the time I hit the aid station at the end of mile 23, I knew I was done.

I was furious.

I dumped my gear (arm band, phone, headphones) with my fiancé and thought I might be able to finish on guts, but it was clear right away that it wasn’t happening.

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My wave was one of the later starts and it was 73-75 degrees by the time I hit miles 18-23, a stretch that has been my Achilles Heel each time I’ve completed this race.

I was cruising going into that stretch.

I should have slowed my pace and done a better job staying hydrated.

My left hip started hurting at mile 20 and I knew that if I started walking, I was DOA.

They had to rework the course this year and mile 21 was unexpectedly hilly and I had to walk up.

That was it. My calves locked and by the time I hit the aid station at the end of mile 23, I knew I was done.

I was furious.

I dumped my gear (arm band, phone, headphones) with my fiancé and thought I might be able to finish on guts, but it was clear right away that it wasn’t happening.

You made the right call. Frustrating for sure, but better than sustaining a long term injury.

Reactions: smithformeragent

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Home gym is nearing completion.
DC4608A0-3516-4F80-A463-D1710DC820A8.jpeg
36C7E670-EC31-46C0-901C-A1A2864FF593.jpeg
16432BC6-0B63-41FB-9B29-D0C769AF4C3E.jpeg
D492639D-22AA-424E-9B82-7AFB1BEBB173.jpeg
714CA023-4AB8-476D-AF5D-6E83ECC28C8D.jpeg
B2EC7DEF-51D5-4631-A56D-E101B5D2A43A.jpeg
41CDF0EC-A72C-4A26-8973-1D90AA863CD4.jpeg
35BC2E35-094A-4BFB-9A3A-5FA16B436568.jpeg
8A74FFBB-4ED9-4190-BF79-0D60EBEDEE5A.jpeg
D3D7C1CE-EF9A-47FD-B12D-2DE54F247A09.jpeg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
have set up an appointment with a Podiatrist, my right heel is consistently painful to walk on, no idea what`s going on, working in the business I do I always have very comfortable shoes/footwear due to working on my feet for extended hours. This getting old crap is tough

Reactions: Bruinaura

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

After I cancelled my gym membership in April, we got a Peloton and a basic power tower pullup/dip/push up station. So far, I'm finding it a near complete replacement for the gym. Doing just bodyweight exercise has added much more strength to my back and core. The only thing I'm missing is enough weight on chest exercises. I do pushups in sets of 30-40, and it just isn't enough resistance. Thinking a 60lb weight vest might solve that problem.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We have a wellness plan with UHC where you can earn up to $300 in gift cards per year. I'm already at $275. :laugh: You get $25 for completing a survey, $50 if you are tobacco-free, and $200 for completing one of their online courses. Figured I'd do the course since there's no guarantee we'll have a wellness screening at the office this year to earn gift cards through some of the other metrics.

I'm seriously considering doing Noom. Anyone here used that?

I'll be 50 in about two months. :eek: If I don't get myself in shape now, it's certainly never going to get easier.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
have set up an appointment with a Podiatrist, my right heel is consistently painful to walk on, no idea what`s going on, working in the business I do I always have very comfortable shoes/footwear due to working on my feet for extended hours. This getting old crap is tough
My chiropractor has me doing some exercises that I feel should not wear me out nearly to the extent they do. :help: Hence my renewed interest in getting myself in better shape.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Day 2 back doing barre and I can barely move. Cardio should be a blast tomorrow.

I am using the Openfit app and doing the XTend Barre program. I love it and had great results in less than 30 days and then it all went to hell after a shoulder injury and a concussion.

Doing this and the 16:8 intermittent fasting. Essentially I eat between 10-6 and then nothing after that. I fully expect to struggle but that is where healthy cheat snacks come in.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My doctor is thrilled (and so am I to be honest) that I have been able to maintain my 35 pound weight loss for two years now. Said that a lot of people lose weight but then put it all back on again.
But I need to take the next step & lose some more weight. I'm going to try ratcheting up the walking despite the weather. I will have to be careful not to aggravate the plantar fascitis again though. It's like my body has suddenly realized it is almost 58 years old, it just doesn't want to work like it used to! :wally:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

I had that too for years , then it just went away.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I'm seriously considering doing Noom. Anyone here used that?

I just started Noom less than a week ago...obviously too early to comment on it, but so far a lot of it has made sense to me and I am pleased with the very early results. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, and I will do my best to answer...

Reactions: Bruinaura

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I just started Noom less than a week ago...obviously too early to comment on it, but so far a lot of it has made sense to me and I am pleased with the very early results. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions, and I will do my best to answer...
Thanks! :) Hope it goes well for you!

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Been making more of an effort this winter to get out and run.

It’s a struggle compared to other seasons, but I invested in a good pair of trail running shoes so I’d have no excuses.

Indoor track on mornings where I can’t get a run in after work. Rocking the headlamp when it’s dark.

Had to run my Super Bowl 4 miler as a virtual due to quarantine, but got my sub 8 minute pace.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well, I joined Noom this week. So far, not bad.

Their app is a little weird though, and that's the only way you can use the account. There's no website. :huh: I guess they figure you're more apt to use it on your phone since most people have that with them constantly?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Bump.

4am still comes early each morning.

Still plugging away.

Mid 30s feels a lot different than mid 20s did.
I wake up sore as shit most mornings.

Leg day sucks just as bad as ever.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Down from 230 to 198 since October. Cholesterol from 155 to 132
BP 185/125 to 119/76.

Stuck w weight for about 6 weeks and doing a strict calorie count.

Cardio almost daily between treadmill bike

“Lifting” with a couple kettlebells, some free weights and bands

Its something

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I am going back to the pool tonight. I have one dose of vaccine and the YMCA requires you to book single lane swimming 72 hours in advance. I got the last appointment of the day so I am hoping there aren't many people around. If I get a feeling that my safety is at risk I won't be getting in the pool and will ask for a refund.

I am nervous but looking forward to it

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Down from 230 to 198 since October. Cholesterol from 155 to 132
BP 185/125 to 119/76.

Stuck w weight for about 6 weeks and doing a strict calorie count.

Cardio almost daily between treadmill bike

“Lifting” with a couple kettlebells, some free weights and bands

Its something
Cholesterol number is worthless,BP is outstanding.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My gym finally opened yesterday and I got a workout in last night.

What does everyone suggest for a routine? Right now my primary goals are to lose some pandemic weight and tone up a bit.

Last fall before everything shut down, I started doing a push day/pull day split schedule - nothing really advanced, but just doing the machines and focusing on triceps/chest on one day and biceps/back the next. I know I've been ignoring leg day though.

My general plan going forward is to start with 30 minutes of cardio then a workout. Maybe 5 days a week push-pull-legs-rest-push-pull. But I'm open to adjustments.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
My gym finally opened yesterday and I got a workout in last night.

What does everyone suggest for a routine? Right now my primary goals are to lose some pandemic weight and tone up a bit.

Last fall before everything shut down, I started doing a push day/pull day split schedule - nothing really advanced, but just doing the machines and focusing on triceps/chest on one day and biceps/back the next. I know I've been ignoring leg day though.

My general plan going forward is to start with 30 minutes of cardio then a workout. Maybe 5 days a week push-pull-legs-rest-push-pull. But I'm open to adjustments.

My lifting routine has never changed in 32 years......Started this routine back in my Navy days, to help build strength to pull g's.

On any given day, pick 3 out of the 5:

Barbell Shoulder Press
Pull Ups
Bench Press
Deadlift
Barbell Squat

# of sets and reps will vary depending on what you are trying to achieve (mass vs endurance), but you'll work every muscle in your body by rotating through these 5.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad