OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I ran the New Boston Half Marathon this morning.

Beautiful course!
Considering I didn’t really train, I’ll take the 1:55:33 finish.

The real hilight came on the walk back to the car when I tried making small talk with another runner. I commented on how warm it got; 72 degrees by the time we finished.

He then started berating me for running in a baseball cap and wearing headphones. He lectured me on how it ruins the running experience because it eliminates the interaction between runners, and that headphones used to be banned in all sanctioned events.
The guy was dropping F bombs. It was like my dad was lecturing me as a child.

I explained to him that I got where he was coming from for sure, but just like Maui is nothing without his hook, I’m nothing without music.

We then discussed the psychological challenges of distance running, and how bonking a race can do a number on one’s psyche. He advised me not to look at my time or the course mile markers, and instead to find an attractive female to run behind and (you can imagine).

I told him I had to get in my car and go home to my cats.

He told me his name is Heath.

I said I’d see him at the next race, but that I still planned on wearing headphones.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
BUMP

My wife and I are trying for little SFAs and we both went on crash diets.

Down 9 lbs in 3 weeks.
839C9272-0C81-4B93-BDEA-B8FDF189959B.jpeg

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Hockey 3-4 times/week

Weights on the off days, lof of body weight stuff too.

Mostly do super and drop sets these days, pull push combos to failure.

For instance: weighted dips -> skull crushers -> push ups, no pause between

I am not really making any progress though, fine with that, body weight remains constant.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’m going to start doing intermittent fasting and finally going to get back to doing barre workouts.

I already do fasting it is just that I need to eat better food and portion control.

I’ll start walking again in a few more weeks once the sunrise is earlier and also when it is a little warmer.

I’ve got 3 months to lose 20lbs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I managed to get through my annual 6 week mid winter weather imposed break on walking without putting on any weight, usually I put on 5-7 pounds before resuming walking. Not this year, I haven't been eating as much since Mom passed, I just don't have the appetite.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I joined Noom in January of 2021 and have stuck with it for 14 months and have been pleased with the results; down 60 pounds and have developed a much better diet, new mindset towards food and weight loss, and feel like I have finally sounds something that works and makes sense to me.

It's mostly common sense, and I don't buy into everything about the program but it has been good for me thus far...and I could definitely still stand to lose a few more pounds!

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I ran the New Boston Half Marathon this morning.

Beautiful course!
Considering I didn’t really train, I’ll take the 1:55:33 finish.

The real hilight came on the walk back to the car when I tried making small talk with another runner. I commented on how warm it got; 72 degrees by the time we finished.

He then started berating me for running in a baseball cap and wearing headphones. He lectured me on how it ruins the running experience because it eliminates the interaction between runners, and that headphones used to be banned in all sanctioned events.
The guy was dropping F bombs. It was like my dad was lecturing me as a child.

I explained to him that I got where he was coming from for sure, but just like Maui is nothing without his hook, I’m nothing without music.

We then discussed the psychological challenges of distance running, and how bonking a race can do a number on one’s psyche. He advised me not to look at my time or the course mile markers, and instead to find an attractive female to run behind and (you can imagine).

I told him I had to get in my car and go home to my cats.

He told me his name is Heath.

I said I’d see him at the next race, but that I still planned on wearing headphones.
This is funny .Pure pyscho :laugh:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I've had a lot going on, both good and bad; I check this site daily, but have been lurking more than posting. Cool to see this thread reemerge, though.

For most of the last two months, the weather where I'm at has been cooler, and dare I say, cold. What a difference! It makes all forms of exercise so much more enjoyable without the excessive heat I fight most of the year. Then again, I don't really think of it as exercise. I took up jumping rope years ago, and it's become kind of a passion. It's as much mentally invigorating as it is physically.

I learned some difficult double under moves that are quite fun; though getting there wasn't easy. Lots of bruises, since the rope is going so fast. Just for kicks I donned the eye black to see if it really reflects the sun. But of course no sooner did I put it on, and the clouds arrived - oh well!

This is a short routine I'm going to make a music-video style routine with; but I'll probably shoot it again on a sunny day.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Does anybody have any links to good daily/pre-game stretching routines that are great for all the muscles in the upper leg and can help loosen up chronically tight hamstrings/thighs?

I'm a pitcher/outfielder and we've started spring practices for my 53+ mens baseball league. So far the arm has been really strong and feels great. The problem I've been having is with my legs. Every week it seems as though I'm tweaking some muscle in either my hammies, or in my quad of my plant leg. I stretch before each practice and also during the week, but whatever I'm doing isn't working.

I've always been a pretty mobile guy, in decent shape. However it seems like every practice, I'm finding some new muscle to strain, especially when I'm going from a full stop to running, or pushing off/planting on the pitching mound.

Thanks.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Does anybody have any links to good daily/pre-game stretching routines that are great for all the muscles in the upper leg and can help loosen up chronically tight hamstrings/thighs?

I'm a pitcher/outfielder and we've started spring practices for my 53+ mens baseball league. So far the arm has been really strong and feels great. The problem I've been having is with my legs. Every week it seems as though I'm tweaking some muscle in either my hammies, or in my quad of my plant leg. I stretch before each practice and also during the week, but whatever I'm doing isn't working.

I've always been a pretty mobile guy, in decent shape. However it seems like every practice, I'm finding some new muscle to strain, especially when I'm going from a full stop to running, or pushing off/planting on the pitching mound.

Thanks.

Maybe you need to hydrate more??? Or just need to do stretches for a longer period of time- as I've gotten older I find I have to do both.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I've had a lot going on, both good and bad; I check this site daily, but have been lurking more than posting. Cool to see this thread reemerge, though.

For most of the last two months, the weather where I'm at has been cooler, and dare I say, cold. What a difference! It makes all forms of exercise so much more enjoyable without the excessive heat I fight most of the year. Then again, I don't really think of it as exercise. I took up jumping rope years ago, and it's become kind of a passion. It's as much mentally invigorating as it is physically.

I learned some difficult double under moves that are quite fun; though getting there wasn't easy. Lots of bruises, since the rope is going so fast. Just for kicks I donned the eye black to see if it really reflects the sun. But of course no sooner did I put it on, and the clouds arrived - oh well!

This is a short routine I'm going to make a music-video style routine with; but I'll probably shoot it again on a sunny day.

Impressive!

Reactions: Aeroforce

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Thanks.

Have you ever done foam rolling? It's essentially fresh hell but it works wonders.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I started weight watchers last week. Weighed this morning and am down 5 pounds...yay!! But that can largely be attributed to me cutting out soda entirely, which always causes me to drop fast. I've also stopped fast food.

My struggle has always been that I don't really like to cook and as a single person, convenience usually ends up winning out. It doesn't help that there are dozens of restaurants I can easily stop by on my way home from work, and I got kind of addicted to Door Dash and Grub Hub besides that lol.

Anyway, none of it makes sense fiscally or for my health, so here I am. Five pounds down, a few *ahem* more to go.

This will not, however, stop me from posting virtual cookies on this here internet message board. ;)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I started weight watchers last week. Weighed this morning and am down 5 pounds...yay!! But that can largely be attributed to me cutting out soda entirely, which always causes me to drop fast. I've also stopped fast food.

My struggle has always been that I don't really like to cook and as a single person, convenience usually ends up winning out. It doesn't help that there are dozens of restaurants I can easily stop by on my way home from work, and I got kind of addicted to Door Dash and Grub Hub besides that lol.

Anyway, none of it makes sense fiscally or for my health, so here I am. Five pounds down, a few *ahem* more to go.

This will not, however, stop me from posting virtual cookies on this here internet message board. ;)

:phew: You had me worried there for a minute!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Anybody else tried the PB2 powder? Tried their peanut cocoa tonight, it's pretty decent. Just mix a couple tablespoons of powder with 1.5 tbs of water, makes a good spread with consistency of peanut butter.

20220320_194939.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad