Speculation: Head coaching candidates

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman will not bring in Babcock, Peters, or any coach that is under scrutiny by the league.

If Blashill get's fired today, then he better bring back Babcock and Bill Peters.... unless Yzerman thinks he can coach ad GM at the same time.

Maybe bring back Ken Holland ti GM and promote Yzerman to coach...

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Interim? I'd be fine with Bylsma.

John Cooper is the obvious choice if available however if not I'm hoping Bruce Boudreau gets let go by Minni. He may not be able to win in the playoffs, but he does very well in developing young players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just like there is no Captain there will be no HC. Yzerman will be the first to pioneer an all assistants team. All the players and coaches get A's stitched on their suits and uniforms.
It's been done, 2104 Devils had Oates and Stevens as co-head coach, after DeBoer was fired midseason.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I posted part of this in another thread, but its probably more appropriate here.

In the NHL, can a team hire an assistant coach of another team (like in the NFL how you can take a coordinator from another team and make them your head coach? ) If so, I wonder if Yzerman would consider Todd Nelson?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is Blashill next?

Don't think so.

Hynes had expectations. They got Subban for quite cheap, got Simmonds, good trde for Gusev, got Hughes. Hall as pending UFA, so success would have been critical to extend him.

But he got NO RESULTS after EXPECTATIONS.

Blashill head is on the table after Yzerman goes to UFA market, will sign a guy like Torey Krug, brings in new goaltender, wins the lottery (Lafreniere or Byfield, instant helpers) and adds forward depth.

So after that kind of summer Blashill would have EXPECTATIONS too, and then if we have poor results again, it's time to fire the coach.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also, if we're going to fire Blashill and promote one of the assistants I say go for Houda. Why should I trust Bylsma to do any good when we have terrible penalty killing and not much better power play, which is what he's supposed to be coaching right now?

Bylsma in responsible of the PP and forward lines.

So if there's Zadina on the wrong line and with less icetime, it's him who to blaim. Not Blashill.

Penalty kill and defence is on Houda.

Reactions: plymouthmi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In the NHL, can a team hire an assistant coach of another team ?

Yes, they can, but not during a season.

But definitely during an existing contract. You can hire, when it's for a promotional position. You can't hire assistant to be your assistant, or head to be head.

But from Assistant --> Head.

Reactions: kliq

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
You want him here to TANK harder than Blashill?
Uh, I didn't say that I wanted him I said I can't remember what that whole thing was about. Since all the coaches are now abusers, half expect him to resurface.

To me it doesn't really matter who's behind the wheel.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Because they are best available and would otherwise never consider coming to Detroit. They would now they are desperate and would probably take anything they can get to start rebuilding their rep. Win for Detroit. Because lets face it, no respectable coach is coming here.

Aside from them, there's nobody available I would take over Blashill.

If one of come available, I say jump - otherwise consider Babcock or keep what we have:

Trotz
Quinville
Tippet
Tortorella

Clearly Yzerman is happy with Blashill, so I don't see him getting canned anytime soon.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Igor Larionov, yeah..I said it.

Actually I love the idea of him being an assistant coach overseeing the forwards and the power play. That's if he wants to do it and is good at communicating and connecting with players. Intelligent minds like his sometimes have trouble communicating their vision. It's just too bad that as of today, he wouldn't have much to work with, skill-wise.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Because they are best available and would otherwise never consider coming to Detroit. They would now they are desperate and would probably take anything they can get to start rebuilding their rep. Win for Detroit. Because lets face it, no respectable coach is coming here.

Aside from them, there's nobody available I would take over Blashill.

If one of come available, I say jump - otherwise consider Babcock or keep what we have:

Trotz
Quinville
Tippet
Tortorella

Clearly Yzerman is happy with Blashill, so I don't see him getting canned anytime soon.
I am not risking the locker room by bringing in a headcase just because they may make a lousy team a little less lousy. You are taking five steps back in order to take a step forward.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I am not risking the locker room by bringing in a headcase just because they may make a lousy team a little less lousy. You are taking five steps back in order to take a step forward.

I'm sure one of Tortorella, Gallant or (maybe we can go as low as) Julien will get fired in the next few years.

Keep Blashill until a real coach becomes available.

That said, I would love Yzerman to stir the pot and take both Babcock and Peters... if for nothing else, just for the controversy of it! :D

And make Kid Rock the new equipment's manager.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just bring some one else for now, I turn tv of when I see Blashill face.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Guy Boucher isn't a bad choice to me. He can develop and get guys to play. Has experience with Yzerman in TB. Brought Ottawa to the eastern finals. Idk. IF they fired Blashill today this is who I'd want as an interim with the chance to keep the job permenatly.

I expect Yzerman to roll with Blashill till the season is over but there isn't a reason to bring him back the following season. They'll also be a bigger spectrum of candidates to choose from.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Yzerman isn't going to can Blashill to bring in a new full time replacement during the season - that candidate pool is so limited with NHL assistants, College and CHL coaches under contract and in the middle of their seasons.

What I do expect is the next coach will get a 4-5 year contract. Yzerman will want to empower his choice and make it known to the lockerroom who is running it. Could be a way to get the top choice candidate here as well given there could be 7-8 teams looking for replacements come the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00