Speculation: Head coaching candidates

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Finnish National Team Head coach Jukka Jalonen is the next on, and rips the NHL about the attitude problem against European coaches.

NHL-pestiä etsivää Jukka Jalosta turhauttaa asenne eurovalmentajia kohtaan: "Sitten on kyllä aika pihalla”

Jukka Jalonen asserts that European ice hockey will have a competitive edge for NHL.

Jukka Jalonen will continue as the Finland head coach until spring 2022 - unless he moves to the NHL before then.

- Yes, this international slump could bring something to the NHL. Yes, the best coaching skills in the world are not there.

That's what I can say with 100% certainty, Jalonen puts to Iltalehti.

The triple World Cup gold coach's contract includes a transferable NHL clause. Jalonen's departure would be a loss for the Finns,

but a good one for Finnish hockey.

Jalonen and national team GM Jere Lehtinen went to Canada and the United States last week to explore the interest of Finnish NHL players

in the spring World Championships. On the same trip, Jalonen met his own North American agent.

- I saw someone who was doing my business there. A brief meeting with him, but I had no contacts with the clubs, he says.

High threshold

The NHL coach market is tight and the threshold for hiring a European coach has remained high.

- Most coaches are friends of the head coach. That's probably the case here, but is it always the best possible equation..?
Jalonen asks rhetorically.

- As I watched a few teams play, I can say that I might be able to help them a little.

According to Jalonen, NHL bosses go after "we've always done this."

- Yes you are, but Florida, for example, how you have done lately as you think, he sets an example.

- I think it's pretty damn bad when you haven't been at the playoffs for a long time.

The Panthers haven't played playoff games in the last four years.

Case in Grönborg

Neil Glasberg, founder of PBI Sports & Entertainment, said in a recent interview with ESPN that no club wants to take a risk by
doing something different.

- The fear or lack of courage to make changes is as true as it can be, Jalonen confirms.

Former Swedish head coach Rikard Grönborg is one of Glasberg's clients. Last summer, Glasberg took Greenberg to meet the leaders of
16 NHL clubs, but the interviews were mostly courtesy meetings.

"One of the reasons why Grönborg didn't care so much about NHL clubs - and I kind of understand - was that he had never coached a
professional team at club level," Jalonen recalls.

This season, Grönborg is in such a rush for the first time as head coach of the Swiss ZSC Lions.

The experience is there

The 57-year-old Jalonen's CV is much greater in this regard. He made his debut as head coach at Ilves Tampere in 1992 and has also coached

the Lukko and HPK (with four bronze medals and the 2006 championship) in the Finnish League, as well as the KHL clubs St. Petersburg SKA

and Jokerit Helsinki.

- People need something to know or feel about who they might be acquiring. There must be some link in it. For Grönborg, there must have

been a Swedish NHL player, Jalonen believes.

- It would be best to be there and do it for yourself. However, this is my job here on other continent, so it won't work. My own style is

also not quite like that.

Is there any knowledge?

There are 31 teams in the NHL.

- If there's one GM who doesn't know who I am, then I think he's in the wrong place, Jalonen sighs in frustration.

He does not mean that every GM should know what kind of coach he is.

- But if you hear the name, it should be pretty quick to say yes, it coaches the Finnish national team and won gold last year.

- If there's no smell, then you are out of the lunch. Then you play there with your own playground.

Assistant coach

Jalonen is aware of the general opinion of NHL bosses that a top European coach should start in the Junior League or the AHL in

North America. He also knows that a career on a new continent should first be built as an assistant coach.

- It's probably realism. If there are a hundred assistant coaches, then a couple of Europeans will not fit in there.

Alpo Suhonen (Chicago Blackhawks) and the Czech Republic's Ivan Hlinka (Pittsburgh Penguins), who have just emerged through the

assistant coaching path, were the first European head coaches in the NHL in the 2000-2001 season.

Game opened

Jalonen considers the Grönborg interview an interesting opening.

- I argue that everyone reads it - unless it's just in their own backyard - and somebody can take it with their luck. In a way, the
game is a little open to the public.

Jalonen has not had any contact with the NHL clubs yet regarding coaching.

- There may be nothing. Still, remember that you don't have to wait for 30 clubs to make contacts. All it takes is one or two to come,
and if it's the right club, there it is.

- They talked to the agent about the places with their spiritual people who could get excited about the subject and want some
competitive advantage over their opponents.

- There are a million North American coaches out there, but what's the difference with one of them compared to another team coach,
when you could come up with something they don't have?

- They have their own strengths and we have ours here, Jalonen says.

- Someone understands it at some point, and then it starts.

The wall breaks

Jalonen is confident that the wall between the NHL and European coaches will break.

- That's for sure, but when it breaks and how, you don't know yet. Ten years goes, and there are European coaches, that's pretty sure.
Not one or two, but a little more.

- There's a slight delay here, but it's about to happen.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stevie Yzerman, you are the smartest man in hockey.

And Finland is the smartest coached team almost in any tournament.

You are gonna sign Lane Lambert as your head coach. I'm definitely fine that. He comes from a great coached team I believe has very great system. Some Finland things have been adopted there. But, also the personal connection to Finland is there. Lane Lambert's brother, Ross Lambert, has been a skill coach for years here in Finland. You have the connections to hire our best coaches from here. Get some Finnish assistants, and you'll never regret it. :)

Be the first one.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Before we bring new coach we need to know what is wrong with Blashill coaching and don't make same mistake. I don't know him much, but from interviews I sense that he is nice coach that players like, just like Galant and if I am right we should not bring one here, same results are expected.
The biggest problem that RW players have it's motivation, Larkin for example. And if I am write than we need some one like Babcock, Tortorella or Keenan

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Where does this weird belief of "Larkin not having motivation" come from?
How you explain his game this year?. Larkin never been like that. Only Bert and Hronek in entire team playing like it is meters

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How you explain his game this year?. Larkin never been like that. Only Bert and Hronek in entire team playing like it is meters

:facepalm:

Larkin is about to put up 60 points on the worst team of the last 30 years while playing pretty dinged up at times at least in terms of several in the organization eluding to that being a factor.

Honestly Bert and Hronek have been pretty meh to bad since the calendar hit 2020. Not awful, just not as good as they were over the first half. Larkin has been pretty good for a while now. But everyone is having a pretty difficult year as we are a terrible team. I can understand the argument for Bernier, but to me Larkin has probably still been our best player. I would actually say I have seen a player that cares a little too much at times and tries to hard. Maybe people thought he was going to be an 80 point guy, I think he might be as we get more talent in a few years. But a guy that shows up and plays his butt off every night is still what we get out of Larkin and after some rough stretches in the fall the same guy from last year has been here most of this year. I really don't understand the bigger criticisms on him on parts of this board. I think everyone has been disappointing but he has been one of the most minor offenders.

“I think he’s been fantastic. He’s a competitive young man, he works hard every day, he’s playing through injuries. The wins and losses really matter to him. I think he’s set a great example in the locker room, in the gym, on the ice in practice. I’m getting to know him over the course of my first season here. I’ve really been impressed with his attitude, his determination, his professionalism.”
-Steve Yzerman

From The Athletic

PAYWALL

'It’s hardened me': How this brutal season could shape...

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
:facepalm:

Larkin is about to put up 60 points on the worst team of the last 30 years while playing pretty dinged up at times at least in terms of several in the organization eluding to that being a factor.

Honestly Bert and Hronek have been pretty meh to bad since the calendar hit 2020. Not awful, just not as good as they were over the first half. Larkin has been pretty good for a while now. But everyone is having a pretty difficult year as we are a terrible team. I can understand the argument for Bernier, but to me Larkin has probably still been our best player. I would actually say I have seen a player that cares a little too much at times and tries to hard. Maybe people thought he was going to be an 80 point guy, I think he might be as we get more talent in a few years. But a guy that shows up and plays his butt off every night is still what we get out of Larkin and after some rough stretches in the fall the same guy from last year has been here most of this year. I really don't understand the bigger criticisms on him on parts of this board. I think everyone has been disappointing but he has been one of the most minor offenders.

From The Athletic

PAYWALL

'It’s hardened me': How this brutal season could shape...

he started the season with 22 points in his first 40 games even with Mantha going nuts in the first few

it's nice that he's been doing better since then but I think the timing matters for peoples perception here,people are gonna pay less and less attention to the team as the season goes on with how bad the team is

Reactions: lilidk

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Finnish National Team Head coach Jukka Jalonen is the next on, and rips the NHL about the attitude problem against European coaches.

It is interesting the complete lack of European coaches in the NHL. There's tons and tons of retired European NHL players now, yet none of them have made the jump to coaching in the NHL. I know people like to bang on about the "old boys club" in the NHL, but this certainly seems like a clear example of it. It's taken 20 years, but the "can't win a Stanley Cup with European players" stigma has finally worn off, what will it take for the same to be true of European coaches?

Compare this to say the English Premier League, where it is the complete opposite - extremely hard for English managers to be hired, and endless "hur-dur Brexit football" memes from the fans when they do.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was kind of embarrassing to hear, that teams have asked guys like Kimmo Timonen and Olli Jokinen to coaching duties, gyus who don't know anything about coaching. And they refused. But these real coaches with best systems doing our teamwork miracles here and there - no one is interested.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Valeri Bragin promoted to Russian National Team Head Coach from U20 level.

Igor Larionov (U20) takes the Head Coaching role at Russian U20.

One step closer... get some experience from there.

I couldn't personally love anybody else more as our Offensive Assistant coach, than Larionov. I don't know how good coach he is, but he identifies everything how I want hockey to be played offensively (and at same time not forgettin the defence).

I don't know what system he would build, but it's almost quaranteed he has the right thinking for the game and would probably be on the totally same paper with Yzerman.

Kind of interesting, how Larionov has now turned to a coaching career, after being years just a player agent. Like, last season was his first as a coach.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Valeri Bragin promoted to Russian National Team Head Coach from U20 level.

Igor Larionov (U20) takes the Head Coaching role at Russian U20.

One step closer... get some experience from there.

I couldn't personally love anybody else more as our Offensive Assistant coach, than Larionov. I don't know how good coach he is, but he identifies everything how I want hockey to be played offensively (and at same time not forgettin the defence).

I don't know what system he would build, but it's almost quaranteed he has the right thinking for the game and would probably be on the totally same paper with Yzerman.

Kind of interesting, how Larionov has now turned to a coaching career, after being years just a player agent. Like, last season was his first as a coach.

I get that he now has a season of experience, but doesn't this post basically disagree with your post above which is why just hire former players?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I get that he now has a season of experience, but doesn't this post basically disagree with your post above which is why just hire former players?

There are big differencies between former players. Good and bad ones.

Are they just idiots or guys who can think right. Maybe Larionov could work better as vise-president. Have some say for the hockey they play, but his later career has been 15 years at agent side. That kind of guy would help most as assistant GM against other player agents. You switch the side.

But maybe he has real passion for coaching, who knows? Let's see if he will get some results. Career is very short currently.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
that is an interesting development wish him the best. He was very respected by the players while he was playing maybe that will also translate to coaching. He also comes from that Soviet style training and work ethic. Whether he would be a good coach or not I think he would probably be the most likely to design a possession based skate in with control game no matter what our talent level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Same circle going around... absolutely ridiculous. :shakehead

Who is the first one sign an intelligent European ?

Who scares least ? Who scared least to draft those Russians in the 80's. ?

Don't dare to do that, our North American ego will hurt if they do well ! ;)

My god, would that be devastating to do. We have guys who beat Canadian National team with scrub guys and no one is interested.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd be fine with hiring Lambert and Jalonen.

I'd like them even more if they end up coaching Stutzle or Byfield to become the next great center for the Winged Wheel, but one step at a time.

Reactions: hkydave04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad