Speculation: Head coaching candidates

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
After seeing the names mentioned, I'm going with none of the above.

And that's coming from someone that thinks that Blash sucks.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
In the off season try to get Jeff Jackson from Notre Dame. He was part of building Lake Superior into a powerhouse in the early 90's. From there he went to U.S. development team. Then to Guelph improving teams everywhere he went. Then to Notre Dame taking them from a 5-27 team to a team that is always one of the better teams in the NCAA. He was a assistant for the Islanders. This guy knows how to build a hockey team! Has Michigan ties, born in Roseville.
He is the kind of coach we need. He has a great resume and history of taking hockey teams that are struggling and turning them around.

Great tout.

Age could be an issue here as he's 63yrs old. I'd make the phone call though and gauge interest. I feel he's probably happy to finish his coaching career at ND though given he's been there so long at this point. I have to believe other teams have reached out to him in the last 5-6 years. Maybe Detroit could be a special situation for him given he's from the area, went to MSU, coaches at Lake Superior State etc.

He could be a guy brought in to coach 3-4 years and then kept around in an Special Advisor to Steve Yzerman role.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Just like there is no Captain there will be no HC. Yzerman will be the first to pioneer an all assistants team. All the players and coaches get A's stitched on their suits and uniforms.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
This isn't rocket appliances, Blashill is water under the fridge at this point.. So may be Particia. Professional sports are survival of the fitness.

Survival of the fitness eh? That explains why big old Fat Patricia couldn't hack it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think we’re gonna get John Cooper if Tampa fails to do anything in the playoffs again.

God help us.

There's no clear upgrades available unless Yzerman wants to go the controversial way: Babcock and Bill Peters

I'm fine with controversial. Do it, Yzerman! Nothing else is available.

Otherwise just roll with Blashill.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
I’m alright with Cooper as long as it’s not longer than 4-5 years. We’re looking for development and regular season success in the coming years. Cooper brings that. We can get someone who can get it done in the playoffs when the time comes.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
What are Jiri’s credentials?

World class hockey IQ.

More familiarity with our organization, recent history, pipeline, system and prospects than anyone. 12 years with the team and a personal, authoritative relationship with most of our players.

Incredible temperament for a young coach and young team. Quiet, demanding, understanding, scary fiery.

Uniquely positioned to form a hybrid system around the strengths of our best prospects, and be in tune with developments as they unfold.

An unusual appetite for success and competition, and unfinished personal business at ice level of metaphysical proportion.

Seider, Cholowski, Hronek are some of the best defense prospects we've had, and they are all very different from each other in play style and temperament. 1 of, or 3 of these guys would serve as a direct, long term link/barometer between the team and the coach imo.

Our other strength, tenacious, underrated, slightly damaged wingers are all familiar with Fischer, and share his temperment. Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Svechnikov, Smith, would all have the chance to continue to flourish as hyper role players.

Which leads to Fischers role in player evaluation being of great benefit for finding and developing the centers needed to play in a modern explosive, but ultimately defense oriented and gritty system.

To me there is no conceivable candidate that could possibly be as fitting or exciting as Fischer, and I think he has clearly demonstrated though his career that he would make the most of the opportunity.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
World class hockey IQ.

More familiarity with our organization, recent history, pipeline, system and prospects than anyone. 12 years with the team and a personal, authoritative relationship with most of our players.

Incredible temperament for a young coach and young team. Quiet, demanding, understanding, scary fiery.

Uniquely positioned to form a hybrid system around the strengths of our best prospects, and be in tune with developments as they unfold.

An unusual appetite for success and competition, and unfinished personal business at ice level of metaphysical proportion.

Seider, Cholowski, Hronek are some of the best defense prospects we've had, and they are all very different from each other in play style and temperament. 1 of, or 3 of these guys would serve as a direct, long term link/barometer between the team and the coach imo.

Our other strength, tenacious, underrated, slightly damaged wingers are all familiar with Fischer, and share his temperment. Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Svechnikov, Smith, would all have the chance to continue to flourish as hyper role players.

Which leads to Fischers role in player evaluation being of great benefit for finding and developing the centers needed to play in a modern explosive, but ultimately defense oriented and gritty system.

To me there is no conceivable candidate that could possibly be as fitting or exciting as Fischer, and I think he has clearly demonstrated though his career that he would make the most of the opportunity.

Hes never coached. There are definitely more fitting candidates lol. Bylsma is on the wings bench right now and has a stanley cup to his name.

The way this team is going I would get rid of Blashill. Its one thing to tank but whats going on right now is just plain embarrassing. Throw Bylsma or Houda up there as the interim head coach and conduct a thorough search in the offseason. I was against firing Blashill until the offseason but this is too much. How are young guys supposed to develop getting pumped by 5 goals every game. I know he has no talent to work with and the goalies are junk, I dont even really think its his fault the team is this bad but the coach is an easy guy to fire and maybe get a bit of a spark. Especially when Bylsma is available for the interim role and he has experience taking over a team midseason like that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Jiri Fischer x 1000.

I wouldn't even look at other candidates until Fischer officially gave a hard pass.
This is an interesting idea; I'm intrigued! I'm not wild about some of the NHL-head-coach-experienced names that get thrown around a lot when this subject comes up like Cooper and Bylsma.

Hes never coached. There are definitely more fitting candidates lol. Bylsma is on the wings bench right now and has a stanley cup to his name.

The way this team is going I would get rid of Blashill. Its one thing to tank but whats going on right now is just plain embarrassing. Throw Bylsma or Houda up there as the interim head coach and conduct a thorough search in the offseason. I was against firing Blashill until the offseason but this is too much. How are young guys supposed to develop getting pumped by 5 goals every game. I know he has no talent to work with and the goalies are junk, I dont even really think its his fault the team is this bad but the coach is an easy guy to fire and maybe get a bit of a spark. Especially when Bylsma is available for the interim role and he has experience taking over a team midseason like that.
I don't think it would be so crazy to go completely outside the box if they fire Blashill and are looking for a new coach.

Also, if we're going to fire Blashill and promote one of the assistants I say go for Houda. Why should I trust Bylsma to do any good when we have terrible penalty killing and not much better power play, which is what he's supposed to be coaching right now?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is baby Yoda available? I hear good things about him.

240f6110dd5fb60d2158414ec03af55194a8cc14.jpg

Reactions: Electric Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad