Speculation: Head coaching candidates

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Guy Boucher isn't a bad choice to me. He can develop and get guys to play. Has experience with Yzerman in TB. Brought Ottawa to the eastern finals. Idk. IF they fired Blashill today this is who I'd want as an interim with the chance to keep the job permenatly.

I expect Yzerman to roll with Blashill till the season is over but there isn't a reason to bring him back the following season. They'll also be a bigger spectrum of candidates to choose from.

Did you watch his system his last year in Ottawa? I don't want Boucher anywhere near our young players.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Likely just because Yzerman can't hire who he wants anyways and he's waiting till the season is over to see who's available. I'm sure if things get much worst though, he'll fire him on principle but right now it's looking more financial than anything, along with not being able to really get his guy anyways. Whole coaching staff can and prolly will go to be honest.

I think Jeff Blashill will be fine if he gets fired. I think he'll easily get an assistant job somewhere in the NHL if he wants it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me if Yzerman didn't hire a "real" coach until after the draft.

What good coach in their right mind would want to come to this dumpster fire right now? But (hopefully) a 1st or 2nd overall pick would make things more promising to a good coaching candidate.

Reactions: RedMenace

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
So gotta ask. Why hasn't Yzerman fired Blashill yet ? Is there any method to the madness ?

1. He has different expectations than you
2. He evaluates our players and team performance differently than you do
3. He does not feel that the team has tunned Blashill out yet
4. He feels that the team is still competing most nights
5. He does not want to hold Blashill responsible for a rash of important injuries that are hurting an already bad team
6. He thought the team would have consistently better goaltending than it has
7. He does not want to create unnecessary instability
8. He does not think that other available options will do materially better
9. He wants to show other coaches (the ones he wants to actually hire this summer) that he has reasonable expectations and will give his coach the benefit of the doubt
10. He does not care about your viewing enjoyment on a Tuesday night in early December
11. He thinks there is not much to be gained from firing him now as opposed to this summer

I think people could reasonably disagree on a couple of these points. For example the team does compete most nights so long as they are in the game. When things go south, however, they tend to go south quick. I think the staff needs to have a better response, even if this is a young team. While the team may not have tunned him out, they seem to be close to doing so at times. Anyways, you don't need to agree with the reasons but there are certainly some out there.

Blash is a dead man walking. It is only a matter of when, not if, which is why he does not keep me up at night

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
You Red Wing fans are a patient group. Yzerman has been anticlimactic at best. A deer starting at the headlights so far.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
You Red Wing fans are a patient group. Yzerman has been anticlimactic at best. A deer starting at the headlights so far.
So in this analogy St. Louis is the deer, Yzerman is the guy driving the truck and Fabbri is on the side of the road going "hmm this roadkill will make some nice jerky."

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
What does it mean to troll someone on the Internet?
From Wikipedia: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Reactions: kliq

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was named GM April 19th, 2019. It's currently December 13, 2019. So he's had one draft and less than half a season.

I don't know that I'd say we're patient as much as we're not reactionary idiots?*

*(at least not in this one case)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think Lane Lambert would be perfect. So we’ll probably have to wait until the season is over.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
For years (since Bowman retired) I've wanted:

Larry Robinson-HC @68 yrs old he may not have interest, but was an executive for the Blues in 18-19, not sure if he still is, anyone know?

Larionov-F/PP...what's Igor upto these days?

Fetisov-D/PK...doubt he leaves his home country & Minister of Sport gig in Russia.

adding, Francois Allaire-goalie coach.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm surprised to see this much support for Cooper. He's rubbed fans and players the wrong way in Tampa, and runs a system very similar to what Blashill does.

If anything, Blashill didn't get let go when Yzerman became GM specifically because he coaches like Cooper.

I think there's a chance a coaching change happens this summer, but I would be very disappointed if it was Cooper. I want a dozen candidates interviewed, across multiple tiers of experience, and to see that everybody did their homework, as opposed to quickly bringing in a buddy... especially when said buddy is essentially another Blashill, but one who had much better players to run the same system.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I'm surprised to see this much support for Cooper. He's rubbed fans and players the wrong way in Tampa, and runs a system very similar to what Blashill does.

If anything, Blashill didn't get let go when Yzerman became GM specifically because he coaches like Cooper.

I think there's a chance a coaching change happens this summer, but I would be very disappointed if it was Cooper. I want a dozen candidates interviewed, across multiple tiers of experience, and to see that everybody did their homework, as opposed to quickly bringing in a buddy... especially when said buddy is essentially another Blashill, but one who had much better players to run the same system.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines -- aren't Blashill and Cooper extremely, extremely, similar? So we'd essentially be getting rid of Blashill, in exchange for a somewhat more accomplished Blashill. Don't think I'd be very disappointed like you (probably wouldn't even care, to be honest) if they were to make that kind of move, but not sure I'd see the point.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I was kinda thinking along the same lines -- aren't Blashill and Cooper extremely, extremely, similar? So we'd essentially be getting rid of Blashill, in exchange for a somewhat more accomplished Blashill. Don't think I'd be very disappointed like you (probably wouldn't even care, to be honest) if they were to make that kind of move, but not sure I'd see the point.

This post, and post like this are literally going over my head. These guys aren't clones. Ones clearly had and built success and the other hasn't. What am I missing that you see? Like really, true question, not being a jerk or anything. What do you mean similiar? In what aspect? It's not a stretch to say Cooper might be doing better with this group than Blashill is, even if they're still bad.

Like why on earth would you think the results would be the same and not marginally better. That across the board no matter how good the coach the Wings would still be the same result wtih Blashill. I'm not even saying they still wouldn't be bad, but this bad, worst team I've seen in maybe 15-20 years bad... IDK... It's not really going out on a limb to me saying a guy like Cooper might have them 10-15 points better than now with the same roster. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
This post, and post like this are literally going over my head. These guys aren't clones. Ones clearly had and built success and the other hasn't. What am I missing that you see? Like really, true question, not being a jerk or anything. What do you mean similiar? In what aspect? It's not a stretch to say Cooper might be doing better with this group than Blashill is, even if they're still bad.

Like why on earth would you think the results would be the same and not marginally better. That across the board no matter how good the coach the Wings would still be the same result wtih Blashill. I'm not even saying they still wouldn't be bad, but this bad, worst team I've seen in maybe 15-20 years bad... IDK... It's not really going out on a limb to me saying a guy like Cooper might have them 10-15 points better than now with the same roster. Just my opinion.

Their emphasis on the transition game seems super similar. They both love to stretch out the neutral zone. They both seem to emphasize scoring on the rush.

Pretty sure I've read in place they're pretty similar personality wise also, but who knows I guess.

Don't get me wrong here -- I'm not a huge Blashill supporter or anything like that. I'm honestly completely ambivalent towards whether he stays or goes. Maybe the results would be marginally better with Cooper. 10-15 points though? I dunno man, seems to be asking a lot from this talentless roster. Any change in general just seem like rearranging deck chairs Titanic. What's the point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad