Speculation: Head coaching candidates

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He was fired after a 14-1-1 record the team was going.

How did you arrive at this? It's not true.

They were 17-11-3 when he was fired. The last 16 games, which you listed, they were 11-4-1.

They have gone 6-3-1 since the firing.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
We know it won't be Mike Keenan, Mike Babcock, Bill Peters, Montgomery, Sutter, Marc Crawford, and there is many more. We need a coach like Trotz or Cassidy. It will certainly be interesting what other coaches get the boot this year. I wanted Gerard Gallant before he signed with Vegas.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We know it won't be Mike Keenan, Mike Babcock, Bill Peters, Montgomery, Sutter, Marc Crawford, and there is many more. We need a coach like Trotz or Cassidy. It will certainly be interesting what other coaches get the boot this year. I wanted Gerard Gallant before he signed with Vegas.

I'll be honest, I think Trotz is a great coach, however his teams are not fun to watch at all, which I why I would prefer a different coach.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll be honest, I think Trotz is a great coach, however his teams are not fun to watch at all, which I why I would prefer a different coach.

Not bored for losing? I'd like us to start winning at some point. Great defence is the way to go.

All great coaches are signed. Hoping for Gallant is empty hopes. Hoping for Trotz is empty hopes. Hoping for Cassidy is empty hopes. But Montgomery did put his team on a great shape and he is there now free "UFA" to be signed.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I heard from a reliable source that this guy might be interested, and likely much better than Blashill:

8c92baaf2c422ecc7b5c0e4b1bd5e678.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-4_21-52-47.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-4_21-52-47.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Here's another name to throw into the mix: Doug Weight. Local guy, pretty up-front and stand-up sort of bloke, didn't do too badly in his short run with the Islanders.

I'd give him a short run this year and see if there's a match here.

Reactions: Obe2kenobe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dale Hunter - Head Coach
Igor Larionov - Offensive Assistant
Hunter's right hand guy - Defensive Assistant
Nikolai Khabibulin - Goaltending coach

Let's clean up the coaches from U20 Final ?

Reactions: DInTheB

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I'm intrigued by the prospect of Yzerman making a bold move and signing an European coach with no previous NHL experience, preferably Jalonen.

Why recycle all the has beens and failures on the NA market? The market is stale, time for some fresh blood and new outlooks on coaching in the NHL.

Plus it fits the Wings' phase in the rebuild: there's no real pressure or expectations of winning a whole lot the coming years, take some chances!

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don't see the point in making a change right now. Just run the clock out. Now in the offseason, sure.
All depends if Yzerman had him on a short list of hires to guide us through the rest of the rebuild or not. If he was, he'll probably at least ask if there's interest from Laviolette.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seems to be that John Hynes is going to Nashville.

Same circle going around and around.

I wonder what contender hires Blashill after he leaves Detroit.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

Custance brings up Islanders Associate HC Lane Lambert

If Yzerman were to do the same, one name surfacing within hockey circles is New York Islanders associate coach Lane Lambert. He has head coaching experience in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals. He won a Stanley Cup with the Washington Capitals. He’s part of a staff under Barry Trotz that continues to overachieve with the Islanders. He also was Yzerman’s roommate when the two were kids trying to make it in the NHL.

“He’s had incredible success in Washington and New York, and he’s very well thought of,” said one NHL source of Lambert. “I think Lambert is the next guy to get a job.”

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'll put my flame suit on (no pun intended), but what about Bob Hartley?

The guy got much better than expected results and even a playoff run out of those post Iginla and Kiprusoff Flames teams that should've been in the lottery race and had no business being anywhere near the playoffs. He also oversaw the development and/or marked improvement of several guys that are still key/core pieces for the Flames.

Before that, he did the same with a Thrashers team that had little talent outside of Hossa and Kovalchuk and a #1 D pairing consisting of guys that would've been #6/7 on the Red Wings in the same time frame...

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Custance brings up Islanders Associate HC Lane Lambert

If Yzerman were to do the same, one name surfacing within hockey circles is New York Islanders associate coach Lane Lambert. He has head coaching experience in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals. He won a Stanley Cup with the Washington Capitals. He’s part of a staff under Barry Trotz that continues to overachieve with the Islanders. He also was Yzerman’s roommate when the two were kids trying to make it in the NHL.

“He’s had incredible success in Washington and New York, and he’s very well thought of,” said one NHL source of Lambert. “I think Lambert is the next guy to get a job.”

I like the sound of that a lot. Trotz is a great coach with a lot of experience, And Lambert has apparently been a part of a lot of that success. I'd be all for it, rather that than some retread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->