Speculation: Head coaching candidates

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So, if we want to fire Blashill, or get rid of him after the season, there has to be the new name who would be an upgrade.

Options:
- Keep Jeff Blashill

Promote Red Wings assistants
- Dan Bylsma
- Doug Houda

Free Head Coaches on the market
- Mike Babcock (ex-TOR)
- Bill Peters (ex-CGY)
- John Hynes (ex-NJD) ----> signed with Nashville
- Peter DeBoer (ex-SJS) ---> signed with Vegas
- Jim Montgomery (ex-DAL)
- Peter Laviolette (ex-NSH)
- Gerard Gallant (ex-VGK)

Go after best Assistants from other NHL teams
- Lane Lambert (NY Islanders accociate, 9-year partner for Barry Trotz since Nashville days via Capitals (CUP) to NYI)
- Todd Nelson (Dallas assistant)
- Derek Lalonde (TBL assistant, ex-Toledo ECHL Heach coach)
- Steve Spott (SJS fired assistant)
- Dave Barr (SJS fired assistant)
- Johan Hedberg (SJS goalie coach)

Non-NHL options (NCAA, Canadian juniors)
- Mike Vellucci (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, AHL)
- John Wroblewski (USNDP)
- Scott Sandelin (UM Duluth)

European options
- Rickard Grönborg (ex Swedish National Team Head Coach, long-term NA experience)
- Johan Garpenlöv (current Swedish National Team Head coach)
- Jukka Jalonen (current Finnish National Team Head coach)
- Mikko Manner (Finnish National Team assistant, Kärpät Oulu Head coach)
- Antti Pennanen (Finnish National Team assistant, HPK Hämeenlinna Head coach)

U20 options:
- Dale Hunter (CAN U20 Head coach)
- Igor Larionov (RUS U20 Assistant)

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitRed

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Garpenlov of course has some connection to the Red Wings as he was drafted by Detroit and played two seasons here. He would have been a teammate of Yzerman those two seasons as well. He also lived Stateside and played in the NHL for a decade so culture shock wouldn't be an issue. I don't think he'd be looking to leave his current gig though after just getting it.

Will be interesting to see Yzerman's first coaching hire here. Does he recycle an old head coaching veteran or maybe go after a assistant coach up and comer or does he look a bit outside the box and look to Europe.

What about NTDP Coach John Wroblewski?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Adam Oates seem to be out of coaching gigs for last 6 years.

Didn't find anything hockey related job for him.
He does consulting, in fact I think he worked with the Wings a few times in that stretch.
https://www.oatessportsgroup.com/

The big problem with Oates was that he micromanaged everything including the goalies. He got into his own goalies heads, totally messed them up. No reason why he should be coaching goaltending and positioning.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Coaches with NHL head coaching experience:
NHL Records
Sort by last season coached.

Nobody that I really want on the list, I think waiting for the end of the season and poaching an assistant or AHL head coach is probably the way to go.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Coaches with NHL head coaching experience:
NHL Records
Sort by last season coached.

Nobody that I really want on the list, I think waiting for the end of the season and poaching an assistant or AHL head coach is probably the way to go.
Seriously? You expect the fans to watch this shit the rest of the season? The Illitches' won't let the franchise hemorrhage money like that (no fans are going to the games resulting in a tooooooon of lost revenue).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seriously? You expect the fans to watch this **** the rest of the season? The Illitches' won't let the franchise hemorrhage money like that (no fans are going to the games resulting in a tooooooon of lost revenue).
No, I don't expect anyone to watch this garbage.

You got a candidate in mind? Disco Dan isn't going to be an improvement.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
what about Todd Nelson?

Yeah, Dallas assistant.

These guys can be hired under their current contracts if it's a promotion for a Head Coach.

But not at Mid-season. After the season.

I remember he was pure Jim Nill -hire? Both at Griffins and then to Dallas.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Our only in-season options are Bylsma or Houda. Yzerman will want to do a wide search for his next permanent HC and you can't do that when all the top candidates would be under contract to NHL clubs, AHL clubs, Junior clubs or Colleges - all who wouldn't give permission to interview during their respective seasons.

I'd go Houda over Bylsma for the internal option, but I have a feeling Steve would go Bylsma as there would be less inclination to have to keep him if there was a small turn around the ROS.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
In the off season try to get Jeff Jackson from Notre Dame. He was part of building Lake Superior into a powerhouse in the early 90's. From there he went to U.S. development team. Then to Guelph improving teams everywhere he went. Then to Notre Dame taking them from a 5-27 team to a team that is always one of the better teams in the NCAA. He was a assistant for the Islanders. This guy knows how to build a hockey team! Has Michigan ties, born in Roseville.
He is the kind of coach we need. He has a great resume and history of taking hockey teams that are struggling and turning them around.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Said it in the Houda thread, but I like Scott Sandelin from UM Duluth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad