Recalled/Assigned: Hayton assigned to Tucson

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm not giving up on Hayton but I worry that we ruined him in yet another example of Coyotes stellar "development". I still wonder how Crouse would be if he had gone back too.
Crouse should have been sent back. We had to give up the better pick because of it too. I was absolutely furious that season about the decision to keep him up. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Has any one been able to watch Roadrunners' games and see how he's even being deployed? My guess is he was told precisely what he needed to work on, and the Tucson coaching staff is accommodating that. To measure his performance down there by points scored is so cursory, but I suppose that's all you can tell from game logs. I'm sure there is more focus on getting him to make smarter and quicker decisions with the puck. He's a center so he's going to be expected to play a big role in defensive zone breakouts and offensive zone entries. I'd be delighted if he worked on that all season down in Tucson so he can come up next season and contribute in such a fashion. We desperately need offensive depth in those areas. I'm sure there is plenty of other stuff for him to work on that doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

rt

May 13, 2004
Has any one been able to watch Roadrunners' games and see how he's even being deployed? My guess is he was told precisely what he needed to work on, and the Tucson coaching staff is accommodating that. To measure his performance down there by points scored is so cursory, but I suppose that's all you can tell from game logs. I'm sure there is more focus on getting him to make smarter and quicker decisions with the puck. He's a center so he's going to be expected to play a big role in defensive zone breakouts and offensive zone entries. I'd be delighted if he worked on that all season down in Tucson so he can come up next season and contribute in such a fashion. We desperately need offensive depth in those areas. I'm sure there is plenty of other stuff for him to work on that doesn't show up on the scoreboard.
He should have been told to work on putting up points. I'd be delighted if he put up points. In the case of Hayton, I would find judgement based on production to be anything but cursory. Instead I would say that it gets directly to that point in the most primary, elementally important way. It's precisely what I would judge him on. And nothing much else, really.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
He should have been told to work on putting up points. I'd be delighted if he put up points. In the case of Hayton, I would find judgement based on production to be anything but cursory. Instead I would say that it gets directly to that point in the most primary, elementally important way. It's precisely what I would judge him on. And nothing much else, really.
How'd he being deployed? If he's down there because his defense is suspect, they're going to give him defensive zone deployments. Judging based on points might not be the highest priority. I wouldn't discount it entirely, but if it's the primary concern, they certainly could set him up to get the most looks. I don't know if that's the case. If it is and he's not scoring, that's worrying.

rt

May 13, 2004
How'd he being deployed? If he's down there because his defense is suspect, they're going to give him defensive zone deployments. Judging based on points might not be the highest priority. I wouldn't discount it entirely, but if it's the primary concern, they certainly could set him up to get the most looks. I don't know if that's the case. If it is and he's not scoring, that's worrying.
He was not sent down because his defense is suspect.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'd give Hayton a few more games before judgement. It's worth noting that Jenik and Soderstrom were unable to make an impact in those 2 games either. It's a shame it's a shortened season as all three of them really need lots of games.

It's a competitive league. Ontario Reign have some talent but are rock bottom and Byfield, Kaliyev and Turcotte have a combined 2 goals in 25 games.

Reactions: rt

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am not too stressed about Hayton lack of production at this stage. Roadrunners have only played 7 games, so this is early days for the team as a whole. Hayton only featured in 3 of them, against the same team and Tucson has not looked particularly great against that opponent.

Had Tucson won games 7-4, 5-3 for example and Hayton had no points, perhaps I would see this a bit differently.

Anyway, and more generally, I am not hooked on AHL production as a defining way of projecting a prospect. There have been countless examples of prospects with a point per game AHL production who did not make it in the NHL; equally, many prospects with underwhelming AHL stats have done well in the NHL.

I think Hayton's production will pick up shortly. I look forward to seeing if our trio of best prospects (Soderstrom, Hayton, Jenik) can develop some chemistry together on and off the ice.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
First few games he'll probably be reliant on line mates and overall team play as he adjusts to new coach and new team mates. When he's comfortable in this new setting he should *hopefully* be able to create more offense on his own. Not worried.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fifth OA. You expect him to produce period. I thought he was getting better and better this year but just did not produce. I would not have sent him down in the first place as he was playing better than some vets, yet there are only so many roster spots. Hayton has much work to do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
First few games he'll probably be reliant on line mates and overall team play as he adjusts to new coach and new team mates. When he's comfortable in this new setting he should *hopefully* be able to create more offense on his own. Not worried.
"Not worried" is what you and many other posters are saying. I have been worried for awhile. I thought he was playing better before being sent down, but his play was nowhere near expectations. He is young and needs big TOI to develop which he has not getting with RT, but you have to earn your TOI. Hayton has only played 34 games in the NHL, and that there alone is a reason to be optimistic, I guess.

rt

May 13, 2004
Do people know a player can actually get better without scoring points? It is possible people.
That’s the opposite of the point for this specific player. Nobody has been worried about anything but points with him. It’s like we forgot who we are talking about. This isn’t Dylan Strome.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hayton does need to get faster. I'm sure in 2 years when his quickness improves, his legs will have caught up with his brain and I think he'll be a 50-60pt player by then. The problem is that I don't see a PPG player.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That’s the opposite of the point for this specific player. Nobody has been worried about anything but points with him.

I can guarantee you that the only people who care about Barrett Hayton turning into a points-producing machine right now in Tucson are in Forum 40. It seems pretty obvious that there was something in Hayton's game beyond strictly producing points that Armstrong didn't like and wanted him to work on by getting more icetime in the A than Tocchet was allowing him with the big club.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That’s the opposite of the point for this specific player. Nobody has been worried about anything but points with him. It’s like we forgot who we are talking about. This isn’t Dylan Strome.
I've been concerned about his lack of ice time and that's about all.

Reactions: PuckLife

rt

May 13, 2004
I can guarantee you that the only people who care about Barrett Hayton turning into a points-producing machine right now in Tucson are in Forum 40. It seems pretty obvious that there was something in Hayton's game beyond strictly producing points that Armstrong didn't like and wanted him to work on by getting more icetime in the A than Tocchet was allowing him with the big club.
I disagree completely.

Reactions: SniperHF

rt

May 13, 2004
I've been concerned about his lack of ice time and that's about all.
His offensive zone reaction time is piss poor. Slow reflexes. He's not close to being able to produce offensively in the NHL from what I've seen. If that's continuing in the AHL where the game is slower, we should all be shitting our pants. It will take way more that three games to determine if that's the case. Being pointless in three games is certainly more concerning than having a couple of points, which seems like an obviously self-evident notion but here we are.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
His offensive zone reaction time is piss poor. Slow reflexes. He's not close to being able to produce offensively in the NHL from what I've seen. If that's continuing in the AHL where the game is slower, we should all be shitting our pants. It will take way more that three games to determine if that's the case. Being pointless in three games is certainly more concerning than having a couple of points, which seems like an obviously self-evident notion but here we are.
There’s strategy to holding the puck, drawing the opponent to you. It opens up ice for your line mates. His reaction time is fine. He just needs more confidence.

rt

May 13, 2004
There’s strategy to holding the puck, drawing the opponent to you. It opens up ice for your line mates. His reaction time is fine. He just needs more confidence.
No. That’s not what I’m talking about. He was slow as shit when the puck was near him or in pursuit. I’m not talking decision making. His decision making and positioning were great. His reaction time and reflexes were Bissonnette level. I’m talking eyes hands feet and stick.

He’s a smart, solid, sound player. He was overwhelmed by the speed of the league and looked like a turtle.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad