Recalled/Assigned: Hayton assigned to Tucson

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
BPA was Zadina. Should we have drafted him? I would have made that mistake on a winger. Hindsight is 20/20. Quinn Hughes was my other choice if Tkachuk wasn't available and I remember a lot of people didn't want us to take Brady. Hughes was probably a better pick over #1 Dahlin. :dunno:
Three years prior more GM's had Strome over Marner. A big, high IQ center who notched a ton of points over a winger with small size sounded pretty obvious.
I was wishing HARD that Ottawa would go with Q Hughes as the heir apparent to Karlsson so the Coyotes could draft Tkachuk.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I had Hughes and Zadina tied for 3rd overall. I may have had Kotkaniemi 4th ahead of Tkachuk but I don’t recall. Doubt I had Hayton top 10. I’d never seen Hayton play, though.

I’m really not that mad we picked him. I’m mad he was wasn’t sent back to juniors last year.

Reactions: Heldig

rt

May 13, 2004
The one game he had was probably the most scrambly they've played all year, constantly coughing up 2 on 1s that he hopelessly tried to defend. It wasn't anywhere near all of his fault. The difference between Capo and someone like Goligoski is that one has legs left and conceivably can have an NHL future if only someone just gives him a run of games.

"Here you go kid, twenty games, sink or swim. I'm not going to yank or scratch you if you give an honest effort. We believe in you."

not "lol the puck bounced over your stick on bad ice how unfortunate pack your shit you're done lil scared bitch"

The latter is why this organization can't develop talent and BA called it out directly.
Yes. I’d say this hat we have a very big Rick Tocchet problem. We have to get rid of this guy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The one game he had was probably the most scrambly they've played all year, constantly coughing up 2 on 1s that he hopelessly tried to defend. It wasn't anywhere near all of his fault. The difference between Capo and someone like Goligoski is that one has legs left and conceivably can have an NHL future if only someone just gives him a run of games.

"Here you go kid, twenty games, sink or swim. I'm not going to yank or scratch you if you give an honest effort. We believe in you."

not "lol the puck bounced over your stick on bad ice how unfortunate pack your shit you're done lil scared bitch"

The latter is why this organization can't develop talent and BA called it out directly.
The coaches job is to WIN, not baby sit. If you shit the bed, like Capo, you sit or get sent down. When you get a chance you have to show you belong. Same goes for Hayton and others.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had Hughes and Zadina tied for 3rd overall. I may have had Kotkaniemi 4th ahead of Tkachuk but I don’t recall. Doubt I had Hayton top 10. I’d never seen Hayton play, though.

I’m really not that mad we picked him. I’m mad he was wasn’t sent back to juniors last year.
I had not heard of Hayton until I found out we drafted him. In fact, I bet very few heard of Hayton. I didn't like the pick then, and I like it even less now. All we have left is a hope and a prayer he will be a productive player at the NHL level. I think we can forget about Hayton being a first line player.

Reactions: Yandover

rt

May 13, 2004
I had not heard of Hayton until I found out we drafted him. In fact, I bet very few heard of Hayton. I didn't like the pick then, and I like it even less now. All we have left is a hope and a prayer he will be a productive player at the NHL level. I think we can forget about Hayton being a first line player.
He was projected to go 10-20.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I had him at 11. If a redraft were done today he goes top 10. At one time i think an argument could have been made that he would go top 6. He needs to improve his speed and pace of play. I think i had Tkachuk at 2OV and argued that his style of play would be better suited to the NHL and NCAA and that i wasn’t worried in the slightest about concerns whether or not he could score at the NHL level.

Chayka’s tenure at GM was always going to be defined by development of Hayton and Soderstrom. I actually think Hayton is progressing as a player but have never believed that he was going to be a 1C. He has 2C potential and will likely be a fine one at that. He does need to develop his game though and thats why he's in the A. I have zero issue with it and i also think the level of panic after 3 games in the A is almost comical in and of itself.

rt

May 13, 2004
I had him at 11. If a redraft were done today he goes top 10. At one time i think an argument could have been made that he would go top 6. He needs to improve his speed and pace of play. I think i had Tkachuk at 2OV and argued that his style of play would be better suited to the NHL and NCAA and that i wasn’t worried in the slightest about concerns whether or not he could score at the NHL level.

Chayka’s tenure at GM was always going to be defined by development of Hayton and Soderstrom. I actually think Hayton is progressing as a player but have never believed that he was going to be a 1C. He has 2C potential and will likely be a fine one at that. He does need to develop his game though and thats why he's in the A. I have zero issue with it and i also think the level of panic after 3 games in the A is almost comical in and of itself.
I am not panicking about his lack of production in three AHL games. My only assertion about that lack of production is that it points to his demotion as the correct decision. He’s finally where he belongs. It’s a shame it’s a year and a half too late.

As for upside, I’ve always had my fingers crossed he might turn out to be something like Bo Horvat. I’ve also always been afraid he’ll turn out more like Brendan Gaunce. One thing I’ve learned in following the draft for the last couple of decades is that “safe” picks are not actually safe.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The problem with Hayton, and it's not his fault, and that was where he was drafted. There is no way he was a top 5 pick, no way. Look at his junior stats. They don't jump out at you. A 5 OA should be a first line player, not hoping to be a 2C. I don't see how he would be in the top ten of a redraft. Doesn't really matter, we have him and now we can only hope he can develop into a useful productive NHL player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am not panicking about his lack of production in three AHL games. My only assertion about that lack of production is that it points to his demotion as the correct decision. He’s finally where he belongs. It’s a shame it’s a year and a half too late.

As for upside, I’ve always had my fingers crossed he might turn out to be something like Bo Horvat. I’ve also always been afraid he’ll turn out more like Brendan Gaunce. One thing I’ve learned in following the draft for the last couple of decades is that “safe” picks are not actually safe.
The draft is a crap shoot. Last year Hayton had 5 pts. in 5 AHL games. His production was fine last year in the AHL so I don't get your point that he deserves to be in the AHL. I think our biggest problem is that RT does not know how to utilize players to put them in a position to succeed, or play to their talent level and what TOI to give players.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The draft is a crap shoot. Last year Hayton had 5 pts. in 5 AHL games. His production was fine last year in the AHL so I don't get your point that he deserves to be in the AHL. I think our biggest problem is that RT does not know how to utilize players to put them in a position to succeed, or play to their talent level and what TOI to give players.

Yep and last year he had 21 sog in 5 games, which is where he needs to be. Needs to be around 3-4 SOG every game. When he can get to that shot level, his production will certainly increase

Reactions: MIGs Dog

rt

May 13, 2004
If he can’t be consistent in the AHL he’s not going to be able to be consistent in the NHL. While that’s always true, not all players have to prove it in practice. But it seems Hayton does.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yep and last year he had 21 sog in 5 games, which is where he needs to be. Needs to be around 3-4 SOG every game. When he can get to that shot level, his production will certainly increase
Your dreaming if you think Hayton will get 4 or 5 shoots a game. That's McDavid and AM territory, both getting big TOI. DVO is at 1.86 SPG. If Hayton can even get remotely close to that as a 2C, let alone a 3C, would be a huge success.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree, and this is the problem with RT, putting players in a position to succeed. I mean all players not just Hayton.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I had him around 10-15, but he also made my list of players whose play would wind up exceeding their draft position, along with Dellandrea as forwards (can't remember who else I included in that list).

What stood out to me was his ability to posituon himself and find the puck by being the player who went to where the puck was headed and not where it was at. I think that exists for him, but he just needs repetition before it all plays out properly. Repetition is not something he was getting at the NHL level.

Reactions: zerekstar

rt

May 13, 2004
Sounds like you want to evaluate rather than develop.
Well, right now it appears he needs both at the AHL level rather than the NHL level. I'd like him to prove otherwise. Early results on the AHL evaluation are that he needs AHL development. Which matches what I saw in the NHL.

My position simply stated: Barrett Hayton is in the right place.

My position expanded: Barret Hayton is FINALLY in the right place.

Does anyone actually disagree?

Reactions: TheLegend

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't think he 'needs' AHL development based on what I saw. I think he needs to work with the skating coach on his directional changes, and he needs linemates that aren't crap in a system where he can actually get ozone time. That's about it. It's not like his absence has created a fountain of points from the bottom six. Far from it.

He should be Dvorak's 2LW right now.

Alas, Rick Tocchet is a thing, so he's better off in the AHL.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He should be centering the 2nd line behind Dvo playing a ton of minutes. We aren't winning shit anyway. Let the kid play and learn. It's not like there was a drop off when he was playing and we certainly could use another actual center. If we had 3 really good centers and he only deserved to be on the 4th line, I'd be fine with the AHL. That is definitely not the case and he was playing well enough that he earned the opportunity before Tocc decided to Tocc.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
He should be centering the 2nd line behind Dvo playing a ton of minutes. We aren't winning shit anyway. Let the kid play and learn. It's not like there was a drop off when he was playing and we certainly could use another actual center. If we had 3 really good centers and he only deserved to be on the 4th line, I'd be fine with the AHL. That is definitely not the case and he was playing well enough that he earned the opportunity before Tocc decided to Tocc.
I agree 100%

Reactions: RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad