Recalled/Assigned: Hayton assigned to Tucson

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m sorry but to me it’s all about the talent. If the talent isn’t there the coach makes little difference at the NHL level. Once we have serious talent we will need a serious coach.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Should have given him a solid 10 games at center in the top six with two of Keller, Garland or Schmaltz on his wings. See if the kid can produce. Funny that I thought he played his best hockey in his last couple games. Hopefully Armstrong has an actual plan to develop him because the organization hasn't done shit to develop centers. Remember Dvo looking good then Tippett kept trying to send him down only to be foiled by injuries? Strome on the 4th line? Domi looking like garbage at center here then exploding at center right after he leaves. The list goes on and on.

Reactions: PuckLife and Grimes

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Question, as a Greyhound fan Hayton was one of the biggest fan favourites we have had in sometime. Haven't followed much of his progress last 2 years but was semi concerned when he wasn't sent back to junior when he had the eligibility. Of course felt bias as wanting him to return to the Soo. Does Phoenix fans think his development has been mismanaged by the management of the Coyotes at all?

Reactions: PuckLife

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Question, as a Greyhound fan Hayton was one of the biggest fan favourites we have had in sometime. Haven't followed much of his progress last 2 years but was semi concerned when he wasn't sent back to junior when he had the eligibility. Of course felt bias as wanting him to return to the Soo. Does Phoenix fans think his development has been mismanaged by the management of the Coyotes at all?
Not really. He would have played more games in NHL last year had he not got injured at Worlf Juniors.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
My issue is they gave him two linemates with minimal battle and who also share his overall 'slowness'. Kessel and Brassard are great in transition with the puck but are nearly useless anywhere else. Kessel in particular is bad about puck pursuit and stop/starts. He's also soft on the puck. So that line had no 'sustain' to it at all, between a rookie trying to find his groove and two vets who have the most limited legs on the team.

He should have been the 2LW for Dvorak the entire year. Move him to center next year. There is no way this player is worse than Hunt or Caggiula, even right now. He just has had garbage ES linemates. Hayton has dialed up half a dozen quality scoring chances this year that guys should 100% have converted on, but didn't.

I'm happy he is in Tucson now if only because he's away from Tocchet and will be given oodles of icetime under Potvin. Tucson is very good and will get even better with this.
I agree 100 %

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Should have given him a solid 10 games at center in the top six with two of Keller, Garland or Schmaltz on his wings. See if the kid can produce. Funny that I thought he played his best hockey in his last couple games. Hopefully Armstrong has an actual plan to develop him because the organization hasn't done shit to develop centers. Remember Dvo looking good then Tippett kept trying to send him down only to be foiled by injuries? Strome on the 4th line? Domi looking like garbage at center here then exploding at center right after he leaves. The list goes on and on.
Yep...

Reactions: PuckLife

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
If he was better than those guys it was only by a smidge. I know you're a huge Hayton fan. So I think this should be good news for you. I think it's good news for him.
You’re right, I’m good with the decision. I’ve watched lots of Greyhounds make the leap to the NHL and feel like he might he the best one in a long time. I think good organizations recognize that playing borderline NHLers ahead of top prospects is damaging to the franchise long term. I think Tocchet has a bias toward Stepan prototypes, and he’s in survival mode, which has really limited Hayton’s true opportunities. I disagree with your read on his caliber of play, but it’s ok to agree to disagree.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The only real harm here is that the team is better with him in the line up. I don’t see this decision as either beneficial, or detrimental to Hayton. As others have said, better in the A than moldering here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only real harm here is that the team is better with him in the line up. I don’t see this decision as either beneficial, or detrimental to Hayton. As others have said, better in the A than moldering here.
You know my thoughts on Hayton, but this year is a great year for the Yotes to develop him in the NHL. We are not a SC contender, so play Hayton. He is better than a hand full of vets we have who are on the downside of their career, and Hayton has no where to go but up. Having said that, Hayton has no one to blame but himself.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
The thing we forget about developing Hayton is the fact that the coach is playing for a contract/job. I'm sure player development isn't anywhere on his priority list.
Sad but true. That's the key reason I think it's best to get Hayton playing time elsewhere.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You know my thoughts on Hayton, but this year is a great year for the Yotes to develop him in the NHL. We are not a SC contender, so play Hayton. He is better than a hand full of vets we have who are on the downside of their career, and Hayton has no where to go but up. Having said that, Hayton has no one to blame but himself.
I don't see where there is any blame. If we're developing him in the big show, there is going to be some hiccups, missteps and mistakes. He showed yet again, promise. Like I said, I'm not too concerned about this, but I don't think it's the best avenue for his development - hoping I'm wrong.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I hope he can come in and become a solid 3C next season that is producing closer to a 2C. Where Dvo would have ideally been in our line up his first two seasons.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I hope Janik is on the same line. Give the 2 quality ice time together. See if they can be productive together.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Tyson was talking about what a great thing it is to send Hayton down, but I don't remember him saying anything about it last year when Barrett was riding the pines in Phoenix.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Tyson was talking about what a great thing it is to send Hayton down, but I don't remember him saying anything about it last year when Barrett was riding the pines in Phoenix.
If you asked Nash for his input on this all he'd point to Hayton's face-off numbers because everything good that happens in hockey arises from a won face-off.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't see where there is any blame. If we're developing him in the big show, there is going to be some hiccups, missteps and mistakes. He showed yet again, promise. Like I said, I'm not too concerned about this, but I don't think it's the best avenue for his development - hoping I'm wrong.
It is what it is. It's up to Hayton to shit or get off the pot.

Reactions: 87turbobuick

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
You’re right, I’m good with the decision. I’ve watched lots of Greyhounds make the leap to the NHL and feel like he might he the best one in a long time. I think good organizations recognize that playing borderline NHLers ahead of top prospects is damaging to the franchise long term. I think Tocchet has a bias toward Stepan prototypes, and he’s in survival mode, which has really limited Hayton’s true opportunities. I disagree with your read on his caliber of play, but it’s ok to agree to disagree.

One concern I have about Hayton in the NHL so far is that he watches so much of the action. He's clearly learning on the job, but he's been played as both a center and a winger which isnt good. It means he's learning two different positions at the same time when he needs to focus on positioning himself in the middle of the action as a center and learning only that role. The AHL should help that at least.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
...but he's been played as both a center and a winger which isnt good. It means he's learning two different positions at the same time...

I think he's been playing hockey long enough now that he knows the difference between center and wing. What he's got to learn are the nuances of the professional game. I don't think the AHL is the place for it, but the competition is lesser there and he can pad stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->