Recalled/Assigned: Hayton assigned to Tucson

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Two games without him in the lineup, 2 losses in a row. Coincidence?! Probably.

Well, being the the AHL is better than sitting on the freaking bench (as long as they actually play). Personally, I'd prefer to see him keep getting lots of NHL reps but I just want him to do whatever gets him to be the best he can be.

Reactions: PuckLife

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Should've got a shot with Dvorak but this is better than being scratched or on the 4th line.

Just hope this doesn't kill his confidence. Can remember many top players who developed by being regular scratches, then played on the top line, then the 3rd, then the 4th then became a scratch again, then got sent down.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Dont think he's a complementary player with Jenik though. Maybe on the power play.

Quite possible now that Jenik moves ahead of him and is the next call-up for a top 6 role.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
This seemed decided a week ago so no surprise. I guess Hayton would probably have been sent down had the Roadrunners played their weekend games.

I have been pleased with Hayton's performance so far this year; however I much prefer that they have made a clear cut decision on him rather than having him shuttling between the NHL roster and the taxi squad for weeks.

Let's see what he does in a competitive Tucson team. It might not be so easy for him.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Like these quotes:

I want Tucson to go win it all. It will be fun to cheer them on when the Yotes are out of the playoff hunt in another month because we reverted to RT turtling as the game plan.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I was one who thought Hayton was performing well in the NHL, but I am fine with this move. He will benefit from more ice time and playing in every game situation.

My only issue with this is that his replacement, whether that’s Hunt, Hayden, Fasching, etc. are not better than he we was.... but in regards to Hayton’s development I think this will be good for him.

Reactions: PuckLife

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Played his best and was rounding into form, immediately scratched. Just Coyotes things.
That's not really how I saw it. He was impressive between the goal-against and the goal-for. Outside of that window, I saw a smart kid, who's good enough not to hurt the team. I didn't see much in the way of contributions, however. As an example, I prefer Crouse, Fischer, Hayden, and Larsson. Hayton looked slow, passive, and hesitant. But he also looked very smart, sound positionally, and possessing really good hockey sense. The result, in my opinion, was a big fat zero. A bland nothing. Net neutral.

I don't think that's going to help him develop. I think it was very useful in proving himself. He doesn't need to go down and try to figure out how to be a complete player, or not be a liability. So often these young prospects have so much to work on in the minors about becoming solid pros. He's got all that already. It's very encouraging. We don't have to worry about so much of the stuff you have to worry about with a lot of these young guys. All he needs to do is go down and light it up. Get some momentum going. Get his confidence up.

It's not unlike the WJC. He went to that tournament and looked great. He got his fire going. Then he got hurt. Which killed all that momentum and confidence. It was such terrible timing. The AHL I think provides a WJC-like opportunity for him to have a WJC-like impact in Tucson, and gain WJC-like momentum and confidence that he can immediately apply up here. In a perfect world, he pots five goals and five apples in his first eight games and comes right back up to Glendale.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was one who thought Hayton was performing well in the NHL, but I am fine with this move. He will benefit from more ice time and playing in every game situation.

My only issue with this is that his replacement, whether that’s Hunt, Hayden, Fasching, etc. are not better than he we was.... but in regards to Hayton’s development I think this will be good for him.
I disagree. I think Hunt and Hayden spark energy and momentum in ways Hayton never has (apart from the redemption goal). Hunt is a little mistake prone, and Hayden has zero upside. But I like both better in severely limited roles, than I like Hayton in a severely limited role.

Reactions: Grimes

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If the alternative is yanking him in and out of the line up, then this is fine. Would have been nice to see him centering Schmaltz and Garland giving Dvo and Pitlick Keller. But we'd rather bounce him around for whatever reason. Hope he goes down and tears it up, and he starts next year with a clean slate under a coach with a clue.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think Hayton knows that this happens, and he is the type to make the most of opportunities.

In addition, he is close to being in the NHL full time. I don't think it is a question of the physical or preparation side for him. He just needs to learn how to process things at a slightly faster speed. The NHL is just slightly rushed in his ability to process things. The AHL will help the game slow down for him, especially because he will see 17-20 minutes per night.

Reactions: Mosby

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Played his best and was rounding into form, immediately scratched. Just Coyotes things.

I would have liked to see him get a couple more games after those two games because he was looking more confident. But I wished they had sent him down when the AHL season began two weeks ago. After the scratch it was absolutely time to send him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->