Recalled/Assigned: Hayton assigned to Tucson

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Like these quotes:

I want Tucson to go win it all. It will be fun to cheer them on when the Yotes are out of the playoff hunt in another month because we reverted to RT turtling as the game plan.

All this should have happened last year. RT just did not want to play him and elected to go with future HOF Stepan. Who can blame RT.:sarcasm: I thought he was playing much better than last year, but that isn't saying much. This team, this year was really a match made in heaven for Hayton. I guess in BA's mind he didn't do enough to stay on the roster. Hayton has no one to blame but himself this year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't think Hayton's going to learn a single blessed thing in the AHL. But I'm fine with him going because I'm tired of Tocchet dangling the carrot only to snatch it away, like a cartoon rabbit.

LMAO at Armstrong, though, saying that Hayton controls when he comes back.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would have liked to see him get a couple more games after those two games because he was looking more confident. But I wished they had sent him down when the AHL season began two weeks ago. After the scratch it was absolutely time to send him down.

My issue is they gave him two linemates with minimal battle and who also share his overall 'slowness'. Kessel and Brassard are great in transition with the puck but are nearly useless anywhere else. Kessel in particular is bad about puck pursuit and stop/starts. He's also soft on the puck. So that line had no 'sustain' to it at all, between a rookie trying to find his groove and two vets who have the most limited legs on the team.

He should have been the 2LW for Dvorak the entire year. Move him to center next year. There is no way this player is worse than Hunt or Caggiula, even right now. He just has had garbage ES linemates. Hayton has dialed up half a dozen quality scoring chances this year that guys should 100% have converted on, but didn't.

I'm happy he is in Tucson now if only because he's away from Tocchet and will be given oodles of icetime under Potvin. Tucson is very good and will get even better with this.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hayton didn’t do anything to deserve top line minutes. There aren’t enough good linemates to go around on this team. He didn’t earn better ones.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayton didn’t do anything to deserve top line minutes. There aren’t enough good linemates to go around on this team. He didn’t earn better ones.
The coach is suppose to put a player in a position to succeed. RT has not done that in two years, and not only with Hayton. I'm not a big fan of Hayton, and while he has played better this year he sure didn't play to the level we all expected from him. I know he is still young, but I'm still disappointed in him..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Garland had a right to bitch about his usage. Hayton doesn’t. Garland was making shit happen and still not getting chances. He basically had to lead the team in scoring from the 4th line before he got a real shot. This situation is not like that one.

This is going to be good. I think he’s going to put up a lot of points in Tucson and impress everyone there. Then when he comes back, maybe he’ll pull out of his shell a little and actually do some stuff on the ice other than making sure he’s in the right spot and not f***ing anything up.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hopefully under a new coach, or we'll be right back to getting inside his head and getting him to play timid.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The coach is suppose to put a player in a position to succeed. RT has not done that in two years, and not only with Hayton. I'm not a big fan of Hayton, and while he has played better this year he sure didn't play to the level we all expected from him. I know he is still young, but I'm still disappointed in him..

Grand total of 34 games averaging 11 minutes of bottom 6 time. I can't be disappointed yet...not when he's not old enough to order a beer.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Its good. He got 15 games. Did some good things. Now that A is going full bore let him work his way back.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Grand total of 34 games averaging 11 minutes of bottom 6 time. I can't be disappointed yet...not when he's not old enough to order a beer.

His 5v5 p/60 is higher than either of his linemates and he was shooting 25%. Hayton is fine. He just needs to get away from Tocchet and linemates he doesn't fit with at all.

This 'problem' should fix itself when Tocchet's contract expires.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He only had four games with more than 12 minutes of ice time -- which tells you a lot about how much time he got in the other 10...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
His 5v5 p/60 is higher than either of his linemates and he was shooting 25%. Hayton is fine. He just needs to get away from Tocchet and linemates he doesn't fit with at all.

This 'problem' should fix itself when Tocchet's contract expires.
Many problems will be fixed when RT's contract expires.

Reactions: 0point1

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I understand the move but I am a tad anxious at the very possible situation of him struggling in the AHL whilst having outplayed Caggiula, Hunt, Hayden, possibly Brassard and Larsson in the NHL.

Queueing Michael Scott's grinding teeth.
As long as he doesn't throw a fit like Hodgman, he'll be fine. That guy ruined his best chance at a NHL career at age 25. Dumb.

But yes, it's also dumb, that we're playing this game again, because we've all seen it play out poorly again and again. :dunno:

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He showed flashes but he’s not ready yet. He needs to adjust to pro speed most importantly. Skating is fine but just adjusting to timing will be big for him in the AHL. He made a couple of ugly mistakes in his last few games because of this issue.

As well, he needs to play center and with good players and there is not a spot in the top six available in Glendale. I don’t think it’s a confidence issue with him. Just speed and not really having a good roster space for him. Go down to Tucson, learn and dominate, and give him a call when our picture is a little clearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canis Latrans

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
How many of you will need to go on suicide watch we he signs a long-term extension?

He is as good as gone, don't you worry.

If GMBA is losing his mind in a personal phone call with Katie Strang about inside moles, I can imagine that anyone literally, remotely linked to the previous regime is about to be eradicated.

And RT is part of that.

The Canadian Media have already started working on the narrative that RT is the hot stuff this summer, the best free agent head coach that has ever been available.

RT cannot wait to leave.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How many of you will need to go on suicide watch we he signs a long-term extension?
Probably more than you think.:)

Man I hope he doesn't re-sign. If I had to place a bet, I'd say he does get a four year extension, here.
If BA does re-sign RT I will find another team to watch. I have watched this team thru thick and thin, but I'm almost at the end of the rope. Before there was always legit reasons for being bad, now there is none.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
As long as he doesn't throw a fit like Hodgman, he'll be fine. That guy ruined his best chance at a NHL career at age 25. Dumb.

But yes, it's also dumb, that we're playing this game again, because we've all seen it play out poorly again and again. :dunno:

I am not too stressed about it, and I honestly think Hayton will be fine. He is a savvy young man and will swim these waters just about fine.

Personally I am putting all my chips on Jenik anyway.

He is the one.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I was one who thought Hayton was performing well in the NHL, but I am fine with this move. He will benefit from more ice time and playing in every game situation.

My only issue with this is that his replacement, whether that’s Hunt, Hayden, Fasching, etc. are not better than he we was.... but in regards to Hayton’s development I think this will be good for him.
So true.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He showed flashes but he’s not ready yet. He needs to adjust to pro speed most importantly. Skating is fine but just adjusting to timing will be big for him in the AHL. He made a couple of ugly mistakes in his last few games because of this issue.

As well, he needs to play center and with good players and there is not a spot in the top six available in Glendale. I don’t think it’s a confidence issue with him. Just speed and not really having a good roster space for him. Go down to Tucson, learn and dominate, and give him call when our picture is a little clearer.
I don't think many thought Hayton would be in the top six this year. Hayton could not have had a better opportunity than the one handed him. These kids learn from their mistakes, everyone makes them and that is how they learn. I just don't think he will be as good as we hoped. He is still young, but letting this opportunity slip by him is disappointing.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I think it's for the best. He'd likely develop in either league, but he still has some issues that can be fixed in the AHL easier than hoping he figures it out in non-ideal minutes in NHL games and NHL practices. The pandemic really messed with his development on top of his age being such that he couldn't go into the AHL right away and had to be stowed in the NHL. So best to go with what will help him develop more quickly and let him get to the form where he can only improve while playing in the NHL.

You can't really blame Tocchet for all of his usage, even if he's on average outplaying his teammates where he is in the line-up, he's still much more prone than others to making the kind of mistakes that result in a high percentage scoring chance for the opposing side. It's one thing to make a turnover trying a play, but it's another to try it coming out from behind the goalie at the NHL level. Tocchet isn't going to risk that, which is fair, and his station is such that he needs to emphasize winning now rather than developing a player for 2 to 3 years down the line. Tocchet's job security is just not there now, so not that he was great at development ever, but he's certainly not going to be emphasizing that nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->