Speculation: Hawks Wishlist

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What would that balanced lineup look like for you?

I know what my forward group would like.

Saad-Toews-Hinostroza
Wahlstrom-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Sikura
Hayden-Edjsell-Duclair

With JvR

JvR-Toews-Saad
Wahlstrom-Anisimov-Kane
Hinostroza-Edjsell-Hayden

Thats a balanced, very deep/good 12. That third line would be a problem for opponents. Would just need to fix the D somehow.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I know what my forward group would like.

Saad-Toews-Hinostroza
Wahlstrom-Anisimov-Kane
Hayden-Edjsell-Duclair

With JvR

JvR-Toews-Saad
Wahlstrom-Anisimov-Kane
Hinostroza-Edjsell-Hayden

Thats a balanced, very deep 12. Would just need to fix the D somehow.

Putting Schmaltz in the bottom 6 is a waste imo.

20-19-12
OW-8-88
48-15-95
40-VE-64

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

20-19-12
OW-8-88
48-15-95
40-VE-64

Totally agree. Was for sake of discussion. Lines you propose make a lot of sense.

But I wouldn’t necessarily give the DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Sikura line bottom 6 minutes. Likely 2nd line minutes. Its just a combination that would be nasty.

You could give the Toews line less minutes. Yeah, it sucks to do that because of how much money would be spent on that line but its about winning games.

It would create some serious matchup problems. If you put your top pair on Kane then Cat/Schmaltz/Sikura are gonna light you up.

If Toews/Saad/JvR are getting easier matchups then their production should be better than last year.

And that 4th line would hold its own against most matchups.

Also, Anisimov’s best years in Chicago were with 88, so if he’s still in the plans then they need to get more out of him for his cap hit.

And Wahlstrom/Kane could be a nice combo.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Totally agree. Was for sake of discussion. Lines you propose make a lot of sense.

But I wouldn’t necessarily give the DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Sikura line bottom 6 minutes. Likely 2nd line minutes. Its just a combination that would be nasty.

You could give the Toews line less minutes. Yeah, it sucks to do that because of how much money would be spent on that line but its about winning games.

It would create some serious matchup problems. If you put your top pair on Kane then Cat/Schmaltz/Sikura are gonna light you up.

If Toews/Saad/JvR are getting easier matchups then their production should be better than last year.

And that 4th line would hold its own against most matchups.

Also, Anisimov’s best years in Chicago were with 88, so if he’s still in the plans then they need to get more out of him for his cap hit.

And Wahlstrom/Kane could be a nice combo.

Here is my logic.

20-19-12: 200 ft line with 3 potential 30g scorers.

OW-8-88: Scoring line. OW has an elite shot that can be fed by 8 and 88, their speed with also create space and time for OW. OW has size to go to the net as well.

48-15-95: 48 and 95 are both fast and shifty which will allow 15 to get to the net and do what he does best. 48 can be a shoot first player on this line with 95 playing more of a playmaker role.

40-VE-64: Meat and potatoes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Here is my logic.

20-19-12: 200 ft line with 3 potential 30g scorers.

OW-8-88: Scoring line. OW has an elite shot that can be fed by 8 and 88, their speed with also create space and time for OW. OW has size to go to the net as well.

48-15-95: 48 and 95 are both fast and shifty which will allow 15 to get to the net and do what he does best. 48 can be a shoot first player on this line with 95 playing more of a playmaker role.

40-VE-64: Meat and potatoes.

That lineup is very likely what we’ll see opening night if they make no significant moves at forward.

A Wahlstrom-Anisimov-Kane line would sort of be similar to Panarin-Anisimov-Kane. Anisimov just seems lost since he was split from Kane.

DeBrincat showed he can drive his own production last year, which is why its enticing to make him our Phil Kessel of 2016.

Doubt it will ever happen with Q though. He’s not putting the Toews line in a 14-15min checking/shutdown role.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
That lineup is very likely what we’ll see opening night if they make no significant moves at forward.

A Wahlstrom-Anisimov-Kane line would sort of be similar to Panarin-Anisimov-Kane. Anisimov just seems lost since he was split from Kane.

DeBrincat showed he can drive his own production last year, which is why its enticing to make him our Phil Kessel of 2016.

Doubt it will ever happen with Q though. He’s not putting the Toews line in a 14-15min checking/shutdown role.

That should happen, unless the Toews line starts scoring in the 60+ point range. Both the Kane and DeBrincat lines are capable of scoring like that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That should happen, unless the Toews line starts scoring in the 60+ point range. Both the Kane and DeBrincat lines are capable of scoring like that.

Disagree. His icetime isn't an issue, his point production is. And putting him in a 14-15min checking role deployment is not going to do anything for that...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Disagree. His icetime isn't an issue, his point production is. And putting him in a 14-15min checking role deployment is not going to do anything for that...

It will if teams have to split their D between a Kane line and DeBrincat/Schmaltz line. And if they pick Toews/Kane lines with their top4 D then DeBrincat/Schmaltz will be feasting.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I’d rather see a Kane line rotate offensive zone starts with a DeBrincat/Schmaltz line.

Toews taking fewer offensive zone starts allows players who can actually create and score to get more of an offensive opportunity.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I’d rather see a Kane line rotate offensive zone starts with a DeBrincat/Schmaltz line.

Toews taking fewer offensive zone starts allows players who can actually create and score to get more of an offensive opportunity.
Fun Fact, Toews finished 4th on the team in goals last year, only 4 ES goals behind Kane.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I get that. I just don't see how giving Toews a purely defensive role makes this team any better is all.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Maybe, but they become a worse team with Toews only playing 14-15mins a night instead of 19-20.

I don’t think Toews should play 14-15 minutes a night, I think DeBrincat should get more ice-time and more offensive zone opportunity.

If that comes at the expense of Toews getting fewer offensive zone starts, I’m okay with that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Wish list...This team...100% playoff team, potential for a ton more

upload_2018-6-18_23-4-33.png

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

20-19-12
OW-8-88
48-15-95
40-VE-64

I think this is a good way to do it. It accomplishes the goal of getting DeBrincat more than 14-15 minutes a game, while not dropping Toews’ 5v5 icetime.

Seems like a good compromise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad