Speculation: Hawks Wishlist

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Draft?
8th- F: Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi/Tkachuk D: Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist
27th F: Bokk/McLeod/Kaut D:Miller/Merkley/Sandin
Re-signing RFA's: Shop both Duclair/Jurco for 3rd-7th round picks, and if no biters, then don't offer a contract.
Add UFAs: JVR/ Wingels/Backup Goalie
Trades: Dump Hossa's contract, Get a top 4 D, Move Anisimov
Bury in Minors Nobody
Promote a prospect Forsling

JVR -Toews-DeBrincat/Sikura
Saad-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden-Ejdsell-Sikura/DeBrincat
Hinostroza-Kampf-Wingels

Keith-Top 4D
Forsling-Murphy
Gustafsson-Seabrook
Rutta

Crawford
Backup Goalie

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
#8 should not be on the table for 1 year of ??.
Erik Karlsson ... and I agree with RayP and NoFunShogun ... though Karlsson would be nice and we would probably make the playoffs I can't see it as a long term solution ... especially for just one year of EK .. seeing as there would be no way under heaven and earth that we could sustain 3 players making north of 10 M!
It's tough though because this 8OA pick will most likely not make an impact on the team for a couple of years .. maybe more at which time our elderly core will be even more elderly. We're caught in the twilight zone of one core moving towards another. To make one more hail Mary run with Keith, Seabs, Toews, Kaner and Crow we would need to bring in 2 D and at least 1 top 6 and 1 or 2 bottom 6 established players ... and that of course is a risk that could leave high and dry for a good while.
I say think towards the future and draft the BPA, bring in at least 1 established and affordable D and see where we go ...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Wishlist is Hawks select Quinn Hughes either via trading up to 5th or QH sliding to 8th.

Saad-Toews-DeBrincat
JvR-Schmaltz-Kane
Hinostroza-Anisimov-Sikura
Kampf-Edjsell-Hayden

Keith-Jokiharju
Hughes-Murphy
Forsling-Seabrook
Oesterle-Rutta

Crawford
Darling

The defense is unproven, but has upside if Forsling takes next step, Murphy + Rutta become more consistent, Keith bounces back and Hughes/Jokiharju stick in NHL.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I don’t think you trade up for anyone in this draft unless you have blackmail on Waddell or Botterill and can get into the top 2 cheap. You’re going to get a heck of a hockey player at 8 regardless this year imo.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don’t think you trade up for anyone in this draft unless you have blackmail on Waddell or Botterill and can get into the top 2 cheap. You’re going to get a heck of a hockey player at 8 regardless this year imo.

Too passive of an approach imo. This pick could be a big piece to next year’s roster. If they covet 3 guys and they can guaranteed get one at say pick 5 instead of gamble on waiting to 8 and keeping the 27 thn they should do it every time imo. I rather trade the 27th to draft Hughes at 5 and add a forward via free agency then wait until 8, hope Wahlstrom or Tkachuk is there and then have to add a top 4 defenseman via trade or UFA, and the asking price is Saad (Faulk) or $4m+ for defenseman with a short track record.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Maybe the consensus is close in which case don’t trade up, but it seems like the Hawks could end up in a scenario where the choice is between Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist and none are projected to help next year like Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Hughes could given forwards transition easier and Hughes played and performed well against NHL players at the WC.

I’d pay the 27th to move up to Arizona spot to avoid that scenario if board falls

Buf - Dahlin
Car -Svechnikov
Mtl -Kotkaniemi
Ott- Zadina
Hawks - Choice of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, or Hughes

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Maybe the consensus is close in which case don’t trade up, but it seems like the Hawks could end up in a scenario where the choice is between Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist and none are projected to help next year like Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Hughes could given forwards transition easier and Hughes played and performed well against NHL players at the WC.

I’d pay the 27th to move up to Arizona spot to avoid that scenario if board falls

Buf - Dahlin
Car -Svechnikov
Mtl -Kotkaniemi
Ott- Zadina

Yeah, I'd do that. But would AZ? Highly doubt it.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

Buf - Dahlin
Car -Svechnikov
Mtl -Kotkaniemi
Ott- Zadina
Then you should trade for the 7th pick rather than the 5th. It will be less costly and still guarantees you one of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Hughes.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
If the Hawks added EK without losing anything from their roster then their absolutely contenders next season. Karlsson had Ottawa within a goal of the SCF and that was a much worse roster than this Hawks team. That said, I think the cost will be prohibitive as a pure rental so unless Stan has some kind of plan to make an extension work I don't think we should get involved.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Buf - Dahlin
Car -Svechnikov
Mtl -Kotkaniemi
Ott- Zadina

Trading up with the mindset of looking for immediate help is not advisable unless the player being sought after will make a significant difference for years to come.... and one may need a crystal ball to forecast that.

I think anyone who thinks Hawks will be serious contenders next year is dreaming. It will take a helluva lot more than a top ten draft pick to turn things around.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Lazerus tweeted earlier the hawks would definitely kick tires on JVR in FA. Dont want to get ahead of the ball since he'll attract a decent akount of attention. But i would definitely be happy with it for the right price. We could use a top 6 guy who is willing to go to the net. However, IF we sign him itll be interesting to see if this takes away a top 6 role from either saad or debrincat.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
No thanks to JVR. He’s not going to be worth the price tag he gets within a couple seasons. We don’t need another bad contract forcing us to move one of the youngsters when their deals come up.

UFAs almost always are poor investments.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Trading up with the mindset of looking for immediate help is not advisable unless the player being sought after will make a significant difference for years to come.... and one may need a crystal ball to forecast that.

I think anyone who thinks Hawks will be serious contenders next year is dreaming. It will take a helluva lot more than a top ten draft pick to turn things around.

It's advisable when I think that Tkachuk, Wahlstrom and Hughes are the best out of that middle bunch of prospects after the big 3. And they just happen to be the ones that can help the most next year as well. Especially Tkachuk and Hughes. Wahlstrom hasn't even played a year of college yet but conceivably he could sign with the Hawks can compete for a top 9 role.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I say trade Saad for Faulk and then sign JVR. A team with JVR + Faulk looks better than a team with Saad and no top pairing RHD.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

Quite right --- we need 2 top 4 D men and top 6 Forward and a goalie --- and then the Hawks could be solid. But no single guy --- or two, probably even 3 guys --- that is, guys that are possible, make the Hawks a contender. They need all 4 and then need to have more effort and a better system. SO... yeah...

I am with you --- I think anyone who thinks Hawks will be serious contenders next year is dreaming. Agreed.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I say trade Saad for Faulk and then sign JVR. A team with JVR + Faulk looks better than a team with Saad and no top pairing RHD.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: A. DeBrincat ($778,333) - P. Kane ($10,500,000) - D. Sikura ($925,000) - J. Hayden ($750,000)
Centre: J. Toews ($10,500,000) - N. Schmaltz ($925,000) - A. Anisimov ($4,550,000) - V. Ejdsell ($833,750)
Left wing: J. van Riemsdyk ($6,000,000) - B. Tkachuk ($925,000) - V. Hinostroza ($1,500,000) - D. Kämpf ($925,000) - T. Wingels ($1,000,000)
DEFENSE (8)
Right: H. Jokiharju ($925,000) - J. Faulk ($4,833,333) - B. Seabrook ($6,875,000) - E. Gustafsson ($1,200,000)
Left: D. Keith ($5,538,462) - G. Forsling ($872,500) - C. Murphy ($3,850,000) - J. Oesterle ($650,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
C. Crawford ($6,000,000) - S. Darling ($2,300,000)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $80,000,000
Bonus Overages: $1,232,500
Cap Hit: $74,388,878
Cap Space: $5,611,122

Chicago Blackhawks - 2018/2019 - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I might consider a guy like Ian Cole on a short term deal to hedge risk that Forsling is not ready for 2nd pair minutes, and if he is then they can boot one of Oesterle or Gustafsson to Rockford, which is also a net positive. Also look to sign someone that can compete with Kampf/Edjsell for a fourth line role. Someone like Beagle perhaps.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: A. DeBrincat ($778,333) - P. Kane ($10,500,000) - D. Sikura ($925,000) - J. Hayden ($750,000)
Centre: J. Toews ($10,500,000) - N. Schmaltz ($925,000) - A. Anisimov ($4,550,000) - V. Ejdsell ($833,750)
Left wing: J. van Riemsdyk ($6,000,000) - B. Tkachuk ($925,000) - V. Hinostroza ($1,500,000) - D. Kämpf ($925,000) - T. Wingels ($1,000,000)
DEFENSE (8)
Right: H. Jokiharju ($925,000) - J. Faulk ($4,833,333) - B. Seabrook ($6,875,000) - E. Gustafsson ($1,200,000)
Left: D. Keith ($5,538,462) - G. Forsling ($872,500) - C. Murphy ($3,850,000) - J. Oesterle ($650,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
C. Crawford ($6,000,000) - S. Darling ($2,300,000)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $80,000,000
Bonus Overages: $1,232,500
Cap Hit: $74,388,878
Cap Space: $5,611,122

Chicago Blackhawks - 2018/2019 - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I might consider a guy like Ian Cole on a short term deal to hedge risk that Forsling is not ready for 2nd pair minutes, and if he is then they can boot one of Oesterle or Gustafsson to Rockford, which is also a net positive. Also look to sign someone that can compete with Kampf/Edjsell for a fourth line role. Someone like Beagle perhaps.
Cole or De Haan would be good. Then someone like Grabner and/or Riley Nash for forward depth.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
No thanks to JVR. He’s not going to be worth the price tag he gets within a couple seasons. We don’t need another bad contract forcing us to move one of the youngsters when their deals come up.

UFAs almost always are poor investments.
JVR is a consistent scorer which is desperately needed. And we won't cost anything other then cap space.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cole or De Haan would be good. Then someone like Grabner and/or Riley Nash for forward depth.

Even if they keep Saad and go sign JVR its absolutely a better roster with him on the team, not sure how that can be debated at this point. And assuming they find a cap floor team to take on the Hossa contract then money will not be an issue going forward assuming JVR signs for 6-7m.

Let's not forget that they'd have ~15m in space before signing JVR, and that doesn't include two players primed to be moved before their deals are up, Anisimov and Murphy, plus Seabrook is a wildcard in two years. Schmaltz, Cat and Sikura money will be there for sure.

For those concerned about signing JVR - Hawks are going to spend the cap space this summer, so best prepare for that scenario. Stan's not going into the season with the same team when his job is on the line.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hawks are going to spend the cap space this summer, so best prepare for that scenario. Stan's not going into the season with the same team when his job is on the line.

Even if they keep Saad and go sign JVR its absolutely a better roster with him on the team, not sure how that can be debated at this point. And assuming they find a cap floor team to take on the Hossa contract then money will not be an issue going forward assuming JVR signs for 6-7m.

Let's not forget that they'd have ~15m in space before signing JVR, and that doesn't include two players primed to be moved before their deals are up, Anisimov and Murphy, plus Seabrook is a wildcard in two years. Schmaltz, Cat and Sikura money will be there for sure.
I agree, but without trading Saad there's no way of getting a top pairing RHD without mortgaging our future.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I agree, but without trading Saad there's no way of getting a top pairing RHD without mortgaging our future.

True. And they have a better chance of drafting Tkachuk or Wahlstrom and them panning out to replace Saad's production in top 6 along with JVR signing. As soon as next season potentially.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad