Speculation: Hawks Wishlist

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Of course Panarin or Kessel is better, but JVR is free.

JVR is a garbageman much of the time but can score in other ways; also has a tricky release. He is, what we wanted Panik to be and exactly what the Hawks need in the top 6. If he's on the block, I say go for him but I really don't know why TO would let him go, tbh.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
JVR is a garbageman much of the time but can score in other ways; also has a tricky release. He is, what we wanted Panik to be and exactly what the Hawks need in the top 6. If he's on the block, I say go for him but I really don't know why TO would let him go, tbh.
Toronto has some hella expensive contracts coming up. Around 10M for Marner and 11M for Matthews. Another 8M for Nylander.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
All three of those guys bring different offense.
Very true, and he would take major pressure off of Toews and Kane in that regard. But Toronto has no more money.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Toronto has some hella expensive contracts coming up. Around 10M for Marner and 11M for Matthews. Another 8M for Nylander.
Yeah but guys like JVR don't come around every day. Intangibles, no question in my mind. I won't compare the two players but Blackhawks miss the timely goals they got from Patrick Sharp over the years. I could see JVR being the same but in an entirely different style. I repeat Hawks need a garbageman and JVR fits that role to a tee.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah but guys like JVR don't come around every day. Intangibles, no question in my mind. I won't compare the two players but Blackhawks miss the timely goals they got from Patrick Sharp over the years. I could see JVR being the same but in an entirely different style. I repeat Hawks need a garbageman and JVR fits that role to a tee.

Went back and watched a video with every goal he scored last year. All around the crease, a lot of redirects, a lot on the PP. I just can't see how people can complain too much about a signing if it's around 6-7 million and they have 15m+ in cap space. He makes the team deeper next year and if they can keep Saad and move Anisimov +27th for Faulk, then the team will be much, much improved.

Then you're looking at a top 6 of:

Saad-Toews-DeBrincat
JvR-Schmaltz-Kane

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think everybody here agrees that JVR would make Blackhawks better team, a lot.

But keep in mind: he is looking for 6-7m for 7 years deal and he is going to get it from somewhere. He is not the slowest guy but he surely is not fast.

Career year, somebody is going to pay for him. I would do 3 year deal but not happening in current NHL.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I think everybody here agrees that JVR would make Blackhawks better team, a lot.

But keep in mind: he is looking for 6-7m for 7 years deal and he is going to get it from somewhere. He is not the slowest guy but he surely is not fast.

Career year, somebody is going to pay for him. I would do 3 year deal but not happening in current NHL.

+infinity

The problem with signing JVR is the term. Years 1-3 should be very good. Years 4-6? Not so much. Really think he'd fit in very well here, but, again, term. How desperate is Bowman?

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
I live in Ontario so I end up watching a few Leafs games every year at least. There’s a reason they are letting JVR go and it’s because he is not worth the money he’ll get. Evader Kane got 7 million and JVR will get that at the very least.

JVR is good around the oppositions net and that’s it. He’s not a great skater, he will not once attempt to play defense, and he’s rather soft for such a big body. I guarantee whoever gives him that fat contract is going to regret it.

It should also be noted that the Leafs had amazing forward depth which allowed JVR room to breathe as Matthews line had to face the top pairing very night and Kadris line was forced to shut down the oppositions top line. JVR played on a line with Bozak which meant considerably easier playtime.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs and BK

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
JVR is good around the oppositions net and that’s it. He’s not a great skater, he will not once attempt to play defense, and he’s rather soft for such a big body. I guarantee whoever gives him that fat contract is going to regret it.

It should also be noted that the Leafs had amazing forward depth which allowed JVR room to breathe as Matthews line had to face the top pairing very night and Kadris line was forced to shut down the oppositions top line. JVR played on a line with Bozak which meant considerably easier playtime.

Pretty sure if Hawks get him, that's where he'll likely be deployed on the Kane line.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I live in Ontario so I end up watching a few Leafs games every year at least. There’s a reason they are letting JVR go and it’s because he is not worth the money he’ll get. Evader Kane got 7 million and JVR will get that at the very least.

Agreed. He can be fairly invisible 5 on 5 and I'd like to think that there was a reason why he was not deployed at any time this season as a top six forward. Despite scoring 3 PPG against the Bruins, he was an absolute ghost in most of the games. It's rare to see a 36 goal scorer only get 12 minutes of ice time in a Game 7 where they were trailing. He had a career year goal scoring-wise and while I think he's still a decent bet to score 25+ goals a year, coming off his 36 goal season he's going to get overpaid this offseason.

From what I can see, Leafs fan's arent exactly clamoring to resign this guy, and I would assume that they know better than anybody what to expect from him for the next 5+ seasons.

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada

Agree. Some stupid team is going to give him a Lucic kind of deal. He would be a good add though, just not at a lot of term.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
JvR is a luxury player. He's a pp weapon. He's also a defensive liability that's going to get paid wayyyyy too much.

I fully expect him to be the worst contract of the summer unless these Jack Johnson rumors are true.

This team has holes. Wing isn't one of them. Hard pass.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Why is a huge deal for JVR more palatable for some than a deal for John Carlson?

JVR fills a hole on this roster, Carlson fills in a giant gaping crater.

The arguments against Carlson are basically all about his age, but he’s like a half year younger than JVR.

Assuming terms will be the same, we’re basically talking about the difference of 1.5-2 million between these two guys. One would be a second line forward, the other would be your new 1D and new power play quarterback.

Both carry huge risk of falling off the cliff in years 5-7 of the deal.

I feel like you’re getting a lot more value for your money by going with the defenseman.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Why is a huge deal for JVR more palatable for some than a deal for John Carlson?

JVR fills a hole on this roster, Carlson fills in a giant gaping crater.

The arguments against Carlson are basically all about his age, but he’s like a half year younger than JVR.

Assuming terms will be the same, we’re basically talking about the difference of 1.5-2 million between these two guys. One would be a second line forward, the other would be your new 1D and new power play quarterback.

Both carry huge risk of falling off the cliff in years 5-7 of the deal.

I feel like you’re getting a lot more value for your money by going with the defenseman.
The guys against ponying up for Carlson are the same guys against paying JvR I'd imagine?

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad