Speculation: Hawks Wishlist

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
Has Jay ever been right? If he is it should be a one year, cheap deal I would hope. I feel like our summer plan is in limbo right now though with Crawford's health in question. Really no point in trying to retool if he can't play. I would rather play the kids, try to get value at the deadline and fully rebuild. Without Crow it would take an "Angels In the Outfield" type of miracle for the Hawks to be close to a playoff team.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Has Jay ever been right? If he is it should be a one year, cheap deal I would hope. I feel like our summer plan is in limbo right now though with Crawford's health in question. Really no point in trying to retool if he can't play. I would rather play the kids, try to get value at the deadline and fully rebuild. Without Crow it would take an "Angels In the Outfield" type of miracle for the Hawks to be close to a playoff team.
Yes, he has been right a few times. He called the original Saad trade IIRC. He has called a couple other thigns as well, since then.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not a huge fan of the notion of signing Ward, but that being said the team staff has had success bringing out the best of underperforming vet goalie backups in the past, so what do I know?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
If we pony up for JVR I'm done with this management group. We could use a solid top 9 center and a top four D.

An elite PP wing is a luxury we don't need to focus on.
just curious but why do you say we need a top 9 center but we dont need a elite pp wing.

Toews Schmaltz Anisimov top 9 centers....Kane Debrincat maybe saad are our scoring wings. JVR scored more goals then anyone on the hawks last year...and we had a terrible power play.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
The PP wasn't awful because of talent. We don't need JVR more than we need other things, most notably D.

If we're dropping 6-7 million on a guy right now, he needs to play Defense.
there isnt a defenseman worth that much...thats why i said JVR and De Haan. also every prospect worth something plays D right now. our D for the next few years will be on ELC. Try to compete now while building for the future.

but yes dont give out long contracts if possible

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Don't need to burn that cap space just because it's there. JVR is not going to be worth the deal he signs.

De Haan or Moore probably will not be either, as most UFAs. This management group doesn’t want to admit the run is over, it’s time to rebuild. But I guess we’ll throw some shit at the wall and rebuild when the train is completely off the tracks.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
De Haan or Moore probably will not be either, as most UFAs. This management group doesn’t want to admit the run is over, it’s time to rebuild. But I guess we’ll throw some **** at the wall and rebuild when the train is completely off the tracks.

I'm pretty sure with the moves made last offseason, and the current draft, they're well-aware that the run is over. And they're trying to rebuild on the fly.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure with the moves made last offseason, and the current draft, they're well-aware that the run is over. And they're trying to rebuild on the fly.

Fearful they’re going to be a middling team and miss out on elite talent the longer they try to patch it together. McD probably pushing them to make moves with TV ratings down. Fastest way to get them back up is to draft superstars again. Rebuilds should only take a 3-5 years with good management and ownership that buys in. The fans will be there again when they’re ready to be good for a decade again.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Fearful they’re going to be a middling team and miss out on elite talent the longer they try to patch it together. McD probably pushing them to make moves with TV ratings down. Fastest way to get them back up is to draft superstars again. Rebuilds should only take a 3-5 years with good management and ownership that buys in. The fans will be there again when they’re ready to be good for a decade again.
so whats your plan...be mediocre? This team isnt going to be a top lottery team. or do you want to sell? Keith Saad Kane??

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
so whats your plan...be mediocre? This team isnt going to be a top lottery team. or do you want to sell? Keith Saad Kane??

If there's a risk of being a als0-ran all they have to do is start overplaying Keith & Seabrook and putting Keith on Q's powerplay.

Problem solved.:sarcasm:

Reactions: BobbyJet

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I agree and I also don't buy the notion that it can't be done.
It can always be done. If anything Vegas proved that a bunch of 2nd & 3rd tier castoffs can do a butt-tonne of damage.

But when you look at what teams like Vegas, TBL, Winnipeg, and of course Washington brought to the table this year vs. what the 'hawks brought to the table, there's a major drop-off that, at least in my cynical opinion, cannot be made up with incoming rookies making noise, some bounceback years to a realistic level with respect to age for the core members, and breakout years by our journeymen...and that's if we got Crawford running hot or another top-10 goalie running hot.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though :)

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It can always be done. If anything Vegas proved that a bunch of 2nd & 3rd tier castoffs can do a butt-tonne of damage.

But when you look at what teams like Vegas, TBL, Winnipeg, and of course Washington brought to the table this year vs. what the 'hawks brought to the table, there's a major drop-off that, at least in my cynical opinion, cannot be made up with incoming rookies making noise, some bounceback years to a realistic level with respect to age for the core members, and breakout years by our journeymen...and that's if we got Crawford running hot or another top-10 goalie running hot.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though :)

One thing for sure. Conservatism on Stans part won't work. He needs to get aggressive and if that involves core or former core players, so be it. It may even involve dangling Kaner... just saying. But first and foremost, Q needs to be promoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad