GDT: Hawks vs Flyers: 1PM CT on NBCSCH, NHLN, SN360 - Saader-man: Far From Home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
if that’s the case, would it make sense to give that pair first line ice time at 5v5?

de Haan-Murphy
Keith-Gus
Maatta-Seabrook (heavy defensive zone start, basically like a fourth line)

this is what I would do if JC and Stan insist on using the inferior option that is Seabrook.

its too bad that the front office and coaches are not seeing that we have multiple better options than Seabrook and they can and will give us a better opportunity to win on a nightly basis, sad really

Seabrook stopped being the caliber of an NHL player two seasons ago, love what he did for the hawks in the past don't get me wrong however he is now doing the exact opposite and handicapping the club in a massive, massive way

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
However, waiting until December means another season out of the playoffs. I'm sure JC, Stan etc. are thinking it needs to happen a helluva lot quicker than that.

Well, yeah, that's why I mentioned in the meantime they need to figure out how to win some games the hard way.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
this is what I would do if JC and Stan insist on using the inferior option that is Seabrook.

its too bad that the front office and coaches are not seeing that we have multiple better options than Seabrook and they can and will give us a better opportunity to win on a nightly basis, sad really

Seabrook stopped being the caliber of an NHL player two seasons ago, love what he did for the hawks in the past don't get me wrong however he is now doing the exact opposite and handicapping the club in a massive, massive way

At this time it's a myth that they have "multiple better options " to put out there against NHLers. Maybe one day, but not today.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
At this time it's a myth that they have "multiple better options " to put out there against NHLers. Maybe one day, but not today.

Boqvist still has work to do defensively but as a 3rd pairing with Maatta it might be better for the team to play him over Seabrook. He will drive more offense individually and with how well he breaks the puck out. He would also help PP2. There will be defensive lapses as he grows but it is an interesting swap to consider.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Boqvist still has work to do defensively but as a 3rd pairing with Maatta it might be better for the team to play him over Seabrook. He will drive more offense individually and with how well he breaks the puck out. He would also help PP2. There will be defensive lapses as he grows but it is an interesting swap to consider.

And if Boqvist gets overwhelmed? Is that a good thing for a young guy who is immature physically and will be a target especially if he does put up some points when he arrives? That's the question those who may be too eager to get this kid in the line-up must ask themselves. Just sayin'. He may handle it fine but then again he may not. Is it worth the gamble for a team (I'm sorry to say) is unlikely to go anywhere this season?

We all saw in the preseason that he wasn't ready. I say wait at least until the new year before considering bringing him up.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I STILL don't understand why the Hawks cannot adjust when they just don't have it on a given night. I have yet to see a purposeful dump in when they can't come thru the neutral zone cleanly. Is it so effin' difficult to read which D is the weaker one and dump it in so it dies in the corner and GO GET THE PUCK!!?!?!?! Is anybody, the coaches or the players, watching what is going on? Video guy up top? Bueller? Bueller?

Amongst some other reasons, this is why the Hawks have fallen off, they just can't adjust, Q and so far JC.

My God!

Reactions: pvr

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Its not a myth IMO,

you tell me which one of the following are not better options than Seabrook?

Boqvist, 4K, Krys, Carlsson, Holm, Beaudin.

every single one of them would be better off than 7, he is a complete liability out there but for some reason people think he is still capable of being the Seabrook that was prior to two years ago.

I would bet that Chris Chelios would be a better option at his advanced age over Seabrook

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
And if Boqvist gets overwhelmed? Is that a good thing for a young guy who is immature physically and will be a target especially if he does put up some points when he arrives? That's the question those who may be too eager to get this kid in the line-up must ask themselves. Just sayin'. He may handle it fine but then again he may not. Is it worth the gamble for a team (I'm sorry to say) is unlikely to go anywhere this season?

We all saw in the preseason that he wasn't ready. I say wait at least until the new year before considering bringing him up.

To be clear, I am someone who wants him up but after he plays some in the AHL. The new year would be proper timing so we agree there. I saw what it did for Schmaltz when they sent him down (I was wrong in my thinking it would not help him).

There are going to be times where he will be physically overwhelmed but I think that will happen with anyone who enters the league that is younger or a just bigger like Dahlin or Matthews. We did see that he has the ability to defend 1v1 and has good gap control (can be aggressive at times)so we won't see him getting burned that way often. His skating is high end which helps as well. We will obviously see mistakes but I do think after a little seasoning in the AHL and pairing him with Maatta that he will be a better option than Seabrook.

Holy shit Matthews has a great release.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Its not a myth IMO,

every single one of them would be better off than 7, he is a complete liability out there but for some reason people think he is still capable of being the Seabrook that was prior to two years ago.

I would bet that Chris Chelios would be a better option at his advanced age over Seabrook
Say what you wish but Maata - Seabs tandem has been fine so far. I know many think that the ideal defence is having 4 or 5 Erik Karlssons on your team.... well that ain't gonna happen.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Say what you wish but Maata - Seabs tandem has been fine so far. I know many think that the ideal defence is having 4 or 5 Erik Karllsons on your team.... well that ain't gonna happen.

They 100% have been fine. I am just of the thought that you could improve the line up by adding Boqvist. I think Maatta-Boqvist could be a really well balanced pairing and it would improve PP2 (remove Keith).

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Boqvist needs to learn D a bit better...

Not just that but Boqvist not ready physically yet either. He'll get chewed up in his own end and moved out the crease. I don't care tho, Hawks D can't be any worse than it is. He seems pretty sure of himself. Good ship Blackhawk already taking on water. I say it's already an "All hands on deck" situation, throw him in, sink or swim.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Point taken but ... seems like #2 having a, "tough game" happening more & more often. Just saying ...

Yes but Keith makes a lot of subtle and good plays that Hawks fans have come to take for granted and if he falters now and then that's what they see first when reviewiing his performance. This team would be in a lot more hurt without him. Take him off the PP and keeps his minutes to under 23 and I reckon he'll be fine.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not just that but Boqvist not ready physically yet either. He'll get chewed up in his own end and moved out the crease. I don't care tho, Hawks D can't be any worse than it is. He seems pretty sure of himself. Good ship Blackhawk already taking on water. I say it's already an "All hands on deck" situation, throw him in, sink or swim.

He is not as weak as you are implying. He was not physically scared in the preseason either. Boqvist is 6' 181 lbs. He is not tiny and has grown since being drafted.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I STILL don't understand why the Hawks cannot adjust when they just don't have it on a given night. I have yet to see a purposeful dump in when they can't come thru the neutral zone cleanly. Is it so effin' difficult to read which D is the weaker one and dump it in so it dies in the corner and GO GET THE PUCK!!?!?!?! Is anybody, the coaches or the players, watching what is going on? Video guy up top? Bueller? Bueller?

Amongst some other reasons, this is why the Hawks have fallen off, they just can't adjust, Q and so far JC.

My God!

One reason is that they don't have that Hossa type player that was a great equalizer as he could really kill momentum with his ability to backcheck and forecheck.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
"... I think Maatta-Boqvist could be a really well balanced pairing and it would improve PP2 (remove Keith).

10 mildo/yr for that 3rd pairing but sure why not?
Can't agree re PP2, NEITHER 2 or 7 should ever see power play ice again.

--------
Edit - Oops ... Misread by me, thought Maata-Seabrook pair.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Its not a myth IMO,

Come on, we all see Seabrook being overpaid for what he does but he is still a serviceable bottom pairing d in this league. Those young kids not only have no experience but most of them would be physically outmatched every single night. I dont care what they bring offensively, that would still ruin most of our games. Even Gilbert, our most NHL ready prospect gets overwhelmed a few times in the games, imagine the other guys.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

And I'll bet MCD and company have the same mindset as the bolded above; and if the goals against keep coming we could see Boqvist in Chicago before November. I hope not but ......

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
He is not as weak as you are implying. He was not physically scared in the preseason either. Boqvist is 6' 181 lbs. He is not tiny and has grown since being drafted.

He couldnt handle anyone infront of the net though. For the record i think his gap control would be great, not sure about board battles (although IQ plays a big role there), but he would look a lot like Forsling in front of the net last year, which would be a massive issue.

Nothing wrong with admitting he needs physical maturing, hes so young hes right along his development curve that way.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He couldnt handle anyone infront of the net though. For the record i think his gap control would be great, not sure about board battles (although IQ plays a big role there), but he would look a lot like Forsling in front of the net last year, which would be a massive issue.

Nothing wrong with admitting he needs physical maturing, hes so young hes right along his development curve that way.

Where have I said he doesn't need to get any stronger? I have been on the record here for a long time saying the opposite. (sorry if you were not meaning to imply this).

His ability to get the puck out and break the puck out would really help this team. Again he was not as bad as you are imlpying in front of the net. You can combat the strength needed by having a properly positioned stick along with good positioning.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

My God!

Geeeeez, yes. I thought I was going to like JC as HC but I'm already having doubts. The PP and PK don't look any better than they were under Q and Keith is still on the PP. They still lose most board battles and just don't seem to have the intensity. They need a spark plug from somewhere. Dach?

Last edited:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Where have I said he doesn't need to get any stronger? I have been on the record here for a long time saying the opposite. (sorry if you were not meaning to imply this).

His ability to get the puck out and break the puck out would really help this team. Again he was not as bad as you are imlpying in front of the net. You can combat the strength needed by having a properly positioned stick along with good positioning.

Yes I understand what positives he would bring. We all do.

He looked weak in front of the net, there were multiple times per game he would get outmuscled, a few times even losing position due to no apparent physical battles.

Frankly even Beaudin looked better physically in front of the net. If he came up right now, no way Boqvist is better than Forsling was last year in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad