GDT: Hawks vs Flyers: 1PM CT on NBCSCH, NHLN, SN360 - Saader-man: Far From Home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
I thought the 4th line of Carpenter/Smith/Cags looked good as well. I saw Smith with some decent hits and they could clear the zones

Saw Carpenter take a hard shot on one PK - stick tap for sure - but other than that, didn'r see much. Will say I did not and do not, understand the signing. Could live just fine w/ any of 2-3 IceHogs in his place.

As for Smith? Smith is Anisimov w/ less offense (but a mildo less cap hit which is the only reason here's wearing a Hawk sweater. Bowman jr overpaid the latter, so we're stuck w/ the former - and his own NTC too.)

Just my two cents ... Worth as much (maybe.)

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Given the history of that "Top 4 D" we better expect some to be missing at any point. Maata, DeHaan, & Murphy not known for being iron men.
The rest, well, time will tell.

Murph's won this Hjalmarsson guy over. Maata's on his way to too, His game didn't catch my eye before the trade. DaHaan? Never stood out either (but I'm no expert by any means.)

That said, I'd say the three are 4-5s best case, on any cup contending squad. Certainly ready/willing to see different tho.
As you say, dey, Time will tell ...

Last edited:
Reactions: deytookerjaabs

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
one of the goals was a ****ty bounce off the crossbar that hit 4K and the rebounded into the net so that was fluke
another one of the goals was a goal that Crawford absolutely should have had

the hawks played good early but then the flyers took over in the second half of the third

all is not lost but here is what I learned or had re-enfoced.....

Lehner >>>>Crow; Crows body language much of the time states to me that he just does not care any longer and sees the writing on the wall that his career is coming to a screaming halt.

Gilbert is not ready yet but could be a serviceable 6-7 guy in a year or two

4K really should be the 7th d in front of Seabrook who's roster spot truly belongs to Boqvist

Nylander and Kubalik both looked good but need more ice time.

both Smith and Carpenter should never be in the lineup at the same time IMO, they both don't have enough offensive skill IMO, I know, I know they are role players on the 4th line....I would still like to see only one in the lineup at a time cause if they were we would have more punch on the fourth line and they could even chip in on offense

Strome was not very good today at all

Cat looked good

Kaner was excellent

JT was good
Saad was excellent in the first half of the game

Kampf surprisingly looked good.

Shaw was effective and I would like to see if we could somehow utilize Cagguila to replicate some of what Shaw brings, it really should be Perlini that should do that as he has more of the physical tools to do so but alas he is missing some crucial components located between his temples

Lastly this club will be much, much better when Dach, Murphy and Dehaan are in the lineup hopefully next game (and if JC has the balls Boqvist in for 7)...at which time I would be going with the following; (Gilbert sent to the rock and Boqvist recalled)

after all fielding the best lineup is what we should be doing right?

Nylander-Toews"C"-Saad
Kubalik-Dach-Kane"A"
Cat-Strome-Shaw
Cagguila-Kampf-Perlini

Keith"A"- Gus
Dehaan-Murphy
Maatta-Boqvist
Lehner

My chronic AHDH (or whatever that acronym is) couldn't make the whole post but ... this:
"... 4K really should be the 7th d in front of Seabrook whose roster spot truly belongs to Boqvist ..."
For sure.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The coach is young and clueless, the players are not as good as we think they are on paper, most can’t hang on to the pick and cycle well, Crow sucked, this was not a playoff team tonight and most likely isn’t long term. People like to blame effort, how about this team is just not that good?
Exactly.

They are worse than the Flyers, and the Flyers suck. The ice was tilted against the Hawks. There was a gap in talent.

Hawks are worse than Lausanne!

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I 100% agree that it takes time to gel at game speed and adapt to new faces.

And, again, we're just analyzing one game here.

But, there are things I do believe should remain pretty consistent. The top line of Toews/Kane should be a possession & cycle driver regardless of whoever is on the other wing. The current fourth line should be an effective shut down/grit line either playing hard on the walls in their zone or stifling talent in ours. Keith should be more solid, as perhaps so should Crow. When Murph comes back the same goes for him, dude is very consistent.

We didn't see any of that in game 1 and they got a week to come back with an agenda (which is probably a very good thing).

The middle 6 I can't put my finger on. They have plenty of talent but I just don't know where they stack up 5V5 in regards to the tougher aspects of the game in terms of puck battles, physicality, etc.

In regards to the whole team, again, there's a lot of talent, especially in their ability to put the puck in the net up & down the lineup. They can certainly pot'em against any team who doesn't play a very tight game. However, when the compete level got higher in the playoff/wildcard race towards the end of last season we all saw that ability fall off a cliff for the most important stretch of games.

I say, the next 20+ games ya have to see improvement in dominance in all three zones, a tighter checking game and a better cycle game regardless of the outcome of the individual games themselves.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Any thoughts on why JC switched the D pairings to start the 3rd ? He went with Keith/Koekkoek and Gilbert/Gust. He kept those pairs for about the first 10 min until Philly scored against the K/K pair. After that Koekkoek didn't get much ice time. Despite Gilbert's early gaffe, JC seemed to like him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
68-49 shot attempts in favour of PHI
39-31 shots on goal in favour of PHI

31-14 5x5 scoring chances in favour of PHI

And the piece de la ersistance:

High Danger Scoring Chances:

12-4 in favour of PHI.

Textbook domination vs. No Shows..

Infrequent brief bursts only = 3 scores with Kane central on all of these..not that he was great I this ga e..but still efficiently effective in the production we did manage.

But tfecsame old bugavoos we have complained about the Hawks for a long time now ate still there..

Opps capitalize on sloppy or poor effort mistakes...Hawks chasing and cannot get pucks back / poor checking...bad luck bounces into our net.. Uneven goaltending...some he could have played better on...but some he made great svesvon otherwise score is 8-3...
The 1 very bad period of total domination by the opps...yup..we saw that in the 2nd ...

The futilelate cosmetic score flattering late strike ....The Kane only where'the rest show...

On on it goes...

All that hoopla about JC this time had practice time to get his systems down and we get this meh performance ...no try...no energy..no full 60...mistakes...no crispness.. no speed...no urgency...

Yup...same old Hawks on display.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Its just the first game but we have apparent flaws. We have too many forwards who arent good defensively, our defensemen arent the best at defending and we have almost no transition game from the back end besides Gus.

I think balancing the lines out and fine-tuning the effort can help with the first one, de Haan and Murphy make our defensive much better but the last one is going to be an issue the whole year. And its not as simple as bring up Boqvist, he would just create more problems in front of the net. I think we need to wait until Mitchell is here and Boqvist is ready unfortunately to provide solution.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Am I naive for thinking our defense gets better when Murphy and de Haan finally step on the ice? If we substitute Gilbert and K4, maybe yesterday's outcome is different. I realize some people are high on Glibert ... but he still has a lot to learn.

Docker

Jun 22, 2019
Haven’t watched but recorded it and am watching now. Consensus seems to be the NHL players of the Chicago Blackhawks organization were half-assing it.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Haven’t watched but recorded it and am watching now. Consensus seems to be the NHL players of the Chicago Blackhawks organization were half-assing it.
Low energy, outworked and out hustled. The effort level in our own end is pretty bad, Crawford hung out to dry many times.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Come on Kenny. You've watched enough hockey to see that Bo is not even close to NHL ready (as a Dman).

He most likely agrees with you Bobby but what he really probably means is Bo is not worse than Seabs.

Problem is Seabrook is going to play regardless of how suspect he is, it would not fit Hawks brass to sit him at the dollars he's paid, they would feel embarrassed.

He's part of the "aging" core

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Any thoughts on why JC switched the D pairings to start the 3rd ? He went with Keith/Koekkoek and Gilbert/Gust. He kept those pairs for about the first 10 min until Philly scored against the K/K pair. After that Koekkoek didn't get much ice time. Despite Gilbert's early gaffe, JC seemed to like him.

Panic?
Wait ... that guy's in DC.

Docker

Jun 22, 2019
Low energy, outworked and out hustled. The effort level in our own end is pretty bad, Crawford hung out to dry many times.

Hypothetically, if you pretended you were a fan of some other NHL team and watched a game of theirs, don’t you think you would have the same thoughts and frustrations when plays go certain ways? Of course not in hindsight when your team happens to win the Cup, but I don’t understand the idea that “the professional players on my favorite team are lazy compared to the professional players on other teams.”

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Am I naive for thinking our defense gets better when Murphy and de Haan finally step on the ice? If we substitute Gilbert and K4, maybe yesterday's outcome is different. I realize some people are high on Glibert ... but he still has a lot to learn.
Possible if you think his turnover changed the direction of the game.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Come on Kenny. You've watched enough hockey to see that Bo is not even close to NHL ready (as a Dman).

Touche.
Just that ever 7's on the ice now, I'm in, "Seconds From Disaster" mode.

Haha joke try but ... true and it su*ks b//c the guy WAS my favorite Hawk the Cups wins years.
Well one of about 5-6-7-8 pick a number.

That NMC really is ... a ball & chain on the Hawks ability to compete - not literally of course, Seabrook isn't skating around w/ a metal chain & cannon ball attached to his ankle. Least not that I can see but my eyesight not what it used to be ...

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Its just the first game but we have apparent flaws. We have too many forwards who arent good defensively, our defensemen arent the best at defending and we have almost no transition game from the back end besides Gus.

I think balancing the lines out and fine-tuning the effort can help with the first one, de Haan and Murphy make our defensive much better but the last one is going to be an issue the whole year. And its not as simple as bring up Boqvist, he would just create more problems in front of the net. I think we need to wait until Mitchell is here and Boqvist is ready unfortunately to provide solution.

This has been our downfall last couple of seasons, and some want to rid Gus, and if he's goes we have no one to fill that.

Reactions: Muffinalt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad