GDT: Hawks vs Flyers: 1PM CT on NBCSCH, NHLN, SN360 - Saader-man: Far From Home edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So the Hawks play three games thur/sat/mon then sit again until next fri night...so is that the game they likely play Dach?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Dach is ready to go sometime soon, I don’t think he’s going to play on the third line.

With the way Colliton used that third line (14.29 offensive zone faceoff%, basically how Q used his Kruger lines) it seems like a terrible spot to ease in an 18 year old rookie with a high offensive ceiling.

So either Colliton changes the usage of that line for Dach, or Dach is replacing either Nylander or Shaw in the top six and is starting off on the wing for now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Dach is ready to go sometime soon, I don’t think he’s going to play on the third line.

With the way Colliton used that third line (14.29 offensive zone faceoff%, basically how Q used his Kruger lines) it seems like a terrible spot to ease in an 18 year old rookie with a high offensive ceiling.

So either Colliton changes the usage of that line for Dach, or Dach is replacing either Nylander or Shaw in the top six and is starting off on the wing for now.
or...does he go:

Saad - Toews - Shaw
Nylander - Dach - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Kubalik
Caggiula - Kampf - Carpenter

1st and 4th lines get the tough draws, lines 2/3 feast on the easier matchups...it is an option depending how spread out JC wants things and STILL keep Dach at center..that 3rd line is getting over 14 minutes a game obviously, especially on the power play with Cat and Strome..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I could see Dach starting off at wing,

Nylander - Toews - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - Shaw
Saad - Kampf - Dach
Caggiula - Smith - Kubalik

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I could see Dach starting off at wing,

Nylander - Toews - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - Shaw
Saad - Kampf - Dach
Caggiula - Smith - Kubalik

Why not just let him center that line? I don’t want him anywhere near that offensive blackhole Kampf.

I’d move Shaw to Dach’s RW on the 3rd line aks Caggiula in place of Shaw on the second line.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why not just let him center that line? I don’t want him anywhere near that’s offensive blackhole Kampf.

I’d move Shaw to Dach’s RW on the 3rd line aks Caggiula in place of Shaw on the second line.
C is a lot of responsibility, especially for his first game vs men. I'd ease him in, get him comfortable at this level, and if he is handling it well move him to C.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
C is a lot of responsibility, especially for his first game vs men. I'd ease him in, get him comfortable at this level, and if he is handling it well move him to C.

What’s more detrimental, him taking on that responsibility or being moved to a position he’s not as comfortable at?

Let him sink or swim for starters at the C position.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
or...does he go:

Saad - Toews - Shaw
Nylander - Dach - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Kubalik
Caggiula - Kampf - Carpenter

1st and 4th lines get the tough draws, lines 2/3 feast on the easier matchups...it is an option depending how spread out JC wants things and STILL keep Dach at center..that 3rd line is getting over 14 minutes a game obviously, especially on the power play with Cat and Strome..

Ah, yes that's definitely the other route. I was thinking if he tries to keep the foundation of the lines the same, but if he just scrambles it all up then this is an option.

Either way, do you agree that he's likely not sticking Dach between Saad and Kubalik to be the matchup line?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
What’s more detrimental, him taking on that responsibility or being moved to a position he’s not as comfortable at?

Do we know he's not comfortable at wing?

While center likely will be his eventual position, does that necessarily mean he's uncomfortable at wing?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Do we know he's not comfortable at wing?

While center likely will be his eventual position, does that necessarily mean he's uncomfortable at wing?

He looked fantastic at the Hlinka playing wing with Lafreniere (with Krebs on the other side). I was very impressed with his game at wing to be honest. I get that the center position is at a premium so if anyone can do it well stick him there, but i wouldn't be opposed to see him at wing once in a while when we are going nuclear with the top six.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ah, yes that's definitely the other route. I was thinking if he tries to keep the foundation of the lines the same, but if he just scrambles it all up then this is an option.

Either way, do you agree that he's likely not sticking Dach between Saad and Kubalik to be the matchup line?
I would have no issue with him starting with Saad or Kampf, but the problem is the kid hasn't been able to practice with any of these guys for weeks..we honestly have no clue where he would look best until he steps out there on the ice. I would love to see Dach and Kane, but that weakens Toews overall...so have to pick our poison here, if we want Dach producing and contributing then putting him with Kane makes the most sense..but if we want Toews to be that $10 mil player, playing him with Saad and Shaw isn't the most ideal nor is it bad though..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would have no issue with him starting with Saad or Kampf, but the problem is the kid hasn't been able to practice with any of these guys for weeks..we honestly have no clue where he would look best until he steps out there on the ice. I would love to see Dach and Kane, but that weakens Toews overall...so have to pick our poison here, if we want Dach producing and contributing then putting him with Kane makes the most sense..but if we want Toews to be that $10 mil player, playing him with Saad and Shaw isn't the most ideal nor is it bad though..

How about Dach-Toews-Kane? I don't know where you put Nylander, but Dach gets to ride next to Toews and Kane until he's ready to take over for Toews, or get moved down the lineup to center his own line.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

He is famaliar with wing, played there in tournaments for Team Canada. I don't think it would be detrimental at all, in fact it may help him more, IMO.

Reactions: d rake and RayP

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Just watched the JC interview from a few days ago. He sounds like he doesn't think Dach needs any sheltering at all. "We'll see" was used of course but he's pretty straight about these things so I don't think it's in his initial plans.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Just watched the JC interview from a few days ago. He sounds like he doesn't think Dach needs any sheltering at all. "We'll see" was used of course but he's pretty straight about these things so I don't think it's in his initial plans.

Is there any recent precedent for a top pick being thrown directly into the fire on a matchup line that takes a heavy majority of its draws in the defensive zone?

If Colliton chooses to do this with Dach, I feel like it's kind of setting him up to fail. Why not just put Toews in that slot, and put Dach with Nylander and Kane?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Is there any recent precedent for a top pick being thrown directly into the fire on a matchup line that takes a heavy majority of its draws in the defensive zone?

If Colliton chooses to do this with Dach, I feel like it's kind of setting him up to fail. Why not just put Toews in that slot, and put Dach with Nylander and Kane?

I don't think his comments directly mean he will replace Kampf on the matchup line. He could still be out on wing, JC can reshuffle the lines like you say, or the defensive zone starts can go to the fourth line making our third a non matchup line again.

JC isn't a very heavy matchup coach anyway, he was rolling four lines last year so he can go back to that. We have ample options which is perfect to bring in Dach without needing to protect him while still being able to put him in positions that suit his strengths.

But just for the record, Dach is good defensively, is a great backchecker, and is good at carrying through the neutral zone. It's not precedent but if he were to be a matchup line center I think he has all the abilities.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

You can change how you do the matchups. The 3rd line doesn't have to be the line to handle the toughest assignments.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

I'd agree. We didn't have to ease in Toews at wing, did we? If he looks bad in a couple of shifts as a center then maybe try him at wing for a bit for NHL game experience, but you'd think if his primary position is a center then you gotta see what he can do at center 1st and foremost--even if it is a boy against men situation.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Right, I laid that option out above

I'm saying just because he is the 3C doesn't mean that line has to matchup against the other teams 1s. You were suggesting switching Toews and him, unless I'm misunderstanding you. I'm saying he can stay on the 3rd line and just use the 3rd line differently.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm saying just because he is the 3C doesn't mean that line has to matchup against the other teams 1s. You were suggesting switching Toews and him, unless I'm misunderstanding you. I'm saying he can stay on the 3rd line and just use the 3rd line differently.

i said that assuming deployment remains the same. I said above changing deployment is one option to accommodate Dach.

sorry, I think those two thoughts got separated and were unclear

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad