Has Chara ever lost a fight?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It's obvious isn't it? Chara starts punching Cairns when he is held by a linesman, and then breaks up the fight with Chara flat on his back, maybe I am missing something. :laugh:

Yeah it's obvious you missed quite a lot.:laugh:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Chara vs Oliwa

Sadly only happened once, but Oliwa tried to fight him a few times when Chara was with the Isles. I think Chara was actually scared to fight him. The one fight they did have was all Oliwa with Chara falling and pulling Oliwa down with him.

Chara isn't unbeatable, there are much tougher fighters around.

Chara vs Oliwa happened eons ago. Are really judging Zdeno's fighting ability for something that happened a decade in the past?

MetroOpensDoors

Jul 10, 2007
Boston
Z is not a great hockey fighter for a few reasons.

1.) His size is a disadvantage for fighting on skates. It's a matter of center of gravity. The lower the center of gravity, the easier it is to maintain balance.

2.) It is not a huge component of his game. The guy is a Norris Trophy winner and three time finalist. I doubt it is something he works on in the off season. A guy like Shawn Thornton takes boxing classes during the summer. Chara bikes the Tour de France route and climbs Mt. Kilimanjaro.

3.) His father wrestled in the Olympics for Czechoslovakia. Stories about his development have always reported that wrestling with his dad was a large part of his training growing up. So he will probably always default to a wrestler's mentality.

4.) His main weapon seems to be a haymaker, which like his slapper is hard to get off in real conditions. But if he does land a clean one, with his size and leverage, I wouldn't want to be behind on the receiving end.

5.) I don't think he is a willing fighter, especially now. When he was younger he had to fight because he was the biggest guy out there and players are always trying to prove themselves (especially in the WHL). Then when he got the NHL, there was the same mentality, BUT also his skating took forever to develop. So if he wanted to play in this league he had to fight some to get minutes. But now he picks his fights based more on necessity (ie The Captain stepping in to handle a situation) rather than because guys are challenging him all the time.

6.) Though I will say, knowing what we know about Chara's work ethic, if he felt that fighting was the only way for him to stay an NHL player, he'd work hard to make himself the best in the league.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Chara vs Oliwa happened eons ago. Are really judging Zdeno's fighting ability for something that happened a decade in the past?

The thread is "has Chara ever lost a fight" not Has Chara lost a fight this year.

Plus I didn't know 2003 was eons ago...:help:

Sabres1026*

He hugs the guy and then tackles him. Never seen that goofy looking guy actually fight.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Right, it must be easy winning all those fights when you are lying flat on your back half the time. :yo:

Chara landed all the punches in the fight. And majority of them were thrown when referees were not involved. How can anyone can give this fight to Cairns is beyond a rational though.

He hugs the guy and then tackles him. Never seen that goofy looking guy actually fight.

Who are you talking about? Zach Stortini?

Last edited:

bostone737

Jun 21, 2011
Toronto
Didn't Chris Neil clearly beat him this year?

he COULD have, but Neil showed a lot of class by not teeing off on Chara when Zdeno fell on his but. Other than that it wasn't really a fight... I respect Neil fully for showing some restraint. Even Chara gave him a couple of pats afterward like saying 'hey, thanks for not breaking my face'

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I like hearing this from Leaf fans... the same bunch that wants to canonize Wendel Clark.

I love Wendie. But I am not a fan pummeling guys while they were vulnerable. Doesn't mean i can't point it out on Chara. And its funny cause i gave him a little respect; but your hater goggles stayed on point.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Chara has won a few, lost a couple, and has turned down a few...he's not out there to chuck 'em ....should be an interesting year, to see if people start running at him, how he will react...he has his Cup, look for a drop in motivation...;)

Jahodac

Feb 12, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Most of Chara's fights involve him bear hugging and twirling his opponent in circles and throwing weak punches until one of them fall over. I guess you could say he hasn't lost many fights but you could also argue a lot of those fights are losses since he did fall first. Either way, his isn't a fighter.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Chara.....decent fighter with a lot of power but very sad balance. I would put him near the top of the heavy weight division .. but not an elite fighter. If he stood an threw toe to toe with out losing his balance he would have more respect.

Last edited:

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Probably has lost a few, he's got terrible balance when fighting, probably the worst I've seen. That's not what he's there for though so oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad