Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yeah, the timing was weird but it all worked out as expected. We're kind of over reacting. This told me that they were still on fence about buying him out at the expansion draft and they already knew how the expansion draft was going to work out. As I said the key to the expansion draft is getting the team to draft the player that you want them to. We obviously did that, although I'm still convinced that was the right move (we've had the discussion already, nothing new will come out of it by hammering me).

I enjoyed having him as a player here, but we knew this was a possibility when we got him. He still contributed but obviously there were some issues in his game.

Good luck to him and I wash him well.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
:laugh: Vegas wouldnt have given a damn if we wanted 2 players safe or 3 they still would have wanted the same deal. This is just the PLD draft all over again where in some magical world thet could have gathered assests and got their guy while meanwhile its pretty obvious Jarmo wasnt a Pulju fan.
As for the buyout maybe there is a trade coming or even if not they still bought Hartnell out before July 1 so its not like they screwed him after and he has limited teams to negotiate with because everyone spent their money

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
This has to be false because they didn't select Anderson who was not on the "protection list." You have to give up something to protect exposed players. You give up more if there are more exposed players to protect. If you buy out Hartnell before the ED and protect Anderson, you have fewer exposed players you want to protect.

Alright I agree with you in that we probably lost the second due to that asset management, but I still think the first is gone no matter what just to shed Clarkson.

I think we should have ditched Hartnell before the ED but I'm saying we still accomplished a lot. It wasn't a failure IMO.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Not too surprised by the news in buying out Hartnell's contract. You could tell he was struggling come February. Personally, if we don't have any reals plans for spending much of his cap hit, I'd have probably let him play on the 4th line or be a healthy scratch some games in the press box this year and buy out the last year of his contract.

But, I have a feeling the Jackets are wanting to make a big move via trading or free agency.. But, I don't see Joe Thornton wanting to come to Columbus, read that Kovalchuk wants to go back to Russia now.

Do we keep trying for Duchene? Do we try and sign Nick Bonino via free agency?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
How'd we do in the playoffs? Seems like it was almost painful in most of the games trying to generate any offense

You didn't provide stats for the playoffs when you were kvetching. You gave stats for the regular season...

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Ding ding ding. You only want to protect two exposed players instead of three. Paying to protect two will cost you less than paying to protect three. It's math.

It's not as simple as your "math". You're assuming Anderson was an expensive part of the deal. Perhaps the most expensive part of the deal was Clarkson's contract. You're assuming that protecting less = less required in a deal. That's an assumption, not "math"

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not too surprised by the news in buying out Hartnell's contract. You could tell he was struggling come February. Personally, if we don't have any reals plans for spending much of his cap hit, I'd have probably let him play on the 4th line or be a healthy scratch some games in the press box this year and buy out the last year of his contract.

But, I have a feeling the Jackets are wanting to make a big move via trading or free agency.. But, I don't see Joe Thornton wanting to come to Columbus, read that Kovalchuk wants to go back to Russia now.

Do we keep trying for Duchene? Do we try and sign Nick Bonino via free agency?

When I think number 1 center I don't think Nick Bonino. They have to be thinking bigger with this money.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wait why are people upset about this? I'm confused.
Personally, I'd have been content with riding out the contract, and so I think the move was unnecessary. I'm not sure if that qualifies me as "upset" or not.

OTOH, there's some folks who seem to think that if we'd bought him out earlier we could have given less to Vegas. I think that's reaching a little. I suspect if that was really possible Kekalainen would have done it. Maybe you can fault him for "negotiating with Vegas too early" or something silly like that.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Personally, I'd have been content with riding out the contract, and so I think the move was unnecessary. I'm not sure if that qualifies me as "upset" or not.

OTOH, there's some folks who seem to think that if we'd bought him out earlier we could have given less to Vegas. I think that's reaching a little. I suspect if that was really possible Kekalainen would have done it. Maybe you can fault him for "negotiating with Vegas too early" or something silly like that.

Yeah, I would have been fine with that too. I'm also fine with this. :)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I think the only part to be upset about is if the extra cap space isnt used to improve the team then we could have kept him for 1 more year and lessened the buyout cost. But removing the player aseasy to like as he is shouldnt be a big deal. If Jarmo adds more salary like Duchene for example I wouldnt be syrprised to either see us use the Chicago model where there is a lot of turnover or they try to flip Dubi/Foligno. JJ is interesting too, could be gone and management is probably hoping Murray takes a step or 2 in the right direction

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

I'm not totally sure what Darkandstormy is all worked up about, and we all know why CA hates this move, but he was a bit of a fan favorite. I liked him because we got him for my least favorite player in franchise history personally.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
He was great for us, but it is time to move on. With that said, we must be planning a big move, because buying him out next year made more sense.

This is what I think, too. I don't really prognosticate deals but this move combined with JD's comments combined with Jarmo's ability to deftly navigate transactions leads me to believe we got summat cookin

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Agreed here, and it leads me to believe that a big move is on the horizon. I could be qualified as "upset" if this is just an isolated incident, as this would have been cheaper to do next summer, but my morale would still be rather high overall.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Keeping Hartnell in the dark about his future with the club was a bit ****** of the FO.

Hey guys Oilers fan here. I've always been big on Scott Hartnell. He works out at the same group training facility that I do in Kelowna and this morning before the workout he was pretty hard on his phone. He got off the phone and did the workout and left during the stretches and was back on the phone. It wasn't until a couple ours later that I went on line and seen he had been bought out right before my eyes:amazed:.

Funny thing is I was wearing my RNH Oilers t-shirt when he seen me. Maybe now that we're buying out pouliot there's room for him on the cheap.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Funny thing is I was wearing my RNH Oilers t-shirt when he seen me. Maybe now that we're buying out pouliot there's room for him on the cheap.

I think Hartnell can still bring a lot to the club, the contract was the issue here. It'd be cool to see him play at home.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

The only necessary moves are those related to cap ceiling or basement; so yes the move was unnecessary. That doesn't mean, however, that the FO and/or coaching staff didn't have good reasons for it.

Let's keep in mind that Hartnell was no part of this team's future. So they had to weigh his contributions in relation to his ice time.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
IMO, we almost have the payroll where I would like to see it. I'd like us to shed another 5 million based on our current players.

We are around the money that I feel ok keep that monstrosity of a contract that is Bob's.

Obviously the next move(s) would be harder. It might be time to move Johnson, but any player would probably be determined by a trade.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Why do you want the team so far away from the ceiling? The team doesn't have any dead cap players right now everyone is being paid fair and with 3 or less years on the higher deals we have. We have very reasonable priced players so I just don't see this move people just to move them cap management.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'd have been ok riding out this year, seeing if we can duplicate last year and moving forward with a buyout of the last year from there...but just my opinion

to be open about my preferences
wanted to trade him 1st, keep him 1 more year 2nd, buyout 3rd, keep for both years last

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Unless we plan to spend to the cap, what was the point of buying him out? This just drags the cap hit out further when we could be done in 2 years right? Seems silly to buy-out, but I also don't know what I'm talking about ever either, so maybe it does make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad