Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Timing seems goofy to me. Could have protected Anderson and maybe had a better deal with LV. I think this is the right thing to do next year's 3 mill cap hit notwithstanding.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Timing seems goofy to me. Could have protected Anderson and maybe had a better deal with LV. I think this is the right thing to do next year's 3 mill cap hit notwithstanding.

The only thing I can imagine is Jarmo had his deal done early with VGK, so he didn't have to tip his hand. Plus, was probably trying to work a deal to get Hartnell to a preferred landing spot for player and team.

Hate to see the man go. He represented this team well.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I think the timing makes sense, provided we trade for Duchene/Kovalchuk. We might've kept Hartnell had we not agreed to a deal for one of those guys.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Keeping Hartnell in the dark about his future with the club was a bit ****** of the FO.

Mar 1, 2002
I think if they spend on anyone, it will be Thornton.

Panarin-Wennberg-Anderson
Jenner-Jumbo-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubinksy-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Sedlak-Dubois

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the timing makes sense, provided we trade for Duchene/Kovalchuk. We might've kept Hartnell had we not agreed to a deal for one of those guys.

You're assuming we have deal for one of them? I prefer Duchene if we do.

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Maybe Vegas wouldn't have taken Clarkson if Karlsson wasn't the guy they could pick?

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Keeping Hartnell in the dark about his future with the club was a bit ****** of the FO.

It was reported last May he wouldn't be with the team. The team likely tried to move him for something since then, but weren't willing to take a bad contract in return. If anything got close, I'm sure he would have been asked to waive. More respectful to Hartnell to try to trade him than buy him out, but better now so he has 30 teams to look into and he controls his own destiny.

I'd be shocked if Hartnell is surprised by this news today.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland

CBJ has considered moving him before, so what's the big deal? Things change in this league. Suddenly, a prospect looks like they are panning out or a guy is being shopped around from another team. I don't think he's kept in the dark.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
CBJ has considered moving him before, so what's the big deal? Things change in this league. Suddenly, a prospect looks like they are panning out or a guy is being shopped around from another team. I don't think he's kept in the dark.

I think you owe it to a guy to let him know about his future, especially if you've known you were going to buy him out for a while, which is the impression I've gotten.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think you owe it to a guy to let him know about his future, especially if you've known you were going to buy him out for a while, which is the impression I've gotten.

So CBJ management knew, reporters knew, we knew, but he didn't?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

We literally have absolutely no idea what has been said between the FO and Hartnell, it's very possible he's really expected since the exit meeting that he's not gonna be on the team.

My question now is, does he pull a Gregory Campbell and get a job in player development or something along those lines? Maybe he joins Shelly in the booth?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That's the impression I get, yeah.

Hmph. Possible, I suppose, but I don't get that impression. I guess insert "it's a business, he knew what he signed up for, etc" here if that's the case.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
It was rumored, or even expected, that CBJ would ask Hartnell to waive his NMC earlier in June to protect its players from the Expansion Draft.

It never had to happen, since CBJ made a deal with Vegas.

So, while we don't know what was communicated between FO and Hartnell, you can't say it is completely out of the blue.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's the impression I get, yeah.
Given that we knew because of a rumor that he was told he wouldn't be kept, this strikes me as a little improbable.

All the same, I wish we could have kept him. Reminds me almost of when we let Prospal walk.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo completely botched this buyout / expansion draft. You had a freaking pre-expansion draft window to do this! Awful, awful planning by GMJK.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Really enjoyed his time in Columbus... and had hoped he to see him go out on a better note.

But hopefully this is a sign theres still something in the cards for us this off-season.. something better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->