Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Unless we plan to spend to the cap, what was the point of buying him out? This just drags the cap hit out further when we could be done in 2 years right? Seems silly to buy-out, but I also don't know what I'm talking about ever either, so maybe it does make sense.

Could be they just want to open a roster space for a younger, faster guy.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
First, good luck to Hartsy. I really appreciate all he did for the organization. In his first year here, my son and I were watching warmups near the players' bench early in the season. He gave my son a signed stick of his which I thought was an awesome gesture and something my son still keeps in his room.

Second, Hartsy was probably the one who told Portzline about his exit meeting where he was told he likely wouldn't be back. A buyout was planned back then, barring a trade appearing, which I guess didn't. We were wondering here whether the Clarkson trade would change that decision, but it appears that trade was agreed to prior to the exit meeting. So, it looks like it's been the plan for awhile to shed the Hartnell and Clarkson contracts from the roster.

The question is now what the next step is.

JacketsWatcher

Jan 8, 2011
Wouldn't the CBJ have told Vegas they could buyout Hartnell prior to the entry draft and that Anderson wouldn't be available? They would then negotiate the deal under that assumption. When they reached agreement on the deal, they didn't need to buyout Hartnell until the buyout deadline.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Wouldn't the CBJ have told Vegas they could buyout Hartnell prior to the entry draft and that Anderson wouldn't be available? They would then negotiate the deal under that assumption. When they reached agreement on the deal, they didn't need to buyout Hartnell until the buyout deadline.

Yes, this seems like the likely scenario given what we know now.

It was likely hard to gauge exactly what the cost of doing business with Vegas was going to be, as this was really a unique expansion. But, it looks like Jarmo and JD felt there was value in getting things settled early and so felt the price they paid was fair for getting Clarkson out, protect Korpi and JJ and clearing up the future earlier than other teams. But, I don't think Anderson was in the price as they probably told Vegas they were planning to buy out Hartnell if Anderson was a target.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Further proof of what I have been saying for months--- the Jackets are going for "it" in the next year or two. thank goodness. No more waiting for the "rebuild" that never really is completed.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
I think you owe it to a guy to let him know about his future, especially if you've known you were going to buy him out for a while, which is the impression I've gotten.

Here's your consolation prize $1.x Million for the next couple of years! Thank you for representing the jersey well.

He's a favorite of mine.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Ding ding ding. You only want to protect two exposed players instead of three. Paying to protect two will cost you less than paying to protect three. It's math.

If a deal was in place before the season ended (rumored in March), it's possible the price wouldn't have changed...or... possibly have gone up the longer you wait to cut a deal. Yes, it's math but that doesn't mean the compensation would have been any different.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
We wasted a protection spot in the expansion draft on someone we bought out a week after the expansion draft.

That's absolutely terrible asset management and planning.

You need to have the foresight in March that you're going to buy the guy out in June. It's not hard. Doing so would have freed up a protection spot for Anderson.

So then paying to not select Johnson + Korpi costs you a lot less than paying to not select Anderson + Johnson + Korpi.

Then, it was poor planning. You take Anderson off the table if you buy out Hartnell before the ED. You have fewer players you want to protect in a side deal, which means you don't pay as much of a premium.

And a 2017 1st round pick and a 2019 2nd round pick. These are assets that were lost.

The 1st + Clarkson nearly offset - I get that and I'm fine with it. The Islanders did the same with Grabovski.

They essentially paid a 2nd (plus whatever partial value of the 1st that we didn't pay them to take Clarkson) to protect Anderson, Johnson, and Korpisalo. That 2nd rounder perhaps could be a 3rd or 4th rounder, or even a B or C prospect, to only protect Johnson and Korpisalo.

"The deal" becomes less if you know you're going to buy out Hartnell pre-expansion draft because Anderson gets protected automatically. This isn't hard guys.

Ding ding ding. You only want to protect two exposed players instead of three. Paying to protect two will cost you less than paying to protect three. It's math.

Look at your two scenarios.

[A.]
Has to cost you less than
[B.]

Maybe not significantly, but it would have cost less.

Another post or two and we will have you off the ledge and back in the window.
:)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Unless we plan to spend to the cap, what was the point of buying him out? This just drags the cap hit out further when we could be done in 2 years right? Seems silly to buy-out, but I also don't know what I'm talking about ever either, so maybe it does make sense.

Keep in mind there is a trade deadline that will require space to acquire (yes, I'm an optimist). We'll need space for that as well as re-signing Wennberg and Anderson. Maybe they are thinking Wennberg longer term than a bridge and still want to add. I'm also not sure there are other players on the team that would be lower value than Hartnell at this point so it's possible he would sit in the press box and at full ticket, that's not ideal either. Saves some money, opens a space and continues moving towards a faster lineup with more skill.

I"ll miss him but this was a good move (not implying you think otherwise - to be clear).

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why do you want the team so far away from the ceiling? The team doesn't have any dead cap players right now everyone is being paid fair and with 3 or less years on the higher deals we have. We have very reasonable priced players so I just don't see this move people just to move them cap management.

You think so? I don't know, I wouldn't call the play of Foligno and most of our forwards the last half of the season worthy of their contracts. Bob fell flat on his face in the playoffs, as did most of the team. (yeah, I know that people are trying to cut Bob slack because of the Pens forwards. If anything that proved how inadequate our veterans really are.). We actually let our best forward in the playoffs head off to Vegas. I don't see the contracts of our veterans the same way as virtually everyone around here.

As far as why I would like more space is that I see the contracts we have this season and the ones upcoming, including Werenski and quite possibly Bob. If Jenner pops back to 25+ goals he isn't going to come cheap. I would also like us to be able to acquire a core player in the even that the opportunity arises.

I don't think we are close to winning the Cup; despite these "all in" posts going around. Some of our core players need continued development and I don't trust our veterans to drag us forward; with the exception of maybe a Dubinsky. Jones and Werenski are still learning. This is a process.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Keep in mind that not everybody who is saying that the front office is "all in" may believe that the team is close to the Cup. They may simply be stating what it seems the mentality of the front office is.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Keep in mind that not everybody who is saying that the front office is "all in" may believe that the team is close to the Cup. They may simply be stating what it seems the mentality of the front office is.

Why would anyone care what anyone but the FO thinks? That is who drives decisions. I'd be a bit concerned if the FO actually believed that.

At any rate, I saw an article I think on TSN that had some JK quotes. Basically it a difficult decision, but he basically referenced ice time/player development type of things. So yeah, it sure seems like they just didn't think his production was worth the ice time they would be giving him. It's fairly obvious that Torts wasn't all that thrilled. Torts has been all about young kid development/ice time.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Because nobody actually knows what the FO thinks, so media quotes and the like are the closest we can get to details on such things?

I tend to evaluate based on observation, not some random "journalist". I'm watching and waiting. So far no move I've seen suggests "all-in" to me. I'm not saying that they aren't, that it's being reported is simply making me look at it closer. Give Thorton a two or three year deal, that would change.

I don't find AP and the Dispatch terribly insightful and guys I trust like Dreger are more "get information from trusted sources". I'm not dumping on AP, I just don't trust his speculation and his "sources" don't seem all that credible.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Hey guys Oilers fan here. I've always been big on Scott Hartnell. He works out at the same group training facility that I do in Kelowna and this morning before the workout he was pretty hard on his phone. He got off the phone and did the workout and left during the stretches and was back on the phone. It wasn't until a couple ours later that I went on line and seen he had been bought out right before my eyes:amazed:.

Funny thing is I was wearing my RNH Oilers t-shirt when he seen me. Maybe now that we're buying out pouliot there's room for him on the cheap.

The next time you see him working out - please tell him there are plenty of Jackets fans that are wishing him all the best! & if he ever wants to shoot the **** while catching a bunch of pickerel up at his cottage, LetsGOJackets!!! is all in.

Now it seems to me that I have to be one of Hartzy's biggest fans.. and I am ok with the buyout. It was the right thing to do. Love Hartnell Down.. dude is a bad ass.

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA
God Bless Scott Hartnell!
As has already been said, this guy is awesome. He loves Columbus, he is thrilled to be a member at Muirfield, he is having a great summer (friends wedding followed by Ireland bachelor party and soon to marry). But he really wanted to stay with the Blue Jackets and his new favorite city, Columbus.

I know the buyout is good for the team, but man, I love when he is on the ice and in our locker room.

All the best to Scott and his future. We will miss you but we hope you always keep your home here and continue to be a part of our CBJ family in perpetuity.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I wish him well and hope he catches on with another team.

When we traded Umby we had an unhappy, unproductive player. We traded him for a guy that gave us a couple of good years, but ultimately we couldn't move him and chose to buy him out. Sucks to have dead money, but at least doing it now (vs years ago with Umby) is the team has enough talent that it won't prevent us from competing.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I was trying to be pragmatic with my initial reaction to this but the longer I sit with it I like it less and less.

I love the player, for sure, but we all knew this was inevitable. Better to do this than to get into a situation where he's a healthy scratch on a frequent basis.

Of course, by Monday, we will hopefully have better things to be happy about (not Kovalchuk I hope).

ThailandGuy

Jul 1, 2017
Pathum Thani, Thailand
I will certainly miss Hartsy. But, he was too expensive to keep. I wish we could have him still (but cheap) on our all in approach for the next two years.

BTW: I just joined again, I was originally BluJacket2 years ago, and another handle after that. I still lurk the boards everyday. We used to have an introduction thread here. Today, I became a season ticket holder again, 203, 23&24. It's good to be back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad