Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Always enjoyed watching him play. Had an edge which most players don't have anymore.

He really did slow down the second half of the season. That being said, he had the best goals for per 60 minutes 5 vs 5 on the CBJ. Given that, it's likely that injuries weren't to blame for his second half swoon. He could bounce back.

If the CBJ are going to use his space, then they did what they had to do. If they don't, then it's a very questionable move. I'm guessing that either there's a deal that's imminent that requires cap room or Wennberg will get a 5/6 year $5 million+ deal.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
We literally have absolutely no idea what has been said between the FO and Hartnell, it's very possible he's really expected since the exit meeting that he's not gonna be on the team.

My question now is, does he pull a Gregory Campbell and get a job in player development or something along those lines? Maybe he joins Shelly in the booth?

That's a fair point. I've gotten the strong impression that Hartnell has been feeding Portzline information about his status so that's certainly coloring my opinion.

I think Hartnell can still be a strong contributor, he was just on a bad contract. I doubt he retires.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Given that we knew because of a rumor that he was told he wouldn't be kept, this strikes me as a little improbable.

All the same, I wish we could have kept him. Reminds me almost of when we let Prospal walk.

It shouldn't.

Prospal never played another game anywhere. He was finis. The team correctly called it on VP. Hartnell will be signed and play in the NHL this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
$4.025m dead cap this year
$4.458m dead cap next year
$2.708m dead cap when we need to resign Panarin and Werenski and Bob

I really think this was unnecessary.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
So we have lost 61 goals and 104 assists on an offensively challenged team and added 31 goals and 43 assists. So we are 30 goals and 61 assists worse as of today. Jarmo better made a HUGE trade for a top line player or a big time signing or this off-season is a fail. We have nobody in Cleveland that's going to play top minutes and only PLD with a chance to make a splash. I love the Panarin trade but overall we are worse than we were at seasons end as of today. Hannikeinan is never going to do anything, horrible one way decision. I better be thrilled come Saturday

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So we have lost 61 goals and 104 assists on an offensively challenged team and added 31 goals and 43 assists. So we are 30 goals and 61 assists worse as of today. Jarmo better made a HUGE trade for a top line player or a big time signing or this off-season is a fail. We have nobody in Cleveland that's going to play top minutes and only PLD with a chance to make a splash. I love the Panarin trade but overall we are worse than we were at seasons end as of today. Hannikeinan is never going to do anything, horrible one way decision. I better be thrilled come Saturday

We scored the 6th most goals in the league last year.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
That's a fair point. I've gotten the strong impression that Hartnell has been feeding Portzline information about his status so that's certainly coloring my opinion.

I think Hartnell can still be a strong contributor, he was just on a bad contract. I doubt he retires.

Did hartnell contribute after Feb of 2017 ? I'm willing to bet he had more penalties taken , then points scored , from that point forward 😄. Let's face it , he's to slow , and made the jackets a much slower team . Great guy , and from all accounts great teammate, but NHL players are paid to produce . And he wasn't producing . Just the business of sports

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Jesus, free agency hasn't even BEGUN.

Deep breath, man.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even if this sort of analysis ever made sense, calling this team "offensively challenged" is a little silly given that we've been consistently top-10 in the NHL on offense for a few years now.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We wasted a protection spot in the expansion draft on someone we bought out a week after the expansion draft.

That's absolutely terrible asset management and planning.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
We wasted a protection spot in the expansion draft on someone we bought out a week after the expansion draft.

It doesn't matter. Who Vegas was selecting was determined in March.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It shouldn't.

Prospal never played another game anywhere. He was finis. The team correctly called it on VP. Hartnell will be signed and play in the NHL this year.

Hartnell will be signed based on his name value, but I'm not sure how valuable he will be. Maybe he had nagging injuries, but his speed really decreased as the season went on.

But I do wonder the impact of casting off so many players like Boll, Tyutin and now Hartnell as well as Prospal who are well liked in the locker room, especially if they feel disrespected by management.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I'm a bit perplexed that Jarmo is ok with having Hartnell against the cap for 4 more years. Ride him through this season and then only have two remaining.

Lots of cap space was created recently, so they are seemingly looking to spend some $ in the next couple weeks.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

The team finalized the ED trade back before the trade deadline. The protection list was merely a formality.

I honestly think the Jackets also planned on buying out Hartnell months ago. I don't know if this is indicative of an impending trade or signing. Rather, I think they're just trying to clear out the older guys (Hartnell, Clarkson) now so they're free and clear to re-sign the young guys.

Similar to how they handled Tyutin last year although Tyutin was further gone than Hartsy.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
$4.025m dead cap this year
$4.458m dead cap next year
$2.708m dead cap when we need to resign Panarin and Werenski and Bob

I really think this was unnecessary.

They will not be resigning Bob. I will be absolutely shocked if they do , even if he's lights out . He will be moved by then . With the glut of young talent , offensively and defensively , no way u can remotely keep your team together , paying a goalie 8 mill per season . Korpi or Elvis , have 2 years to get up to speed .

According to porty, this buyout gives us 14 mill to resign our players and bring in new talent .

As far as hartnell,

Due to NHL buyout rules, he’ll get one-third of that money ($5 million) spread over twice the remaining term (four years), or $1.25 million through the 2020-21 season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The team finalized the ED trade back before the trade deadline. The protection list was merely a formality.

I honestly think the Jackets also planned on buying out Hartnell months ago. I don't know if this is indicative of an impending trade or signing. Rather, I think they're just trying to clear out the older guys (Hartnell, Clarkson) now so they're free and clear in 4 years.

Similar to how they handled Tyutin last year although Tyutin was further gone than Hartsy.

You need to have the foresight in March that you're going to buy the guy out in June. It's not hard. Doing so would have freed up a protection spot for Anderson.

So then paying to not select Johnson + Korpi costs you a lot less than paying to not select Anderson + Johnson + Korpi.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You need to have the foresight in March that you're going to buy the guy out in June. It's not hard. Doing so would have freed up a protection spot for Anderson.

So then paying to not select Johnson + Korpi costs you a lot less than paying to not select Anderson + Johnson + Korpi.

They would have lost Johnson or Murray . We steered them to Wild Bill , which doesn't hurt us a bit , kept a trade asset in Murray , unloaded Clarksons contract , which was not Jarmos fault .

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Sigh. I don't think the buyout really helps the cap that much. Hartnell was fine in the bottom 6, and now I'd really hate to see us overpay for someone via free agency but we will see what happens.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
T

According to porty, this buyout gives us 14 mill to resign our players and bring in new talent

Let's pump the brakes on the $14m. That figure is incorrect. One of PLD/Schroeder/Motte will make the roster, right? PLD for sure. So that's ignoring his cap hit.

That's also ignoring what it will cost to re-sign Anderson and Wennberg.

So the amount to "bring in new talent" will be much less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad