Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Front office has done a remarkable job in reshaping this roster , fixing cap issues , and a move like above instantly makes us a cup contender , and also fits the long term vision they have . You know it will kill Jarmo to give up a 1st , 2 years in a row though :laugh:

I hope that Jarmo is sending some mixed signals with the rumored interest in Thornton and Kovalchuk and then drops a big bomb we aren't expecting that makes this team a legit contender.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's a shame in many ways. I've been a fan of Hartnell's since he was drafted (even amid my hatred for the Flyers). Loved having him on the CBJ. He can still play but maybe it was time based on this roster and the current state of his abilities.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This sucks. He's going to be a missed figure in the community and in the room. Hopefully his leadership he leaves behind helped our younger guys become leaders themselves. Best of luck Hartsy

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
I will definitely miss him. My first thought when we traded for him was "Hartnell? I hated that guy." He is one of those guys that you hate to play against but when he's on your team it's nothing but love. He represented the jackets well. Good luck Hartnell. I'll forever be a fan.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Anderson was never on the table because of the deal. And if the deal was done in March do you suppose they should have asked Hartnell about getting bought out and waiving during the season when they are preparing for the playoffs? That's not a locker room distraction at all.

"The deal" becomes less if you know you're going to buy out Hartnell pre-expansion draft because Anderson gets protected automatically. This isn't hard guys.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
A protection spot was used on Murray. Try again.

Right , because they steered vegas away from Anderson , Johnson , Korpi . So u would have last one of those players . Even if hartnell waived , 2 of those players are exposed. You don't instantly replace an Anderson or Johnson , and Korpi is viewed as Bobs heir appearant

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
True but I feel like those would have to be moved to ditch the Clarkson contract no matter what. I guess my point is that the timing of the moves isn't that big of a deal.

This has to be false because they didn't select Anderson who was not on the "protection list." You have to give up something to protect exposed players. You give up more if there are more exposed players to protect. If you buy out Hartnell before the ED and protect Anderson, you have fewer exposed players you want to protect.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Right , because they steered vegas away from Anderson , Johnson , Korpi . So u would have last one of those players . Even if hartnell waived , 2 of those players are exposed. You don't instantly replace an Anderson or Johnson , and Korpi is viewed as Bobs heir appearant

Ding ding ding. You only want to protect two exposed players instead of three. Paying to protect two will cost you less than paying to protect three. It's math.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
"The deal" becomes less if you know you're going to buy out Hartnell pre-expansion draft because Anderson gets protected automatically. This isn't hard guys.

And we still have Clarkson on the payroll along with a 1st round pick in a mediocre draft where we still apparently got the player we wanted in the 2nd round.

Also you need to consider that they didn't buy him out until the last possible day because they were trying to find a way to trade his contract. The buyout is a last resort. You don't know that they haven't been discussing deals with teams that just never panned out ever since the trade deadline. He is a player that still has value in the league but I'm sure nobody wanted to take it on even with retained salary on our end.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Ding ding ding. You only want to protect two exposed players instead of three. Paying to protect two will cost you less than paying to protect three. It's math.

The math was clarksons 5 mill per season to coach at upper Arlington . 😄 We just agree to disagree

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
First off I'll say so long to one of my favorite players to don a Blue Jackets sweater. I loved his own love for competition. And despite a knack for taking a few OMG penalties, he was a good guy to have as a teammate

...Now putting on a GM face, I can't disagree with the move but I would have played a different angle on moving Hartnell. This year he posted 32 points in the first 50 games - productive output by any measure. The prior season he posted 35 points in the first 50 games - incredibly similar numbers. I would have much preferred entering the season with him and enjoyed that constant and needed production at the outset, then shooting for a trade at the half-way point while still attractively productive and an interested GM only having to worry about one year at seasons end. While possibly only a modest return, you'd at least reap something while shedding the dollars and cap hit rather than carrying the anchor of a buyout. And if a trade failed to pan out that way, you then buy out the final year.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
This has to be false because they didn't select Anderson who was not on the "protection list." You have to give up something to protect exposed players. You give up more if there are more exposed players to protect. If you buy out Hartnell before the ED and protect Anderson, you have fewer exposed players you want to protect.
The problem with your argument is they made a deal to take Karlson or Calvert along with Clarkson not to protect whoever. So they could have left all our best unprotected and it didn't matter because the deal was to steer them to a player and take Clarkson along with it for what we paid.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The math was clarksons 5 mill per season to coach at upper Arlington . �� We just agree to disagree

No no, I've acknlowedged clearing Clarkson likely cost us a 2017 1st rounder (roughly). I just think the 2019 2nd rounder could have been a 3rd or 4th round pick if we took Anderson off the table (by buying out Hartnell before E.D. and using that protection spot on Anderson). Instead of "steering" Vegas away from Johnson + Anderson + Korpi, we only have to "steer" them away from Johnson + Korpi. That costs less (assuming 1st + Clarkson remains the same).

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Not sure I agree as Vegas could only select one. So I think if it were just: Korpi or Karlsson; Andy or Karlsson; or JJ for Karlsson, you'd still pay the 2nd round pick. Or the simpler way to look at it is we'll give you a 2nd to pick Bill.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why didn't they buy him out before finalizing a deal with Vegas?

Because again, the protection list didn't matter.

The deal was to keep their paws off Anderson, JJ, and Korpisalo. If we bought out Hartnell and protected Anderson, then there would have been the same deal, except protecting JJ and Korpisalo. We would have still had to give up the first, to get rid of Clarkson's contract. And Vegas likely doesn't even negotiate with us unless they got a player like Karlsson.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

The deal was to keep their paws off Anderson, JJ, and Korpisalo. If we bought out Hartnell and protected Anderson, then there would have been the same deal, except protecting JJ and Korpisalo. We would have still had to give up the first, to get rid of Clarkson's contract. And Vegas likely doesn't even negotiate with us unless they got a player like Karlsson.

Sorry my post was unclear. I was answering my own question with Portzline's tweet.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Look at your two scenarios.

The deal was to keep their paws off Anderson, JJ, and Korpisalo.

Has to cost you less than

protecting JJ and Korpisalo.

Maybe not significantly, but it would have cost less.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Look at your two scenarios.

Has to cost you less than

Maybe not significantly, but it would have cost less.

They aren't going to ask Hartnell to waive his NMC in the middle of the season. They had 2 priorities and only 2 priorities then: 1. Gearing up for the playoffs. 2. Making a deal with Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad