Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Let's pump the brakes on the $14m. That figure is incorrect. One of PLD/Schroeder/Motte will make the roster, right? PLD for sure. So that's ignoring his cap hit.

That's also ignoring what it will cost to re-sign Anderson and Wennberg.

So the amount to "bring in new talent" will be much less.

Also have to assume that Murrays salary most likely is going the other way . Assuming he is most likely to be traded

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The only thing I can imagine is Jarmo had his deal done early with VGK, so he didn't have to tip his hand. Plus, was probably trying to work a deal to get Hartnell to a preferred landing spot for player and team.

Hate to see the man go. He represented this team well.

I think Portzline has said that the VGK deal has been in place since March so protecting Anderson or Korpisalo was a moot point.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Portzline has said that the VGK deal has been in place since March so protecting Anderson or Korpisalo was a moot point.

Then, it was poor planning. You take Anderson off the table if you buy out Hartnell before the ED. You have fewer players you want to protect in a side deal, which means you don't pay as much of a premium.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
How'd we do in the playoffs? Seems like it was almost painful in most of the games trying to generate any offense

Something something, sample size.

2.6 goals per game
Caps scored 2.57 goals per game against the Pens in their series.
Sens scored 1.86 goals per game against the Pens in their series.
Preds scored 2.17 goals per game against the Pens in their series.

So, we scored the most goals per game against the Stanley Cup champions in the playoffs.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Then, it was poor planning. You take Anderson off the table if you buy out Hartnell before the ED. You have fewer players you want to protect in a side deal, which means you don't pay as much of a premium.
They wanted Clarkson gone along with protecting 2 players... they pay the same whether Anderson was safe or not. And they made the deal in March not really to protect player x but to say take one of these 2 plus take Clarkson and we give you a first and 2nd.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Your not getting it , the premium was moving Clarksons salary . We had too many players to protect . So 1 less player made no difference . They wanted to keep Korpi , because they think he's the future . Then u had Murray or Johnson, one was gone . They couldn't afford to Murray go , he would be easy to package in getting offense . Then u have Anderson . No way u can let him walk . With size speed and hands he has

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Let's pump the brakes on the $14m. That figure is incorrect. One of PLD/Schroeder/Motte will make the roster, right? PLD for sure. So that's ignoring his cap hit.

That's also ignoring what it will cost to re-sign Anderson and Wennberg.

So the amount to "bring in new talent" will be much less.

I ultimately think they will have around 6.5 million left to spend.

Capfriendly shows 12.7 left to spend but they also show Milano (863,333), Hannikainen (675,000) and Schroeder (650,000) on the roster for 11 forwards.

Motte (925,000), PLD (894,166) and the unsigned Anderson/Wennberg probably leave somewhere in the ballpark of 7 million under the cap. Replace Milano with PLD and it is relatively a wash, remove Hannikainen and add Motte, that drops available space 300k, Just guess Wennberg gets 4.5 and Anderson gets 1.5 that seems to leave right about 6.5 million in cap space for 13 forwards, 8 D, and 2 G on the roster. That is if all 3 of PLD/Schroeder/Motte are on the roster and assuming Milano and Hannikainen are not.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Your not getting it , the premium was moving Clarksons salary . We had too many players to protect . So 1 less player made no difference . They wanted to keep Korpi , because they think he's the future . Then u had Murray or Johnson, one was gone . They couldn't afford to Murray go , he would be easy to package in getting offense . Then u have Anderson . No way u can let him walk . With size speed and hands he has

The 1st + Clarkson nearly offset - I get that and I'm fine with it. The Islanders did the same with Grabovski.

They essentially paid a 2nd (plus whatever partial value of the 1st that we didn't pay them to take Clarkson) to protect Anderson, Johnson, and Korpisalo. That 2nd rounder perhaps could be a 3rd or 4th rounder, or even a B or C prospect, to only protect Johnson and Korpisalo.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The 1st + Clarkson nearly offset - I get that and I'm fine with it. The Islanders did the same with Grabovski.

They essentially paid a 2nd (plus whatever partial value of the 1st that we didn't pay them to take Clarkson) to protect Anderson, Johnson, and Korpisalo. That 2nd rounder perhaps could be a 3rd or 4th rounder, or even a B or C prospect, to only protect Johnson and Korpisalo.

You were ok with losing Murray for nothing ?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Anderson was never on the table because of the deal. And if the deal was done in March do you suppose they should have asked Hartnell about getting bought out and waiving during the season when they are preparing for the playoffs? That's not a locker room distraction at all.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
How'd we do in the playoffs? Seems like it was almost painful in most of the games trying to generate any offense

very true

The Jackets and Jarmo are going all in, remains to be seen if it works out, but they are being aggressive....so at least give them credit for that

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
By my calculations we have $14 million to resign Wennberg & Anderson, and add 2 more F's.

If you assume Wennberg & Andy get bridged for at most 6 mill together, that leaves 8 mill to add the other 2 forwards.

It also leaves 17 million free for next season to re-sign Jenner,Murray, pay the 2 F's we add this year and a D to replace Johnson if you assume Johnson is gone and the 6 mill combo happens.

I don't see any real cap issues for the next 2 seasons. two years down the road things will require some creativity but as I have posted elsewhere I think doable.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Now that the worst kept secret has been revealed, things really get interesting. Hartnell is a good guy, but the game is starting to pass him by. I think that Murray and Calvert may be next. Those two add another 5M in cap space. If they decide to trade for Duchene (as an example), Murray, Calvert, Milano, 1st in '18 may be the deal. Not advocating for that, but that deal almost pays for itself and leaves plenty of room for other moves.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This trade might truly signal the Jackets push for the cup in the next two seasons.

One thing is for sure, whatever they do next will really let us know if we're making a push or not. Like others, I foresee a pretty big deal coming.

Or they want to lock up Anderson and Wennberg long term.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
I think it's possible Calvert or Murray is next as well.

With the talent that seems to be on the horizon, I don't see Calvert having as much as a role as he does now.

The dude plays hard and with an edge, and he'd almost be a Hartnell type player- except he doesn't have Hartnell's vast veteran experience. Which, I think, is the biggest loss with Hartnell.

Hartnell:
He was good in getting in the dirty areas either in front of net or on the boards, and did well in those battles. He also had a good sense of where not only he should be but where his teammates were. He could fit in on almost any line, but was great as an anchor for the younger players. I guess he was good for the locker room, too.

And he had a healthy dislike for the Penguins.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Now that the worst kept secret has been revealed, things really get interesting. Hartnell is a good guy, but the game is starting to pass him by. I think that Murray and Calvert may be next. Those two add another 5M in cap space. If they decide to trade for Duchene (as an example), Murray, Calvert, Milano, 1st in '18 may be the deal. Not advocating for that, but that deal almost pays for itself and leaves plenty of room for other moves.

Front office has done a remarkable job in reshaping this roster , fixing cap issues , and a move like above instantly makes us a cup contender , and also fits the long term vision they have . You know it will kill Jarmo to give up a 1st , 2 years in a row though :laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
By my calculations we have $14 million to resign Wennberg & Anderson, and add 2 more F's.

If you assume Wennberg & Andy get bridged for at most 6 mill together, that leaves 8 mill to add the other 2 forwards.

It also leaves 17 million free for next season to re-sign Jenner,Murray, pay the 2 F's we add this year and a D to replace Johnson if you assume Johnson is gone and the 6 mill combo happens.

I don't see any real cap issues for the next 2 seasons. two years down the road things will require some creativity but as I have posted elsewhere I think doable.

Cup contending teams are always moving non essential players. Luckily we don't have annnnnnyyyone but Bob on a big contract, so that helps. And hopefully we get Zach and Wennberg on Jonesy type deals. But I could see someone like Dubinsky or Foligno getting shipped off when things start to get tight (if Wennberg, PLD and others continue to develop)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Columbus made a move and people are complaining. What a surprise. You would think we are the worst team in the NHL.

Buying him out before the expansion draft didn't matter, because we made our trade with Las Vegas so they wouldn't take multiple players. Not just one player. Also, things change all the time. We didn't know we would have Panarin a couple of weeks ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad