Confirmed with Link: Hartnell Bought Out

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well he is making CBJ money still to move to the team he started with who had their best year ever and has a chance to win.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I posted during the disaster in Boston what a mistake it was to let Hartnell go

Our youth and in-experience are shining bright, with Dubinsky out and not living up to his 5.8
million dollar contract, and Captain Foligno at 5.5 who should be at 1.5 with his performance

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy I know, but I'm not getting paid

Jarmo and JD are getting a healthy paycheck to run this team, and they f***ed this up big time.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Please, this team youth is doing good, it's those f***ing leaders, veterans and loyal guys who are shit-show, and you wanted to keep another one. If this team is missing anyone who they lost offseason it's Bill.

Reactions: Jovavic

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Why is this thread getting bumped?

This team wouldn’t be any better than they currently are with Hartnell on the sqaud.

Lock this thread please @mods

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Jackets are on the hook for a $3 million cap hit for Hartnell's buyout next season.

Scott Hartnell - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Given the room the Jackets have under the cap this season, I don't know if buying him out after last season made much sense. A two year hit of $1.0 million (I think that's the number had they bought him out after this season) may have been a better approach.

Tyutin's buyout has almost a $1.5 million hit next season. Total hit $4.5 million on buyouts. Obligations on Boll's buyout expire after the current season.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think buying out Hartnell the player made sense. He wasn't playing much, and he wasn't a good skater. However, the thing I think this team misses is his leadership.This isn't a shot at Foligno or Dubinsky or whoever else you want to say is in the leadership group. But I think this team lacks leaders.

Our FO has many strong areas, mostly in amateur and player scouting, however I do think a big weakness with both JK and JD is scouting and overall assessing their own roster. Letting go of key vets like MacKenzie, Letestu, and Hartnell among others hurt the team. Yeah, you can't overpay on 4th liners and old guys, but they were more than willing to throw cash at Dalton Prout and Jared Boll, two guys who are on their way to being out of the league. They continue to say the room has to sustain itself, and I agree, but they lose alot of voices and character in that room just by mentioning those 3 players they let walk. They say they need to rely on the younger players to lead too, which is fine, but I would prefer if the younger players SHOW they can lead rather than relying on them to step into others shoes once they depart.

People in the media like to say Jenner and Werenski are big players in the room, and maybe they are, I just don't see leadership from them on the ice. I know Jenner and Murray have been captains before in their junior days, and Jenner can often times make a difference with the physical play he brings SOMETIMES,but I don't think its there consistently enough.

Obviously, we will never know how much players mean in the room because we're not in the room. But this is just my thoughts on vets.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think this leadership thing is horse puckey. The same leaders , sans Hartnell, are here that were here last year. Getting rid of Hartnell was a good move, the bad part is the cap savings weren't used to add a top 6 C. I assume Jarmo tried but it takes two so it didn't work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad