Proposal: Hamonic/Hamilton type deal for the Leafs (1st/2nd/2nd)

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
What would it take?

Probably Liljegren + some depth piece. I personally wouldn't want to consider something around Rasanen/Brooks/I forget who else.

I thought a 1st+2nd+2nd kind of was a pretty good payment for Petry...

It is, until those picks end up being something like 25/55 and take forever to develop. I'd rather have a really good prospect (that has already seen some promising development) + pick.

You're looking to boost your D now and Liljegren might take 2-3 years before he makes an impact (if he does).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Probably Liljegren + some depth piece. I personally wouldn't want to consider something around Rasanen/Brooks/I forget who else.

It is, until those picks end up being something like 25/55 and take forever to develop. I'd rather have a really good prospect (that has already seen some promising development) + pick.

You're looking to boost your D now and Liljegren might take 2-3 years before he makes an impact (if he does).
I respect that, but Liljegren is off limits. After watching him last year, he's not 3 years away.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My opinion; The Leafs should be playoff bound, without making any further changes. Let the current players, and prospects grow this year, and see what we have. Zaitsev should rebound, we don't know what we have with Ozihganov, Carrick in limited usage, had great stats in the past, and we have to see how Liljegren develops over the year..... It's possible that we already have our answers. It might be best to keep the picks, so that we have a pipeline of ELC cost controlled type players, when our non-core need payment increases, that we can't afford.

Situations might change for other teams as the year goes by as well... maybe a Tanev becomes more available. Maybe Pesce does.....

At this point, the prices on players that might be marginally available, isn't going to drop. If such deals haven't been done by now... let's just drop the puck, and see what we've got.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I respect that, but Liljegren is off limits. After watching him last year, he's not 3 years away.

In that case you're best bet is for Liljegren to become that guy. I don't see a lot of teams jumping at a late 20s pick as the main piece coming back. Top 4 RHD is one of the scarcest commodities in the league.

Reactions: Snowman

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Nice try...but this is a "no Tanev" zone....that's been beaten to death.

Although you aleady know that which is why you posted it.

Which other top 4 RHD would be available at that price?

I thought a 1st+2nd+2nd kind of was a pretty good payment for Petry...

Value wise, yes! But I don’t think Bergevin wants to tear it all down and I also think Petry could be a good mentor for Mete/Juulsen.

It’s always fun to have draft picks but sometimes guys like Petry brings more in the long term (mentoring, coaching, advices on how to be a pro), than the draft picks are worth

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not a lot so far ...... Stone & Gudas?

Not surprisingly, this seems to be another data point about the market for defenders = high demand & low supply.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hell I’d do it for a 5th

We paid a 3rd and a conditional 5th for Stone. At the time, there was belief that the Yotes could get up to a late first for Stone. The condition for the 5th was he re-signs in Calgary which we paid to Arizona. Honestly, I think the only reason we got that deal was because Stone's wife lives in Calgary and Chayka was doing him a solid, plus Chayka was possibly trying to smooth things over after Burke openly became angry about some GM spreading rumors about Dougie.

Sending him off for a 5th is giving Toronto a discount on Stone. Stone might not be the best option in a top 4, but he sure as hell isn't the worst option in the top 4. He played on the top pairing with OEL in Arizona and wasn't out of place on the second pairing in Calgary. He played on the 3rd line in Calgary because Gully wanted to spread the talent and preferred LHLD and RHRD pairings but did well on the second pairing with Hamonic when Brodie was injured. IMO, if TO acquired Stone, next season, they'd move another roster player for the necessary cap space, not Stone. I agree with others that he's a good player, but likely miscast in Gully's system.

I get that some of our fans want to move him for cap space, but Stone is not a cap dump. I think we should at least target what we paid for him (3rd + 5th) if we trade him. I think TO fans are ok with the idea of a conditional 2nd. I'd go with that.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We paid a 3rd and a conditional 5th for Stone. At the time, there was belief that the Yotes could get up to a late first for Stone. The condition for the 5th was he re-signs in Calgary which we paid to Arizona. Honestly, I think the only reason we got that deal was because Stone's wife lives in Calgary and Chayka was doing him a solid, plus Chayka was possibly trying to smooth things over after Burke openly became angry about some GM spreading rumors about Dougie.

Sending him off for a 5th is giving Toronto a discount on Stone. Stone might not be the best option in a top 4, but he sure as hell isn't the worst option in the top 4. He played on the top pairing with OEL in Arizona and wasn't out of place on the second pairing in Calgary. He played on the 3rd line in Calgary because Gully wanted to spread the talent and preferred LHLD and RHRD pairings but did well on the second pairing with Hamonic when Brodie was injured. IMO, if TO acquired Stone, next season, they'd move another roster player for the necessary cap space, not Stone. I agree with others that he's a good player, but likely miscast in Gully's system.

I get that some of our fans want to move him for cap space, but Stone is not a cap dump. I think we should at least target what we paid for him (3rd + 5th) if we trade him. I think TO fans are ok with the idea of a conditional 2nd. I'd go with that.

Stone is easily worth a 2nd.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure any fanbase will volunteer that type of defender, who has 3+ years of team control, for a late 1st and a couple 2nds. It will most likely be quality for quality or pound sand and that's fair.

If it happens, it will be because of an external factor that fans won’t have accounted for or underestimated. That makes it difficult to predict, imo.

VERY difficult to predict a trade like this, lots of external factors.

I think Dubas understands the Leafs will need a pipeline of cheap ELC talent to support their stars making big bucks.

I don't see him seeking out a deal that depletes our picks like this.

Prospects and picks are great but Leafs are realistically 1-2 defenseman from a Cup. I think we can open the wallet a bit.

I think that largely depends on who youd ask. I dont think it would be terribly much. His last year was rough, but i think hes just trying to figure out how to adjust for the 'if you hit someone anywhere close to high, youre getting a penalty' rules.

It'd be tough getting rid of our only 'veteran' RHD, but if Myers looks good in camp, Gudas moving should be explored, since well have MacD,Folin, and Hagg for the bottom pair.

2nd work?

Could the Flyers take back Carrick in the deal? Not that Carrick is bad but it just helps with salary balances so we don't get hit with overages. He has 1 year left at $1.3M

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just go get Justin Faulk, Don Waddell is the GM, Don Waddell, with the exception of the Savard, and Slava Kozlov trades He's lost every other major trade he's ever made, you can probably get Justin Faulk for next to nothing because Don Waddell is an awful GM

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I don’t know where you found that but lol. Like I said, Calgary has cheaper options that are just as good if not better than stone for third pairing RD. Cap dump in my mind I’d take what they could get

Jul 10, 2003
KW
My opinion; The Leafs should be playoff bound, without making any further changes. Let the current players, and prospects grow this year, and see what we have. Zaitsev should rebound, we don't know what we have with Ozihganov, Carrick in limited usage, had great stats in the past, and we have to see how Liljegren develops over the year..... It's possible that we already have our answers. It might be best to keep the picks, so that we have a pipeline of ELC cost controlled type players, when our non-core need payment increases, that we can't afford.

Situations might change for other teams as the year goes by as well... maybe a Tanev becomes more available. Maybe Pesce does.....

At this point, the prices on players that might be marginally available, isn't going to drop. If such deals haven't been done by now... let's just drop the puck, and see what we've got.

That does appear to be the master plan, and rightly so imho. If Dermott and Liljegren continue to develop, and Zaitsev has a rebound season, we could have a decent top 4 not too far down the road...and that's factoring in the departures of Gardiner and Hainsey.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Why do the king's need these pieces if they just re signed Doughty and Kopitar to 10m and 11m deals in the past year.
As a kings fan we could use the cap space and restock our prospects pool If they can get a young 2/3 winger and a bunch of picks I would be ok trading Muzzin The kings have alot of young defense man coming that should be able to replace him. Its a win win to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad