Proposal: Hamonic/Hamilton type deal for the Leafs (1st/2nd/2nd)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Leafs fan, i am wondering if there are any rebuilding teams, or any teams in general that would move a Dman for futures such as 1st+2nd+2nd/prospect. I would prefer a righty, but would take lefty that can play the right. There are only 2 hard conditions i have:
1. Player must be solid at D...not to concerned about age...
2. Liljegren can't be the prospect as it makes zero sense for a team that needs D to trade him.

Now, i don't want this to turn into a Van/Tor pissing contest over Tanev...who would fit in my opinion, so let's not go there. I also know how Leafs threads go, but this isn't me asking for Doughty/Subban etc. This is just a question to teams that may be looking for futures.

One guy i thought of was Petry out of Montreal....any others?

Reactions: Grabner

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
from a Leaf fan pov, I'd be fine adding Sandin to a deal. He looks like a good prospect, but we're deep enough in LHD to put him on the table imo. I don't think he gets any more value than a late 1st given that he hasn't done anything since being drafted there

agree on Liljegren, keep him unless it's for a young RHD who can be a top pairing guy

Reactions: Grabner

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
from a Leaf fan pov, I'd be fine adding Sandin to a deal. He looks like a good prospect, but we're deep enough in LHD to put him on the table imo. I don't think he gets any more value than a late 1st given that he hasn't done anything since being drafted there

agree on Liljegren, keep him unless it's for a young RHD who can be a top pairing guy
Alright, i concur....edited the OP to include only Lil in the no fly zone.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not sure any fanbase will volunteer that type of defender, who has 3+ years of team control, for a late 1st and a couple 2nds. It will most likely be quality for quality or pound sand and that's fair.

If it happens, it will be because of an external factor that fans won’t have accounted for or underestimated. That makes it difficult to predict, imo.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not sure any fanbase will volunteer that type of defender, who has 3+ years of team control, for a late 1st and a couple 2nds. It will most likely be quality for quality or pound sand and that's fair.

If it happens, it will be because of an external factor that fans won’t have accounted for or underestimated. That makes it difficult to predict, imo.
I won't argue, it's why i didn't make any demands on age/contract.

Reactions: iSophagus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Part of the problem here for the leafs is that the Hamilton and Hamonic trades didn't just happen wily nilly. The teams had to trade those players - Hamonic needed to live near Western Canada for family reasons and Hamilton because of locker-room disharmony. Rarely do even rebuilding teams just voluntarily trade away top 4 d for futures. So I think it is more about waiting patiently for the right opportunity.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think Dubas understands the Leafs will need a pipeline of cheap ELC talent to support their stars making big bucks.

I don't see him seeking out a deal that depletes our picks like this.
The problem is that Lil may still be a year away, and Sandin is a long way off...the Leafs do need an upgrade. My thinking was this deal would be better than trading a key piece of the core.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Part of the problem here for the leafs is that the Hamilton and Hamonic trades didn't just happen wily nilly. The teams had to trade those players - Hamonic needed to live near Western Canada for family reasons and Hamilton because of locker-room disharmony. Rarely do even rebuilding teams just voluntarily trade away top 4 d for futures. So I think it is more about waiting patiently for the right opportunity.
This was the purpose of not being specific about targets...maybe there are players that are available for "reasons", sometimes fans of specific teams have info we don't have.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
rebuilding teams cashing in currently contributing assets that are unlikely to contribute at the same level when the team emerges from a rebuild is also a common motivation, like get something rather than let that player wither on the vine

Montreal and Vancouver are both in that situation which is why Petry and Tanev get brought up. I suspect that this thread really won't identify any new candidates, but that more will come available closer to the TDL when teams that expected to be competing for the playoffs fall short

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
This was the purpose of not being specific about targets...maybe there are players that are available for "reasons", sometimes fans of specific teams have info we don't have.
In that case - are you at all interested in Johnny Boychuk ;P

but seriously, there are probably guys out there to be had. I remember the islanders got Wisniewski for a 3rd one time. Closer to the start of the season a team might decide they don't need/want a certain player and boom, the leafs pounce

CDH would have been a great fit for you guys

Reactions: iSophagus

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Just out of curiosity - and obviously not for the price you listed in the OP - Would Gudas fit as a top 4 RHD(last year was a bad year, admittedly. Generally hes much better, and has good udnerlying statistical numbers) be of any interest?
What's the ask? From what i've seen of Gudas (other than a rough year) he's got a nice mean streak.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
In that case - are you at all interested in Johnny Boychuk ;P

but seriously, there are probably guys out there to be had. I remember the islanders got Wisniewski for a 3rd one time. Closer to the start of the season a team might decide they don't need/want a certain player and boom, the leafs pounce

CDH would have been a great fit for you guys
Yup, was hoping we'd sign him....

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
OP didn't specify top 4 but I'm assuming that is the target.

Of course you may find a number five for lesser assets.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Those Dmen aren't available like at a store. Both Hamonic and Hamilton basically demanded trades out of town. The only Dman like that now is Karlsson, that I'm aware of. Maybe Trouba. However, just like how Hamonic had personal reasons for going to western Canada, it seems if Trouba wants out it would be to the eastern seaboard USA.

We don't have indication that Petry wants out of Montreal do we? I also doubt that Montreal is eager to rebuild, and if they are they'll need Petry to stick around to help the rebuild. Weber could potentially be available though. Not only does he lack any sort of NTC, but he's old enough that if Montreal were to rebuild, Weber probably would be a bit too old to be around at the end.

But still, I don't think Montreal will rebuild.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What's the ask? From what i've seen of Gudas (other than a rough year) he's got a nice mean streak.

I think that largely depends on who youd ask. I dont think it would be terribly much. His last year was rough, but i think hes just trying to figure out how to adjust for the 'if you hit someone anywhere close to high, youre getting a penalty' rules.

It'd be tough getting rid of our only 'veteran' RHD, but if Myers looks good in camp, Gudas moving should be explored, since well have MacD,Folin, and Hagg for the bottom pair.

2nd work?

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think that largely depends on who youd ask. I dont think it would be terribly much. His last year was rough, but i think hes just trying to figure out how to adjust for the 'if you hit someone anywhere close to high, youre getting a penalty' rules.

It'd be tough getting rid of our only 'veteran' RHD, but if Myers looks good in camp, Gudas moving should be explored, since well have MacD,Folin, and Hagg for the bottom pair.

2nd work?
Yup, that seems reasonable.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Honest question, can he handle top 4 minutes if need be?

He looked fantastic with Brodie for 20 games two years ago. Otherwise you'd have to ask Arizona fans. I never worried about 3rd pairing match ups last year even with him being with a rookie in Kulak. So again, whatever that means.

He's a simple but effective player. Clears the net, pins guys against the boards very well, and doesn't make mistakes. Has an absolute canon of a shot that I don't think Calgary took advantage of enough.

I have no problem with him staying on the Flames but the greedy side of me wants to give Andersson a spot, opens up some cap space, and a 2nd/3rd is helpful with all the picks we've lost in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad