Proposal: Hamonic/Hamilton type deal for the Leafs (1st/2nd/2nd)

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I think that largely depends on who youd ask. I dont think it would be terribly much. His last year was rough, but i think hes just trying to figure out how to adjust for the 'if you hit someone anywhere close to high, youre getting a penalty' rules.

It'd be tough getting rid of our only 'veteran' RHD, but if Myers looks good in camp, Gudas moving should be explored, since well have MacD,Folin, and Hagg for the bottom pair.

2nd work?

I like it. 2nd for Gudas (we can add a 4th or Depth aswell if needed)

Rielly - Gudas
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He looked fantastic with Brodie for 20 games two years ago. Otherwise you'd have to ask Arizona fans. I never worried about 3rd pairing match ups last year even with him being with a rookie in Kulak. So again, whatever that means.

He's a simple but effective player. Clears the net, pins guys against the boards very well, and doesn't make mistakes. Has an absolute canon of a shot that I don't think Calgary took advantage of enough.

I have no problem with him staying on the Flames but the greedy side of me wants to give Andersson a spot, opens up some cap space, and a 2nd/3rd is helpful with all the picks we've lost in recent years.
I mean, for a 2nd...i'd consider it....

Reactions: iSophagus

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean, for a 2nd...i'd consider it....

Ya he's veteran RD that no one will ever complain about.

Calgary needs to find a Gio replacement asap so we need to give the young guys a shot. Andersson, Hanifin, or Valimaki. We need one of those guys to be a two way top pairing guy within 2 or 3 years before Gio ages too much.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I like it. 2nd for Gudas (we can add a 4th or Depth aswell if needed)

Rielly - Gudas
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Gudas is solid, but I'm not sure he's the right target for top pairing minutes. On the 2nd or 3rd pairing he'd be great, but any higher, and you'd run into similar issues as Hainsey, where there are times where he looks good there, and then suddenly he doesn't.

I'd personally run with;

Rielly - Gardiner/Dermott
Dermott/Gardiner - Gudas
Hainsey - Zaitsev

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
As a Leafs fan, i am wondering if there are any rebuilding teams, or any teams in general that would move a Dman for futures such as 1st+2nd+2nd/prospect. I would prefer a righty, but would take lefty that can play the right. There are only 2 hard conditions i have:
1. Player must be solid at D...not to concerned about age...
2. Liljegren can't be the prospect as it makes zero sense for a team that needs D to trade him.

Now, i don't want this to turn into a Van/Tor pissing contest over Tanev...who would fit in my opinion, so let's not go there. I also know how Leafs threads go, but this isn't me asking for Doughty/Subban etc. This is just a question to teams that may be looking for futures.

One guy i thought of was Petry out of Montreal....any others?
Hamonic is horrible, the Leafs can get him for 2, 2nd's easy. The Flames way overpaid for the guy, last two years he has barely been a NHL'er.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Gudas is solid, but I'm not sure he's the right target for top pairing minutes. On the 2nd or 3rd pairing he'd be great, but any higher, and you'd run into similar issues as Hainsey, where there are times where he looks good there, and then suddenly he doesn't.

I'd personally run with;

Dermott/Gardiner - Gudas
Hainsey - Zaitsev

I know Philly's defense isn't a great place to judge, but Gudas played top 4 and partially top 2 minutes with us the season before last, and didnt look out of place at all, when paired with a competent partner. He's not a top pair man at all, but he wouldnt look out of place there with Rielly, if you get the Gudas from the previous year and not this year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hamonic is horrible, the Leafs can get him for 2, 2nd's easy. The Flames way overpaid for the guy, last two years he has barely been a NHL'er.
A. I wasn't suggesting Hamonic...just a deal like his (1st+2nd+2nd)
B. Why would Calgary do the bolded? That's terrible.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I'd personally run with;

Dermott/Gardiner - Gudas
Hainsey - Zaitsev
I agree, i wouldn't put Gudas on the top pair....but would have no issue with him on the 2nd pair.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
A. I wasn't suggesting Hamonic...just a deal like his (1st+2nd+2nd)
B. Why would Calgary do the bolded? That's terrible.
Because Hamonic is terrible and a liability? They overpaid for him and should try to recoop on him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Because Hamonic is terrible and a liability? They overpaid for him and should try to recoop on him.

Sure he's no Nikita Zaitsev but a liability he was not. Last year that was his partner TJ Brodie.

If you're after a cheap and solid bottom 4 RHD I still think Micheal Stone could be a fit. Kind of doubt there's a top pairing guy out there for a couple early round picks but you never know. Tanev still makes too much sense but I'd be calling Vegas and inquiring on some of their young blueline.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Michael Stone could be had for cheap if you can fit him under your cap.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd pay a 2nd for Gudas without even thinking twice. I wouldn't expect top pairing minutes out of him, but a right side of Zaitsev-Gudas-Hainsey (in no order) isn't brilliant, but it's not bad either.

I'd be very interested in Petry, I think he'd be a great solution.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Develop our dmen for the first 60 games.

Re-evaluate at the deadline.

It makes no sense to give up valuable picks/prospects right now.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I agree, i wouldn't put Gudas on the top pair....but would have no issue with him on the 2nd pair.

I really like this thread, and were getting some quasi-top4 D options.

But so far the best names are Gudas and Stone, and both guys are signed for 2 more seasons. The Leafs will have a pretty hefty cap crunch in the 2019-20 season, and having Gudas at 3.3M or Stone at 3.5M might be more than Toronto can afford.

It's not a deal breaker, but it's a concern.

Reactions: Liferleafer

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Petry would have been so perfect though. Always liked him as a Hab. He was probably just as good with the Oilers, but for some reason I re-evaluated him when he came over to you guys.

For all the hate MB gets, getting Petry for a 2nd (and a 5th?) was a steal.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
You can have Michael Stone. Hamonic isn't available.
The premise is for a player who can strengthen a contending team's top 4.
Unfortunately, Stone is not that but for the sake of argument, I'd offer a 3rd for him. Nevermind, I didn't realize he made 3.5mil.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad