Hamilton Bulldogs 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Another very strong game for Marco in net. I've been really impressed with how he has played as a rookie in the OHL. Big shootout win helps soften the tough loss in Niagara.

They needed it because it will be tough to repeat it today. They have played Oshawa tough in both games this year though.
Yeah he’s played very well. In his postgame interview, he said he’d rather overtime games go to a shootout because that’s where he’s most comfortable.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Yep, another strong game by Marco until he let a softy in for the 4th goal. He held them in for the most part. Jenik dominated this game.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Unfortunately, I think if Costantini started, the game would have been much different. He’s a solid goalie. But I get having to rest him and giving Drobac starts. Unlike Drobac’s first start, he knew he was starting last night.

Overall, I’m still on the fence about Drobac. However he’s only 16 young with 2 OHL games under his belt. From what I noticed yesterday though, he often over-commits when he glides from side to side. One of the 67s’ goals showed a prime example, when he over-slide to one side and a 67s player on the other side of the net got the puck and put it in a wide open net. I’m sure this could be corrected but it will take time.

I’m curious what kept Landry out. He took part in the warmups.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
My friend was sitting with Costintinis grandfather. He said that he had a minor injury or else he would have played. I agree about Drobac. He gets caught deep in his net a lot. Most of that is confidence and that's hard to have at 16. I think that Marco is an excellent positional goalie.

I'm curious about Landry as well. He left the bench right at the end of the national anthem. I thought maybe it was an equipment problem, but then he didn't return.

Overall it was not one of Hamiltons better games. Too many turnovers in their own end. Although he sometimes turns it over because he gets a bit too fancy, Jenik is dominating right now.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
It was a solid game last night. The puck was mostly in North Bay's end but they played well when it came into Hamilton's end too. Jenik had a heck of a game. Aside from the points he put up, he drew a few penalties too. The opening goal (assisted by Gravelle) was a 2 on 0 with a defender following close behind. Jenik rushed the puck, fake a pass to Kaliyev and then put it in the net. This season it seems to frequent that players want to set-up a nice play and be unselfish, when in reality, the play gets messed and no shot on goal happens. With the 2 on 0, Jenik certainly had time and space to pass but he made a great play with his goal. It was refreshing to see a player just shoot it when they had a glaring opportunity

Bulldogs are in Soo tonight. I'd imagine Costantini gets the start in net since Roy just returned from injury.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Jenik is absolutely dominating games. Sometimes he tries to be too fancy, but he's a man playing with boys right now.

As he vaults up the scoring list I'm becoming concerned that Arizona calls him up at some point.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Really? Never knew that.

I guess my next concern is that he is traded then.lol It might be what is best for the team though.
Yeah once players are sent back to junior, they have to stay for the rest of the season. I believe the only exception is for goalies who get an emergency call up like Dylan Ferguson of the Kamloops Blazers got a callup by Vegas (and started a game!) when they had so many goalies out a couple ago.

Reactions: Rounder8

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
Holy crap your coach lost it last night... Mad about the no-call on staois hounds score then he get throw out (the coach) picks the chair the toy was sitting on it and threw it down the hall

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
been seeing people on the boards and now our thread criticizing Vince Laise and the decisions he makes, so I guess it's time to ask you guys... what do you think of Vince Laise and his coaching strategies?

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm torn about Vince. He overplays our best players big time, but he does it because really we're a one line team for the most part.

Our PP zone entry drives me crazy and our dzone coverage isn't good. Bad coverage isn't rare with young players though.

I would like to see a guy like Humphrey get more icetime. I see flashes of offensive brilliance in his game. I would like to see a guy like him get some shifts with our higher end guys to see if he can do more with the extra space guys like Jenik and Kaliyev would create for him. If not Humphrey, then maybe Hayes (he's a RW so that isn't an option).

I've noticed the past few games that he is trying to separate Kaliyev and Jenik more often to try to create more than one consistent line.

On a side note I really like the way that Logan Morrisons game is progressing. His skating needs work, but his 200ft game is rock solid and he always seems to be in the right spot. He has a sneaky good shot too. The fact that he is wearing an A tells me that they're grooming him to be captain one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helvigster

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Crazy game so far today in Sudbury.

According to the OHL website, the Bulldogs scored goals 3 seconds apart! That has to be a record?

Hat tricks for Avery Hayes and Tag Bertuzzi and 8 second period goals for Hamilton.

With all of that, it's still a 9-7 game early in the 3rd period.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Sudbury ties it 10-10 with 12 seconds left and Bertuzzi wins it with 7 seconds left in OT. Bertuzzi with his 4th goal of the game. Haven't seen it, but the announcers say it was incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad