Hamilton Bulldogs 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Blade Jenkins on Kade Landry. He was screaming about that no-call and the ref on the ice T'd him up and then after the whistle tossed him

I know the hit your referring to, but like I said live it didn't appear to be a head shot at all. To the point, even the Hamilton fans sitting around me (the booster club was in town) wondered what the heck he kept going on about.

He was clearly in a mood, the entire first period he was yelling at his guys on the bench. Loud enough yelling I could hear him across the rink half way up in an almost sold out crowd. Example, he paced up and down the bench yelling CHANGE every line change. Guy looked unhinged. Then he calmed down in the 2nd and boom T'd up from the refs and more yelling.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I thought the hit on Landry was clean. I have season tickets not far from the Hamilton bench and the guy just never shuts up with the refs.

He has put his team shorthanded several times this year.

Reactions: Quack

BackUPgoalieANGER

Oct 20, 2019
A few months ago , I posted about how much of an idiot your coach is for the amount of yelling he does during the game , look what it cost him today

Reactions: Quack

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
The biggest problem that I had with him is that he overplays his top 2 lines so much.

At the end of the game they have nothing left to give. This team is going nowhere this year anyways, so why not let your young guys play in late game situations more. That way in a year or two when they want to contend their core have been there before and hopefully learned from their mistakes.

vince

Dec 6, 2017
Vince was an assistant coach back then. John Gruden was the head coach (now assistant with NY Islanders)

he should have never been the head coach from day one. You have to choose someone that can maximize player abilities.
Also scouting department and management must do better at the draft with a shift of focus from smaller players with hope and potential to players with more certainty and having greater combination of size, speed, strength, and skill. That philosophy will also help change the everyday hockey style played each game in the future from semi-passive to aggressive.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I didn’t mind the promotion of Laise to head coach. His strength is offence including power play. For being as young as he is, his resume is impressive by having been in charge of the offence and PP in Erie and having coached guys like McDavid, D.Strome, DeBrincat, and Taylor Raddysh. Then within a year of coming to Hamilton, he had the same position and helped Hamilton win the OHL. Meanwhile, Gruden stronger asssst was defence. Even last season despite being 8th in the east, we had the 4th best power play in the league. Where he needs to improve is defence, and even Staios talked about that a year ago. Last season Matsos was named head coach, and Staios specifically made Laise in charge of D for a while to get some blue line coaching experience under in belt so that he could eventually become a well-rounded head coach in his career (could still happen). Fast forward through the season, Laise switched back to his usual role (offence), Matsos had some health problems, and Laise was named interim head coach. Over the summer Matsos decided to take a back to associate head coach like he was during the championship, and Laise was kept as head coach (hard to demote him when they were grooming him to be head coach eventually).

I think coaching defence is still where Laise needs more experience. But I don’t doubt his coaching skills for offence for a second. I’m sure he will do well in his coaching career.

Why Laise was fired is unknown. I’m not going to speculate, and we don’t even know if it was performance based or something else. I did find the timing surprising with 8 games remaining while sitting in 7th place. What I did like from my observations was how he handled players on the bench. He often communicated and give feedback to players between shifts, and motivated the team these are the very opposite to the George Burnett days in Hamilton). When timeouts were called, he had a plan. Sure, he loses his cool at times, but most people in sport do. Gruden was a rarer bread and there’s a bunch of reasons why he found a bigger gig quickly.

In terms of drafting, I find it hard to knock, and actually believe it’s one of the Bulldogs’ strong suits. They’re one of the youngest teams in the league and the comfort level and development with the young guys is very noticeable. Of the small guys, Diaco (5’7”) and Hayes (5’9”) are the smallest players, and they both show a lot of skill and upside. Another thing to remember is that by being one of the youngest teams, a lot of these guys will still grow with age.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Interesting note from today’s game: Andrew Campbell (recent retiree from AHL - mostly Toronto Marlies) has been on the Bulldogs’ bench with the defence this afternoon.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Interesting note from today’s game: Andrew Campbell (recent retiree from AHL - mostly Toronto Marlies) has been on the Bulldogs’ bench with the defence this afternoon.

Yep, I noticed that too. They were trying all kinds of different defence pairings as well. They even had Staios playing on his off side with Landry at one point.

They need to do something. It isn't all of the D. We turn the puck over in the neutral zone WAY too often, which really puts your D in a bad position. Goaltending hasn't been great lately either. Felt bad for Marco the past few games, having to stay in for all of the goals against.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Bulldogs have a clinched a playoff spot.

Will be an interesting first round if its vs the Petes.

Was looking at the standings and remaining schedule...I think there's a really good shot that its Wolves v Bulldogs, which is interesting since we still have 2 reg season games left vs each other. That typically adds to playoff tension and could make for very chippy playoff series

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Was looking at the standings and remaining schedule...I think there's a really good shot that its Wolves v Bulldogs, which is interesting since we still have 2 reg season games left vs each other. That typically adds to playoff tension and could make for very chippy playoff series

It might also work out for me to get Sudbury done on my OHL tour, as opposed to hoping North Bay/Sudbury have games vs Hamilton next fall. I don't suppose you know how the roads are up that way right now?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It might also work out for me to get Sudbury done on my OHL tour, as opposed to hoping North Bay/Sudbury have games vs Hamilton next fall. I don't suppose you know how the roads are up that way right now?

Roads are fine but we're susceptible to massive snowstorms through to the start of April, so check the weather.

Sudbury also has coronavirus now, so this is all of course assuming that the rest of the season still happens in some capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad