Hamilton Bulldogs 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Less than a month away from opening night.

As was stated in the last thread, Donofrio is working out with London. Not surprising as he just wasn't a fit in Hamilton any more so he was waived.

Reactions: Helvigster

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Bulldogs sent 2nd round picks in 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also traded a conditional 3rd and 5th in 2024.

I'm a big fan of the moves Staios has done for Hamilton but this one surprises me most. Leading up to the OHL draft, Steve and Nathon both said they didn't want to be on the same team because they didn't want the politics that comes with it. This move contradicts it. However, if the politics are kept to a minimum and Staios earns his ice-time, I'm cool with it.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Bulldogs sent 2nd round picks in 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also traded a conditional 3rd and 5th in 2024.

I'm a big fan of the moves Staios has done for Hamilton but this one surprises me most. Leading up to the OHL draft, Steve and Nathon both said they didn't want to be on the same team because they didn't want the politics that comes with it. This move contradicts it. However, if the politics are kept to a minimum and Staios earns his ice-time, I'm cool with it.

Aside from it being his son, that's a lot of 2nd round picks for a D-man.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Aside from it being his son, that's a lot of 2nd round picks for a D-man.
I think he will do well in Hamilton, former 1st Round pick with two seasons under his belt. 30 point season in Windsor....... but they certainly did “step up” to the plate to get him. I would say be better perform well!

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
While it doesn't appear nepotism is in any way involved in this trade both since the kid is putting up good numbers, Staios has a solid head on his shoulders and it doesn't make sense to have your kid play half his career away if this is a concern, I'm still not a fan of this because it creates unnecessary drama.

If the team hits a skid, every player on the team playing his position will question how many minutes he's getting vs they aren't getting, every armchair warrior is going to complain if he suddenly does poorly and everyone may now question the coach decision on anything pertaining to him. I wish the league actually had a policy against playing under family, including owners, GMs and coaches, not only for the reasons above but also to prevent situations like the ones in Flint and Belleville from happening and that we get owners who are invested in the game for the games sake, not just their family.

Reactions: digiblader

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don't get the deal to get N, Staios. A high price to pay for a small defence man who did not get a sniff in seven rounds of the NHL draft. This puts untold pressure on both father and son. I hope it works out because they have deep Hamilton roots.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
3x 2nd round picks for N.Staios is a very high price. Who knows the reasoning for the cost. We also don't know if S.Staios' reasoning was a business decision for the player, a personal/emotional decision for his son, or both. No GM would blatantly admit that they paid a high price in order to unite their own family. My guess is that it's a combination of both but that's just a guess. With that said, I'm not too concerned about Nathan going undrafted mainly because guys like Luff, Gleason, and Fulcher also went undrafted and were later signed as free agents. Even Saigeon still gets knocked for being an overage pick. The window is still open for N.Staios and going undrafted isn't a bad thing. Even being drafted isn't a guarantee as some drafted players regress or don't reach the compete level that a their draft team anticipated.

I don't know much about Nathan Staios (just basics) and had to do some reading and asking to learn a bit about him. Based on his smaller size and increased production last season from his rookie season, I wonder if he's expected to be a productive dman and puck-mover. Overall I'm optimistic about him being on the team and his offensive production. Based on his stats, and Hamilton's history with helping other dmen develop after acquiring them (Gleason, Walters, and hopefully Supryka based on last season's post-deadline performance compared to his Petes performance), I'm optimistic that Nathan Staios can go from being a #3/4 Bulldogs dman to pairing with Landry on the top line and eventually become the #1 or #2 dman (especially the main puck-mover) once Landry leaves at the end of the season, or if Landry traded at the trade deadline.

Overall I am really interested to see the D pairings since Hamilton has a ton of dmen in the organization. Staios will have more decisions to make regarding the D.

Reactions: Helvigster

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Do it already! Hamilton's been waiting for 5 years to get a new arena for the Bulldogs that will sustain the team long term there.

Only question--where's the money going to come from? The city of Hamilton is financially squeezed as is.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Do it already! Hamilton's been waiting for 5 years to get a new arena for the Bulldogs that will sustain the team long term there.

Only question--where's the money going to come from? The city of Hamilton is financially squeezed as is.
Just move from Belleville and get yourself on Hamilton city council It’s that simple.

Reactions: Rounder8

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Scott Radley's newest piece on the fight re: new arena for the Bulldogs:

Scott Radley: Arena debate can’t become another stadium or LRT fight

Let's just say--the city needs to stop dragging its feet and make a decision already--Michael Andlauer is not waiting forever.

I think Radley has the best characterisation of what should happen. What will happen is a different story. The way I see it, First Ontario is a money pit at this point. Maintaining it is a disservice to the taxpayer, doubly so if Andlauer decided to pack things up, when the cost of a new facility is a better financial option. The only way keeping First Ontario and upgrading it becomes viable is if someone in the private sector decided the front the entire cost of renovation on their own dime, which in my view, isn't financially viable for anyone.

It really strikes me as only two options to be had here. Go with Andlauer and the partnership he has with Limeridge, or say "We'd prefer a new facility downtown. What do you need Mr. Andlauer for that to work but still contribute money to it's building?" and then pursue relevant suitors in the private sector and weigh the costs. Frankly, I see little reason in building or maintaining the current facility without an anchor tenant.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I think Radley has the best characterisation of what should happen. What will happen is a different story. The way I see it, First Ontario is a money pit at this point. Maintaining it is a disservice to the taxpayer, doubly so if Andlauer decided to pack things up, when the cost of a new facility is a better financial option. The only way keeping First Ontario and upgrading it becomes viable is if someone in the private sector decided the front the entire cost of renovation on their own dime, which in my view, isn't financially viable for anyone.

It really strikes me as only two options to be had here. Go with Andlauer and the partnership he has with Limeridge, or say "We'd prefer a new facility downtown. What do you need Mr. Andlauer for that to work but still contribute money to it's building?" and then pursue relevant suitors in the private sector and weigh the costs. Frankly, I see little reason in building or maintaining the current facility without an anchor tenant.
I am afraid that some councillors will block anything not downtown and trade votes to get their way. As it is not their money they are interested only in staying in power by pandering to the local ward. The stupid location of the football field was a direct result of council vetoing the best options. We will hear how a precinct idea will work but no one has come up with $. There will be suggestions that parking will be tough at the mall because it is crowded on holidays. OHL shuts down over Christmas, there is a transportation hub right there, and downtown parking is no roaring heck and using the LRT will still mean people have to get to an LRT node. I would like to know where the majority of fans come from who go to the Bulldogs games and assess accessibility for them--and possible growth. Not sure some councillors interested in facts getting in the way of their opinions or their desire to pander for local ward votes.

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
For starters, I live in Downtown. Like, Downtown Downtown. It's a 10 minute walk from my home to FOC. An arena at Limeridge would not be beneficial for me but as long as the team has a permanent home in Hamilton, I don't care where the arena is

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm in Mount Hope. It's a 15 min drive currently. I would love a Limeridge arena obviously, but I'm also for whatever keeps them here long term. Also a 10,000 seat arena would be awesome.

I just want the Bulldogs here longterm and I believe that a new arena makes the most sense to accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad