Hamilton Bulldogs 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
This new arena for the Bulldogs at Lime Ridge is not bad idea but it is way to small at 6.000 for a city of 700.000 & for the rate the city is growing the population will be over a million in 10 years & from what herd on the news the city is not sold on the idea yet.

In my opinion I think the city wants ether a new arena that seats at least 15.000 kind of what they got in Winnipeg or a gut job reno at the FOC. to add luxury boxes & reduce the capacity of the arena say to 16.000 to 15.000.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
This new arena for the Bulldogs at Lime Ridge is not bad idea but it is way to small at 6.000 for a city of 700.000 & for the rate the city is growing the population will be over a million in 10 years & from what herd on the news the city is not sold on the idea yet.

In my opinion I think the city wants ether a new arena that seats at least 15.000 kind of what they got in Winnipeg or a gut job reno at the FOC. to add luxury boxes & reduce the capacity of the arena say to 16.000 to 15.000.

They aren't sold on the idea.

Why would they build an arena that big? Please tell me it isn't to get an NHL team because that isn't going to happen.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
They aren't sold on the idea.

Why would they build an arena that big? Please tell me it isn't to get an NHL team because that isn't going to happen.
It is just not about an NHL. team it is about other non sporting events like concerts , trade shows & other forms of world class A+ entertainment that require an arena at least 15.000 + seats & luxury boxes that Hamilton as been getting for years & .all you get with 6.000 seat arena are B+ & lower acts that where the scraps Toronto did not want that would be a downgrade for the city .

I can see a 6.000 seat arena somewhere like a Burlington , Oakville or Brantford that medium sized minor league cities Hamilton is a city of over 700.000 & in the next 10 years the city will be over a million that makes Hamilton a large major league city & not to mention Hamilton is bigger or the same population as some American cites that have 2 0r more major league sports teams .

Oh one last thing the reason the city is not sold on the idea of lime ridge mall arena is the city would not make any money on the arena the people that own lime ridge mall would make all the money & that is why the city would rather stay downtown & ether renovate FOC. or build a new arena that is around 15.000 kind of what they got in Winnipeg & correct me if I am wrong but the 15.000 MTS center host not only the NHL. but the AHL. & the WHL. why not Hamilton (southern ontario) after all southern Ontario is far bigger market than Manitoba & to lesser extent Saskatchwan combined . .

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

This is so absurd, I'm legit wondering if you are just trying to troll here.

We have a 17,000 seat arena and it's way too big and any arena needs a primary tenant. The Bulldogs have outright said, 10,000 is the max and they prefer 6,000. Copps was a white elephant because that NHL team never came to town and no other team is capable to filling the place on a regular basis.

So, given Quebec City has a brand new arena of that capacity, aren't in Toronto, Buffalo or Montreal's territory, there is zero chance of Hamilton ever getting an NHL team for that area. So long as the Videotron Centre stands, the NHL is not putting another team in Canada anywhere else but Quebec City.

So what other primary tenant can fill a 15,000 seat arena? The only other one apart from the NHL team would be an NBA team, and that's even more far fetched, given the presence of the Raptors and literally every other market in Canada being an option.

What reason, would the city as a whole, possibly want to build another arena that is far too large, doesn't meet the needs of frankly any possible primary tenant and would be another perpetual tax burden like First Ontario? More importantly, why on earth would you think an arena even larger then London, who are the most established team in the OHL would make sense for a team that has pretty much sat at 7th in attendance. I love the Bulldogs and I hope they grow, and I hope a new arena gets sold out, sure, but no team jumps from 4 to 10 thousand, even after a cup winning season, yet alone 15. It takes at least a decade to get there.

The Bulldogs know what meets their needs, and they are the only realistic primary tenant for Hamilton. That need is between 6-10, ideally on the smaller end of the scale.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
like I said before, if the city really wants the arena to be downtown, they should stop putting their money into the developing condos for people who don't even live here and putting it into cleaning up the area. Andlauer has put up a pretty reasonable offer imo but like others have said, city council will mess it up.

I'm just sad honestly. this situation could have been handled by CC sooooo much better. Andlauer is such a great guy and the city is gonna push him away for reasons unknown

I don't think this is quite a fair assessment here.

First off, Condos are getting sold here. Pretty much anyone who wants urban living but has been muscled out of Toronto is moving into them. Additionally, said Condos are cleaning the place up. The vacant, old federal building was redeveloped, the Tivoli lofts took another dead building and did something with it and hopefully the Connolly project gets off the ground (no thanks to council approving the initial demo based on a drawing on a napkin by a known fraudster).

Additionally, population density downtown is the only way to make it work. For a commercial area to work, you either need a lot of free parking and easy access, which the core doesn't have and never will or a high population density that can walk and bike to shops.

Anyways, pretty much unless the city suddenly produces concrete, private sector investment in a downtown arena, that makes it's costs far cheaper then Andlauer's, I see no reason to pursue it. We're too close to Toronto to be getting the monster big acts, still to the decent sized ones, which even a 5,000 seat can attract and expand when it's clear it will work for your primary tenant.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Scoreless after 1 in Mississauga.

Looks like Isaac Nurse is out of the lineup, but on the bright side Morrison is listed as playing. If so that's great news for him.

No TV, so I'm just going by the OHL app...

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Disastrous 2nd period. Bulldogs give up 4 goals to a Mississauga team looking for their first win.

With Oshawa coming to town tomorrow night, they could have really used a win tonight.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
First of all the Meridian Center is good for a community its size for hockey & B+ entertainment 2nd the lime ridge mall arena won't fly because it is to small & the city won't make any money off the arena the people who own Lime ridge mall will & I don't think the city is going to invest money into something that they not going to get back while Lime ridge puts up nothing & makes all the money .

Let me tell you this Hamilton is a big league major city that craves A+ sports & entertainment & won't get any of that with a small 6.000 seat arena all you will get is the scraps Toronto dose not want & the Bulldogs would be the only thing worth paying admission for that kind of arena .

That is why ether a reduced sized FOC. to 12..000- 15..000 plus luxury boxes or just a new12.000- 15.000 seat arena & it has to be in the downtown core because that is where you are going to make all the money one last thing it is working for Winnipeg has 15.000 seat arena that host the NHL. , AHL. & now the WHL. so you people trying to say Winnipeg & the rest of Manitoba are better than Hamilton (Southern Ontario) I think not .

Hamilton is better than a 6.000 - 10.000 We should have an arena around 12.000-15.000 with future renos in mind just in case the NHL. comes to town .

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Winnipeg isn't sandwiched in between Toronto and Buffalo. Hamilton is never getting an NHL team.

If they are going to make all of this money off of an arena in the downtown core, why isn't it happening now?

There is no timeline and there are no investors for a downtown arena. There are countless other things, but they are easily found in Mr. Andlaurs presentation so I'm not going to repeat them here.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Have to think Daniel Walker has a suspension coming. Pure goon. 20 year old 6’5”, 212lbs came in like a Mack truck deliberately targeting Ryan Humphrey (16y/o, 5’11”, 165lbs).

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Have to think Daniel Walker has a suspension coming. Pure goon. 20 year old 6’5”, 212lbs came in like a Mack truck deliberately targeting Ryan Humphrey (16y/o, 5’11”, 165lbs).

Yep, agreed. Great to see Humphrey come back. I think that kid has some talent. They played him a shift with Jenik and Kaliyev. I would like to see them do that a bit more often.

The boys played a decent game, just got beat by a more experienced and talented Oshawa team.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

He should be suspended, but not for the shoulder to the chest you're talking about. That play was charging but that was it. His shoulder directly into Humphrey's chest. Didn't even touch his head, just poor awareness by Humphrey' to get caught with the puck on his stick and his head straight down.

Bertuzzi with that push to the back of the pants in that area of the ice on Vallati was the worst hit of the game and it wasn't even close. But how Walker doesn't get tossed for beating the shit out of Bertuzzi, who clearly was not going to drop his gloves after that hit, was beyond me.

Thought Constantini was really good for about 45-50 minutes but then just ran out of gas and stopped moving laterally and that was all she wrote. Watched him quite a bit on the Perfetti/Tullio Vaughan team and he's legit. I'd be giving him a lot more starts and less to Roy as the season goes on

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
To be blunt I am no troll I am just stating the facts the city is not going help fund this arena if they are not getting any money out of the deal & city of Hamilton size needs a world class arena not a bush league arena that would just benefit the Bulldogs , the owners of Lime Ridge mall .

The city has made it clear they want ether a renovated FOC. or a new arena to be built in the downtown core & I think my idea of ether of reduced sized FOC. or a new arena of about 12.000-15.000 with future renos in mind just in case the NHL. dose come to town which could within the next 10-15 years better to be prepared than sorry .

Helvigster

Jan 8, 2019
why exactly does Hamilton need a world class arena?

what kind of acts would come to town, apart from concerts?

which one of the "big 4" leagues would want to have a team here?

why would we build another arena that's too big for our current tenants?

you're making it sound like Hamilton is surely going to have an NHL team later on. why on earth would the city (or Andlauer for this matter) waste their budget on a 12k/15k arena WITH future renovations just incase if the NHL came to town? JUST incase? are you saying you want another Copps built? because that's basically what your proposal is

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
First of all the Meridian Center is good for a community its size for hockey & B+ entertainment 2nd the lime ridge mall arena won't fly because it is to small & the city won't make any money off the arena the people who own Lime ridge mall will & I don't think the city is going to invest money into something that they not going to get back while Lime ridge puts up nothing & makes all the money .

Let me tell you this Hamilton is a big league major city that craves A+ sports & entertainment & won't get any of that with a small 6.000 seat arena all you will get is the scraps Toronto dose not want & the Bulldogs would be the only thing worth paying admission for that kind of arena .

That is why ether a reduced sized FOC. to 12..000- 15..000 plus luxury boxes or just a new12.000- 15.000 seat arena & it has to be in the downtown core because that is where you are going to make all the money one last thing it is working for Winnipeg has 15.000 seat arena that host the NHL. , AHL. & now the WHL. so you people trying to say Winnipeg & the rest of Manitoba are better than Hamilton (Southern Ontario) I think not .

Hamilton is better than a 6.000 - 10.000 We should have an arena around 12.000-15.000 with future renos in mind just in case the NHL. comes to town .

To the first point, even if Limeridge is making money, that money gets returned into city coffers in the form of taxes. A new area next door qualifies any commercial district for reassessment of property values, and thus increased property taxes. Say nothing of the other benefits to the city.

To the second point, with a 17,000 seat arena, we're still only getting the scraps from Toronto. Even upon opening, Copps never produced meaningful yearly profits because it never had the needed NHL anchor tennant. Sure, the Canada Cup was a fun romp, and we got a well attended (albeit embarrassing for the city) Memorial Cup, but the facility made far more red ink then black over the years. At most, we get 4 big shows at First Ontario a year, a new arena isn't going to change that. So long as a big act can charge higher ticket prices in Toronto then in Hamilton, this will always be the case. Given that maintenance costs go up with size, building a facility whose full capacity is only used 4 times a year, is a bad investment because you lose in the long run of maintenance. Building a small facility that hits capacity with both hockey and concerts is a good investment, because those costs are kept to the point where you can profit from rent.

To the third, Winnipeg is literally the only major city in all of Manitoba. It's the only city in that province over 100,000 people. They are literally the only place nearby to play for an AHL team to play and still be close to their market. The AHL team is 22nd in attendance in the league, but it's expected not to do well because having your farm closer to home is the new norm in the AHL. It's a revenue loss the Jets are willing to endure to be able to call up a player on the fly (as opposed to flying them in from St. John's). As far as the Ice, they just moved there, there is no evidence yet if the team will flourish or bomb, given the conditions.

The MTS center also only works because they have an NHL team, Hamilton is not going to get an NHL team any time in the next 20 years which is the lifespan of a facility before a renovation is needed and they are literally the only game in town for all of Manitoba. Southern Ontario has access to both Toronto and Buffalo who both prevent any bid to put a team in Hamilton, because such a team not only cuts into their bottom line, it also does nothing to expand league television revenue.

Last edited:

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Kaliyev with all 4 goals. Not sure that they deserved to win this one, but Marco stood on his head and Erie hit the post a bunch of times.

About time some bounces went our way.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Ti-Cat themed game tomorrow for the Dogs, should be interesting. Think how Barrie is doing will be telling to see how well the team is meshing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Apparently some season ticket holders have been notified that certain sections have been closed for todays game? The rumour is safety concerns, but I'm not positive about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad