Hall is on Fire!

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I have been one of those that has suggested trading Hall in the past but not because I don't recognize his talent. I think he is one of the best wingers in the game.

I just question the importance of wingers. I can think of 2 scenarios of the top of my head where teams were junk with 2 SUPERSTAR wingers. The Thrashers sucked with Kovalchuk and Heatley and the Ducks sucked with Kariya and Selanne. I can't remember a team sucking with 2 superstar dmen or centers.

With McDavid in the fold, we are set at center. I would still entertain trading Hall for an impact dman, only because I value the position a lot more.

The Thrashers sucked because they had a terrible GM for a decade

The Ducks were an expansion team with two superstars in an era when certain teams were so stacked, they had Hall of Fame goal scorers playing on their 3rd and 4th lines.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Well the reality of the cap world is that no team will be perfectly balanced, because you just can't afford to fill every spot.

ps, I think pitts biggest failure is from the fact that Fluery alwasy disapears in the playoffs. If he was worth what they were paying him I think they would have won a second cup. Also Crosby isn't what he use to be.

They were also missing their top 3 Dmen for a long period of time.

No Letang.
No Maata.
No Erhoff.

Pittsburg may have struggled at times this year, and they might not have the greatest wingers, but Hornquist, Kunitz, and Perron are all very good wingers. Any team that loses their top 3 D is not going to win in the playoffs. To blame it on crappy wingers or MAF is ridiculous.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hall said he feels he's one of the best at his position, which is certainly true. He had a tough year for sure, but he should be up there with the likes of Benn and Parise as one of the top 2-4 LWs in the game next year.

Yeah, there are not that many LWers who one can say are clearly better than Hall. Maybe Ovechkin, simply due to his scoring ability rather than overall play, Benn, maybe Sedin, but probably not. I'd take Hall over Parise.

azashi

May 31, 2006
I agree, which I why I wouldn't trade Hall. Hall's contract will be as teal at 6 mill. He is already worth more like 9 mill.

I think we need to learn to distinguish between "worth" and "get paid on the open market".

For example, PK Subban got a $72M, 8-year contract. That's $9M/year, cap hit. That's approximately what he'd get paid on the open market.

That doesn't mean he's worth it. Arguably by signing him, the Montreal Canadiens guaranteed their own semi-competitiveness over a 1-3 year period, but ensured their long-term mediocrity and failure. Long before Subban is out of his prime, he will be a hindrance to his team by not just not being a value to his team, but being a cap hindrance even relative to performance, no matter what his VORP (value over replacement player) stat is.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I better not see any of you putting this guy in trade proposals this summer. He's elite no question. Going to be a beast come playoff time.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I love Hall - but if there was a trade to bring back a #1 Dman, I think I'd have to do it.
I tend to agree with this.

However, I don't think it's necessary with the UFA dmen we have some chance at nabbing

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah but you have to wonder if the Devils might be in that position.

Not sure how they can be in that position since it's debatable if they even have a number 1 defenseman.

They most definitely don't have a number 1 defensemen of the type Oiler fans are talking about when they mention trading Ebs/Hall.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Good to see hallsy getting lots of points, but to be honest, he's still giving the puck away way too much to be considered one of the best players on the team.

Players who drive zone entry. often turn over the puck.
Especially wingers entering on there side.

I guess we could ask him to hang back and let someone else drive the entry!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Yeah but you have to wonder if the Devils might be in that position.

Adam Larsson? The guy had half a good season, no chance he brings back a guy like Hall. I would bet my left nut Hall is the most untouchable player on the roster for Chia. He is a winner and if we trade him we will regret it for the rest of his career while he is putting up huge playoff years for the other team.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
On the 3rd Canadian goal it looked like Hall might of got a stick on that to create the turnover for Ekblad, I noticed on TSN they actually have the Couturier goal credited to Hall in error, I'm thinking he might have one more assist on the day.

IMO Hall deserved player of the game over Ekblad today, he was a big factor on 4 of the goals Canada scored, also great to see him and Ebs getting time with Crosby. That's a nice treat for the two of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad