Hall is on Fire!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
On the 3rd Canadian goal it looked like Hall might of got a stick on that to create the turnover for Ekblad, I noticed on TSN they actually have the Couturier goal credited to Hall in error, I'm thinking he might have one more assist on the day.

IMO Hall deserved player of the game over Ekblad today, he was a big factor on 4 of the goals Canada scored, also great to see him and Ebs getting time with Crosby. That's a nice treat for the two of them.

I think they have to go back to Hall - Crosby - Eberle. That line was the major driving factor getting the team back in the game after the 1st.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
I think they have to go back to Hall - Crosby - Eberle. That line was the major driving factor getting the team back in the game after the 1st.

Just hearing Crosby centering those two gets me aroused lol. This summer has been as good as it could possibly have been. I mean, the only way I could be any happier is if the Oilers ended up winning the Cup.

It's almost too good to be true. :yo:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I haven't seen it mentioned yet but Eberle has been pretty good too. So many positives for Oiler fans in this tournament as Lander and Klefbom have played well for Sweden. Hendricks has been terrific for the Americans.

So glad all these Oilers went to this tournament this year. I thought it was so disappointing when they didn't go last year. I really think they hated hockey after a season with Eakins. It's unquestionable that the events of the last month have really energized these guys. The best part might be that Todd McLennan has a front row seat to what Hall and Eberle can really do. It might convince him to come here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Im stating facts not cherry picking stats to make my argument.

Thanks

You're right he clearly wasn't better after Eakins got **** canned. Besides as great as McDavid will be it'd be a disservice to RNH to ask him to carry a line all by his lonesome. Yakupov is our best one shot scoring winger, McDavid is our best passer, it seems like a match made in heaven IMO. Yak can be the 3rd wheel on that line like Pouliot is the 3rd wheel on the RNH line. You concentrate on McDavid and Hall and then Yak gets a pass in the slot and puts it home.

Yakupov came a long way after Eakins got the boot, McDavid if they play together will get him to the production of a 1st overall.

Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

That's a top 6 to be reckoned with.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
You're right he clearly wasn't better after Eakins got **** canned. Besides as great as McDavid will be it'd be a disservice to RNH to ask him to carry a line all by his lonesome. Yakupov is our best one shot scoring winger, McDavid is our best passer, it seems like a match made in heaven IMO. Yak can be the 3rd wheel on that line like Pouliot is the 3rd wheel on the RNH line. You concentrate on McDavid and Hall and then Yak gets a pass in the slot and puts it home.

Yakupov came a long way after Eakins got the boot, McDavid if they play together will get him to the production of a 1st overall.

Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

Very well written, its how ive seen it, both Hall and McDavid have wonderful play making ability and Hall and Yak have always worked well together. All 3 on a line together would be music. Nuge takes tough comps till Drais is able to then move Nuge and Eberle for other needs and have Hall+mcdavid and Drais+Yak as pairs.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

I still like keeping Hall-Nuge-Ebs together. I agree McDacid and Yaks should be a pair.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Pouliot- McDavid- Yaks

Those lines just make a lot of sense to me.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
3 elite passers (LD, rnh, mcdavid)

3 elite shots (hall, yak, eberle)

Very nice set up

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
3 elite passers (LD, rnh, mcdavid)

3 elite shots (hall, yak, eberle)

Very nice set up

I wouldn't say Hall has an elite shot. He does have a very high level release on his wrister though and at this level that's the most important thing. Eberle takes a day and a half sometimes to pull the trigger but his shot is crazy accurate when he has time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could see Yakupov picking up a lot of gimmes once McDavid adjusts to the NHL level, the question is whether or not he can stay in McLellan or Babcock's good graces defensively long enough to stay on that line.

Watching Erie you see guys like Debrincat just killing it (50 goals), no doubt they're good players ... but they're not *that* good. McDavid spoon feeds them so many goals.

Connor Mcdavey*

Yeah, there are not that many LWers who one can say are clearly better than Hall. Maybe Ovechkin, simply due to his scoring ability rather than overall play, Benn, maybe Sedin, but probably not. I'd take Hall over Parise.

Taylor Hall is not as good as Ovechkin. So don't say "Maybe" as good - Ovechkin is the best on the planet
And until he wins a point scoring race, he isn't as good as Benn either.

He is playing well though I'll say that, hopefully he can carry momentum for next season and minimize turn overs:handclap:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I wouldn't say Hall has an elite shot. He does have a very high level release on his wrister though and at this level that's the most important thing. Eberle takes a day and a half sometimes to pull the trigger but his shot is crazy accurate when he has time.

I think Taylor Hall has an elite shot, but doesn't know it. He needs to have more confidence in it, and really, he needs to fine tune it.

Connor Mcdavey*

I think Taylor Hall has an elite shot, but doesn't know it. He needs to have more confidence in it, and really, he needs to fine tune it.

I don't think it's elite at all, you can't have an elite shot and not score more than 27 goals. Elite is a very sacred word, I don't think it should be thrown around so easy

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I still like keeping Hall-Nuge-Ebs together. I agree McDacid and Yaks should be a pair.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Pouliot- McDavid- Yaks

Pouliot - RNH - Ebs as a line has played a substantial amount of time together and are a good unit. They can play the hard minutes and also put up good numbers.

You have to have Hall play with McDavid because he is the best fit with both his speed and talent. Yak has a great shot and would help make for a dynamic line.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I don't think it's elite at all, you can't have an elite shot and not score more than 27 goals. Elite is a very sacred word, I don't think it should be thrown around so easy

Why get caught up in semantics?

The Joker*

Why get caught up in semantics?
This entire page is semantics.

Hall and Ebs are lighting it up at the WHC and more importantly, look to be having a great time. So many positives around this club right now. What a complete 180 from six months ago.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
Pouliot- McDavid- Yaks

I just don't see it. IMO RNH is better without Hall, so if McDavid can better use Hall's skillset then that is a win/win. Pouliot-RNH-Eberle was a solid line for us this season, I see no reason to break it up.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I just don't see it. IMO RNH is better without Hall, so if McDavid can better use Hall's skillset then that is a win/win. Pouliot-RNH-Eberle was a solid line for us this season, I see no reason to break it up.

Agreed. This will be a good time to see if the necessary changes are made in the locker room. If their is friction between Hall and Yak it is up to a new coach and the new captain to get hall to STeFU and behave like a good teammate. Although Hall's play at the WHC's might be a good indicator that he has turned the corner on his own.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I think Hall will be amazing next year. Kid has battled a ton of injuries and still played well when he was in the line up.

I think playing right now has given him a new lease on hockey and you know how we all are excited about the upcoming season, just imagine how he feels.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
I think if Hall can accept the fact that McDavid should be the one doing the majority of the puck carrying, then Hall can compete for the Rocket in a few years. Without a doubt.

Mcdavid feeding a guy with Halls speed should result in numerous tapins and gimmes. Sort of like how pascal dupuis and Chris Kunitz thrived as Crosby's wingers.

However I am not sure that is in Halls DNA. He wants the puck

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Agreed. This will be a good time to see if the necessary changes are made in the locker room. If their is friction between Hall and Yak it is up to a new coach and the new captain to get hall to STeFU and behave like a good teammate. Although Hall's play at the WHC's might be a good indicator that he has turned the corner on his own.

I still think the Hall-Yak thing is totally overblown. My guess is Hall being a hot-headed competitive guy has yelled at people for giveaways and the like after losses and this has led to some of the buzz. We've seen Hall celebrate has hard as anyone over Yakupov goals, and they have been shown to have pretty good chemistry the little bits they've played together under both Krueger and Nelson. I really want to see them with McDavid under our new coach. If they mesh as well as they did at the end of Yakupov's rookie season, look out. McDavid will be handing out goals like candy all day.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I still think the Hall-Yak thing is totally overblown. My guess is Hall being a hot-headed competitive guy has yelled at people for giveaways and the like after losses and this has led to some of the buzz. We've seen Hall celebrate has hard as anyone over Yakupov goals, and they have been shown to have pretty good chemistry the little bits they've played together under both Krueger and Nelson. I really want to see them with McDavid under our new coach. If they mesh as well as they did at the end of Yakupov's rookie season, look out. McDavid will be handing out goals like candy all day.

Yakupov is a frustrating player as well, all that skill but he just makes the wrong decisions here and there. Its mostly a product of being young though. Thats why Roy has improved him so much, its not Roy's skill level doing it, its Roy communicating with him and letting him know what to do and when to do it.

The time that I remember the clearest when Hall yelled at Yak was when they were on a PP and Yak took a VERY low percentage shot when they were set up and it led to a stoppage in play. It was a very selfish play and Edmonton was losing at the time.
I think a little fire under their butts is a good thing. You don't want your team to succumb to losing every night and not caring about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad