Hall is on Fire!

McDeathbyCheerios*

I have been one of those that has suggested trading Hall in the past but not because I don't recognize his talent. I think he is one of the best wingers in the game.

I just question the importance of wingers. I can think of 2 scenarios of the top of my head where teams were junk with 2 SUPERSTAR wingers. The Thrashers sucked with Kovalchuk and Heatley and the Ducks sucked with Kariya and Selanne. I can't remember a team sucking with 2 superstar dmen or centers.

With McDavid in the fold, we are set at center. I would still entertain trading Hall for an impact dman, only because I value the position a lot more.
The Pittsburgh Penguins have the 2 best centers in the game and struggled to make playoffs and got destroyed. Their problem is the don't have great wingers. Or even good wingers.

You need a balance. You need at least one or two great wingers on a team. Especially with pkaymaking centers. They can only do so much if a winger can't finish.

Nashville also missed the playoffs 2 years in a row with Weber and Josi.

You need a balance.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
The thing about trading any of our forwards is that we have so little top-six depth. If Hall is traded that means.... Hendricks is in the top six? Maybe Miller? In the event that Ebs is traded I suppose Purcell slots into the top six? Maybe Draisaitl can come in and prove to be a competent winger in the NHL but I have my doubts... I'm hoping Chiarelli can pick up a couple of competent middle sixers in the offseason (Frolik-type players).

If I had to choose between trading Hall or Ebs I would trade Ebs. Hall plays with a lot more intensity, passion, etc. He's a guy that I'm confident will step his game up in the playoffs (if we ever get there). There's no one on the Oilers that can put the team on his back the way Hall can. Besides, I'm not sure that his value is as high as it can be right now considering the season he just had.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
The Pittsburgh Penguins have the 2 best centers in the game and struggled to make playoffs and got destroyed. Their problem is the don't have great wingers. Or even good wingers.

You need a balance. You need at least one or two great wingers on a team. Especially with pkaymaking centers. They can only do so much if a winger can't finish.

You need a balance.

Pittsburgh was missing half their blue-line down the stretch. They would have made the playoffs easily if healthy. Fair point on the Preds.

No doubt balance is important. I guess my point is if I am going to be missing a piece, I would rather be missing a #1 winger over a #1 dman or center. Ideally you have them all but that isn't always realistic.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Pittsburgh was missing half their blue-line down the stretch. They would have made the playoffs easily if healthy. Fair point on the Preds.

No doubt balance is important. I guess my point is if I am going to be missing a piece, I would rather be missing a #1 winger over a #1 dman or center. Ideally you have them all but that isn't always realistic.
Moving your best player for parts has never worked out.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Looks like Duchene is a better centre than Nuge. Hopefully McDavid will have good chemistry with Hall. Nuge belongs on the second line.

Ya, cause Hall hasn't had success with Nuge? Before this year he was one of the top 5 point producers in the NHL over the previous two seasons. Personlly I would like to keep Hall-Nuge-Ebs together and try and work other players around McDavid, but I am sure it will all get tried. Just wait and see who works with who.

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

You need a balance.

Well the reality of the cap world is that no team will be perfectly balanced, because you just can't afford to fill every spot.

ps, I think pitts biggest failure is from the fact that Fluery alwasy disapears in the playoffs. If he was worth what they were paying him I think they would have won a second cup. Also Crosby isn't what he use to be.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well the reality of the cap world is that no team will be perfectly balanced, because you just can't afford to fill every spot.

ps, I think pitts biggest failure is from the fact that Fluery alwasy disapears in the playoffs. If he was worth what they were paying him I think they would have won a second cup. Also Crosby isn't what he use to be.
They also usually throw in plugs for the wings.

fifty_in39

Feb 19, 2004
This! Everyone needs to calm down. Scored 4 goals against crap competition on a loaded team. I honestly don't get the Hall love affair. Does he put up points? Yes Does he create havoc on the other team's defence? sure

The other side is that he spends half his time on his ass. Guy can't stay on his skates for a so called elite skater. Watch the next time he plays and count how many times he falls down. Is he fast going North to South? Absolutely. How good are his edges and lateral skating? Not very good to be honest. Probably the most awkward skating style I have ever seen for again an "elite" skater. Compare his edges and lateral skating to his linemates Eberle and Duchene. Not even close my friends....and incredibly they stay on their skates while doing it.

Stick handling? I give him a B minus. Not even close to Ebs or Duchene's hands.

Defensive awareness? mmmm getting better I guess.

Shot? another B minus. Maybe fairly hard and gets it off quick. Accuracy? again not even close to Ebs or Duchene.

Attitude? Not going to comment on what he does or doesn't do off the ice. He's still a young man and you can't believe all the BS you hear. That being said I can comment on his on ice temper tantrums...always pouting...terrible sign of poor leadership...brings your team down.

Really not a true elite talent like people want us to believe...but yes he puts up points and is fast (when he's not falling down on his ass or reaching for the puck)
Phil Kessel is fast and puts up points...wouldn't want him on my team.

Just saying my friends. Just saying.

...Not very much!

McDeathbyCheerios*

Ya, but thats my point, in the cap world something has to give.
Yes but Hall only makes 6 mill. And decent replacement for Hall would be 5-7mill a year and put up less points.

fifty_in39

Feb 19, 2004
I have been one of those that has suggested trading Hall in the past but not because I don't recognize his talent. I think he is one of the best wingers in the game.

I just question the importance of wingers. I can think of 2 scenarios of the top of my head where teams were junk with 2 SUPERSTAR wingers. The Thrashers sucked with Kovalchuk and Heatley and the Ducks sucked with Kariya and Selanne. I can't remember a team sucking with 2 superstar dmen or centers.

With McDavid in the fold, we are set at center. I would still entertain trading Hall for an impact dman, only because I value the position a lot more.

Why do you value the position more? Didn't help LA, Nashville, Ottawa etc. this year. Only 4D have won the Conn Smythe in the past 25 years. They'd trade their D in a second for Hall.

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Just off the top of my head you have Dallas this year with Spezza and Seguin, yet they sucked. I wouldn't put to much stock into the sample size. If C were so important, as just stated, Pitts would have just won their 6th straight cup. If D were so important than Nashville would be in the second round.

ps. look at a team like the New York Rangers, i wouldn't call any of their C elite. I also wouldn't call any of their D men top 10 D men in the NHL. Goaltending and great wingers gets it done for them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No, they should be playing competitive hockey in May and learning from guys like Crosby, Spezza and McLellan.

No way! Injury possibility, lousy 2nd class tourney that no one cares about. These boys need to get healthy and train all summer so they can come back fresh in the fall! How can anyone think this is a good thing?????

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's pretty far out of context and not even what he actually said.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-jason-gregor-show-website/2015+April/Taylor+Hall+-+Apr+24.mp3
If you've got 15 minutes to spare, here's the interview from a couple weeks ago if you want. Pretty honest, lengthy and in depth interview with Hall by Gregor from right after Chiarelli was hired.

It's a good listen if you've got the time. If you just want to hear about the stuff about the World Championships it starts at 5:00. The quote about wanting to prove he's one of the best in the world at his position is at 6:40. And it had nothing to do with the world championships, and had more to do with the disappointment he had with this past season both as a team and individually and wanting to prove himself.

I kind of thought so, thanks for the reply.

Thanks for this. Getting a little sick of the misquoting and poor interpretation by people who are easily excited and confused.

So I quote a poster on comments made by Hall, explicitly saying that it looks out of context (which in essence means I would like to see where it came from, there was no link in the post) but comment on the exact substance of the statement as presented in the post and that makes you sick?... Are you kidding me? Address the topic instead as done by Spawn, that was very much appreciated obviously. Then take a look at my post history if you think I am easily excited and confused... The level of sensitivity has gone through the roof if that is the limit of tolerance in here.

Last edited:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
No way! Injury possibility, lousy 2nd class tourney that no one cares about. These boys need to get healthy and train all summer so they can come back fresh in the fall! How can anyone think this is a good thing?????

You're on an island with that opinion. Current and former NHLers, team management all think this is important for their development when not in the playoffs. I'm not sure what you think they need to be doing in May that's more important in a bid to "come back fresh in the fall". How bout they learn from top players and coaches so we can come back in the fall and suck less. Though with your multitude of question marks I'm not sure you're being serious.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You're on an island with that opinion. Current and former NHLers, team management all think this is important for their development when not in the playoffs. I'm not sure what you think they need to be doing in May that's more important in a bid to "come back fresh in the fall". How bout they learn from top players and coaches so we can come back in the fall and suck less. Though with your multitude of question marks I'm not sure you're being serious.

To be honest I care little about whether it is good for their development, it could be, or not. Fro me it is enough that it doesn't hurt to play the WHC. What I care about is that it is always fun to watch, and ten times more so imo when there are Oilers players playing. But I am a stupid Euro so what do I know :)

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hall playing well under McLellan is a very good sign. Hopefully the two are getting some good bonding time in Prague

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Looks like Duchene is a better centre than Nuge. Hopefully McDavid will have good chemistry with Hall. Nuge belongs on the second line.

Why? Because Hall is doing well against a couple of national teams on international ice? It's apples and oranges comparing the two based on RNH's season in the NHL this year and Duchene's in the WC's.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Nuge is 2 years younger than Duchene, at only 22 he'll continue to get stronger and better. They're pretty much equal right now with maybe an edge to Duchene but I don't think it'll stay that way for too long.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I am hesistant to judge Halls play with RNH this year as it was under Eakins. However under Nelson/ TM/ Babcock they could mesh again really well

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

pretty sure he's being sarcastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad