Hall is on Fire!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It looks like he has been inspired by McDavid
Looking forward to seeing those 2 play on the same line in the fall

Oct 30, 2011
I'm glad. He's still pretty fresh coming off injury and has played less games than everyone else. I hope he continues to produce and keeps the scoring lead.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It's nice to see him pot some goals. Hopefully he cashes in on a lot of passes from McDavid. It's painful as hell watching dinks on the main board ignore Halls point totals and crap on his goal scoring.

Yeah, for whatever reason Hall is the one player that fans in general seem to forget or ignore -- Mainly because he plays on EDM so fans just assume he's not very good.

Well with McDavid on the way, more fans else where will tune in to see him and they will get to see how dynamic he can be. Though I'm sure that will just open a can of worms such as "he's only good because of McDavid". :laugh::laugh:

It'll happen and Oil fans will /facepalm. :laugh:

Trying to impress McLellan hopefully

It wouldn't surprise me although he did say the day before leaving for the Worlds on an EDM radio interview that his goal was to try to show everyone that he is the best in the world at his position. In fact he even said he feels he is the best at his position. I'm not sure why he said that as he clearly isn't (yet), but he's definitely very good and will only get better. :laugh: When he's on, he's up there with the best in terms of points, so perhaps that's why he said it. Hard to argue with that though. Surround him with better players and he'll be at or near the top for years to come.

Last edited:

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Hall said he feels he's one of the best at his position, which is certainly true. He had a tough year for sure, but he should be up there with the likes of Benn and Parise as one of the top 2-4 LWs in the game next year.

Last edited:

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Good to see hallsy getting lots of points, but to be honest, he's still giving the puck away way too much to be considered one of the best players on the team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good to see hallsy getting lots of points, but to be honest, he's still giving the puck away way too much to be considered one of the best players on the team.

He hasn't given the puck away more than anyone else on the team. Sometimes I think people just look for it with Hall. Every time he loses possession of the puck its "Oh there's another turnover" But then 8 other forwards do the same or worse that game and not a peep about it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He hasn't given the puck away more than anyone else on the team. Sometimes I think people just look for it with Hall. Every time he loses possession of the puck its "Oh there's another turnover" But then 8 other forwards do the same or worse that game and not a peep about it.

Yeah I haven't noticed any egregious turn overs from him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I haven't noticed any egregious turn overs from him.

When he's on his game the turnovers are in check. When they aren't he fights it IMO. I hope that he does very well, ideally all of our young guys keep developing so that whether we trade any or not we will have a whale of a forward group.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hall said he feels he's one of the best at his position, which is certainly true.

Objectively, I would say his play wasn't as good last year as it had been the previous year; even without the injury, he may not have been a top 10 LW in 2014-15 (even in points, which is his strong suit, his PPG was around 15th for LWs). I understand he was injured and suffering through another year of Dallas Eakins, but his scoring was waaay down.

If he is injury-free, playing with McDavid, and improves his all-around game with better coaching, I could see him back in the top 3 this year.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
It looks like he has been inspired by McDavid
Looking forward to seeing those 2 play on the same line in the fall

I don't think it has anything to do with inspiration he's an elite player he's supposed to tap dance on Germany's face and he had a good showing against a competitive Czech team. He does need to decrease his turnovers, but if anyone actually doubted him or is surprised by his success, you are a complete fool.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Objectively, I would say his play wasn't as good last year as it had been the previous year; even without the injury, he may not have been a top 10 LW in 2014-15 (even in points, which is his strong suit, his PPG was around 15th for LWs). I understand he was injured and suffering through another year of Dallas Eakins, but his scoring was waaay down.

If he is injury-free, playing with McDavid, and improves his all-around game with better coaching, I could see him back in the top 3 this year.

Agreed, but I just prefer to consider this past season a write-off for him ;)

As I said, I'm pretty confident that he'll be back among the top 5 LWs in the league next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think it has anything to do with inspiration he's an elite player he's supposed to tap dance on Germany's face and he had a good showing against a competitive Czech team. He does need to decrease his turnovers, but if anyone actually doubted him or is surprised by his success, you are a complete fool.

Let's be honest here, the players on the Oilers got one hell of a shot in the arm when they won the McDavid sweepstakes. Hall was clearly pumped about it and rightfully so. He seems to enjoy playing with RNH and Eberle but that trio hasn't worked that well for us so he was kind of the odd man out in a way. Now in all likelihood he gets to play with a guy that's much better than either of those guys and he should be pumped about it.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
I wonder if Lindy Ruff is watching and wishing he didn't have his head rammed up his own tailpipe in regards to Hall at least years' WHC.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if Lindy Ruff is watching and wishing he didn't have his head rammed up his own tailpipe in regards to Hall at least years' WHC.

2 years ago, Hall didn't go last year. Hall should use it as motivation whenever he plays Dallas.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Let's be honest here, the players on the Oilers got one hell of a shot in the arm when they won the McDavid sweepstakes. Hall was clearly pumped about it and rightfully so. He seems to enjoy playing with RNH and Eberle but that trio hasn't worked that well for us so he was kind of the odd man out in a way. Now in all likelihood he gets to play with a guy that's much better than either of those guys and he should be pumped about it.

I'm sure winning McDavid made all our players more hopeful for a better team next season and more optimistic on our future ability to compete for a Stanley Cup. I don't think Taylor Hall said "Sweet we won the McDavid lotto, man I'm so pumped, now I'm going to go kill it at the World Hockey Championships."

I think regardless of McDavid a vacation in Prague with his BFF and a good hockey team that he actually has a good chance to win with is a breath of fresh air for someone who loves hockey as much as him. He's an elite player who expects elite results from himself the only time that doesn't produce is when he is playing injured, which he did for a huge chunk of this season, but now he's healthy and ready to make his mark. If anything was going to motivate him for this tournament I'd say it would be the Olympic snub more-so then anything to do with McDavid, cause I know he wanted to be on that team pretty badly.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, for whatever reason Hall is the one player that fans in general seem to forget or ignore -- Mainly because he plays on EDM so fans just assume he's not very good.

Well with McDavid on the way, more fans else where will tune in to see him and they will get to see how dynamic he can be. Though I'm sure that will just open a can of worms such as "he's only good because of McDavid". :laugh::laugh:

It wouldn't surprise me although he did say the day before leaving for the Worlds on an EDM radio interview that his goal was to try to show everyone that he is the best in the world at his position. In fact he even said he feels he is the best at his position. I'm not sure why he said that as he clearly isn't (yet), but he's definitely very good and will only get better. :laugh: When he's on, he's up there with the best in terms of points, so perhaps that's why he said it. Hard to argue with that though. Surround him with better players and he'll be at or near the top for years to come.

Id say hes 2nd best to Benn only. And that could easily change very soon.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

It wouldn't surprise me although he did say the day before leaving for the Worlds on an EDM radio interview that his goal was to try to show everyone that he is the best in the world at his position. In fact he even saidhe feels he is the best at his position. I'm not sure why he said that as he clearly isn't (yet), but he's definitely very good and will only get better. :laugh: When he's on, he's up there with the best in terms of points, so perhaps that's why he said it. Hard to argue with that though. Surround him with better players and he'll be at or near the top for years to come.

Out of context I don't like that statement. It is about the team and he goal should be to help the team win games. He probably said something of the sort (?), but since you highlighted that part of it I can only comment on that.

Look at many of the players on Canada's Olympic roster last year. That was an all-star team if I have ever seen one but they bought into the system and did what was necessary to win. At the end of one of the most impressive team performances I have seen, Canada ended up with 3 players in the top 30 for scoring, 6. Doughty, 9. Weber and 12. J.Carter. That with players like Crosby, Benn, Tavares and Getzlaf on the roster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm sure winning McDavid made all our players more hopeful for a better team next season and more optimistic on our future ability to compete for a Stanley Cup. I don't think Taylor Hall said "Sweet we won the McDavid lotto, man I'm so pumped, now I'm going to go kill it at the World Hockey Championships."

I think regardless of McDavid a vacation in Prague with his BFF and a good hockey team that he actually has a good chance to win with is a breath of fresh air for someone who loves hockey as much as him. He's an elite player who expects elite results from himself the only time that doesn't produce is when he is playing injured, which he did for a huge chunk of this season, but now he's healthy and ready to make his mark. If anything was going to motivate him for this tournament I'd say it would be the Olympic snub more-so then anything to do with McDavid, cause I know he wanted to be on that team pretty badly.

I think his and the teams poor season was motivation enough, however within a week of going from "next year will be a developmental year" to landing McDavid had to have been a massive boost to all of our players. This past season was Hall at his worst at times he really didn't show the passion that many of us have become accustomed to. Hopefully it's back and here to stay because we'll need it going forward.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think his and the teams poor season was motivation enough, however within a week of going from "next year will be a developmental year" to landing McDavid had to have been a massive boost to all of our players. This past season was Hall at his worst at times he really didn't show the passion that many of us have become accustomed to. Hopefully it's back and here to stay because we'll need it going forward.

I agree with this. I would also add the changes in the organization to the list of things that the players actually are excited about. I seem to remember seeing quotes about Hall (or Eberle maybe) saying that it was exciting to be part of EDM now since changes are obviously coming, and that was commenting on Nicholson/Chia and not McDavid.

edit: I don't know how these guys feel, but to me it seems a bit like if you are working with a company which is struggling and then suddenly land a big order which could secure your job and the fortunes/future of the company. At those times you get excited and work better/harder even if the new project hasn't kicked off yet. That is a personal opinion based on my own experiences, it could obviously be different for others.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Out of context I don't like that statement. It is about the team and he goal should be to help the team win games. He probably said something of the sort (?), but since you highlighted that part of it I can only comment on that.

Look at many of the players on Canada's Olympic roster last year. That was an all-star team if I have ever seen one but they bought into the system and did what was necessary to win. At the end of one of the most impressive team performances I have seen, Canada ended up with 3 players in the top 30 for scoring, 6. Doughty, 9. Weber and 12. J.Carter. That with players like Crosby, Benn, Tavares and Getzlaf on the roster.

It's pretty far out of context and not even what he actually said.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/the-jason-gregor-show-website/2015+April/Taylor+Hall+-+Apr+24.mp3
If you've got 15 minutes to spare, here's the interview from a couple weeks ago if you want. Pretty honest, lengthy and in depth interview with Hall by Gregor from right after Chiarelli was hired.

It's a good listen if you've got the time. If you just want to hear about the stuff about the World Championships it starts at 5:00. The quote about wanting to prove he's one of the best in the world at his position is at 6:40. And it had nothing to do with the world championships, and had more to do with the disappointment he had with this past season both as a team and individually and wanting to prove himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad