Hall is on Fire!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Massive Hall fan great to see him putting up points. I believe he is undoubtedly one of the best current LWers in the game.

But I watched those games and as good as he has been. Far more good than bad, he still has too many giveaways with no look passes to no one, etc...

I see no reason he cant eliminate that stuff out of his game and end up being the best at his position. Hope he takes those steps as he matures. Having some real coaching could really benifit him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Top scorer in the tournament so far isn't good enough? What would be?

Scoring lead after 3 games.... really? He is tied with Dadonov in points..

Canada has played against weak teams and scored 22 goals in 3 games.
Russia has scored 13 goals in 3 games with Dadonov being in 6 of the goals.

He is doing good but scoring points when it matters (quarter\semis\finals) would be considered being on fire.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Actually, in terms of hockey participation, medals, etc, the Czechs are considered on par with those countries...as part of the 'big six'.

I'm looking at results in tournaments and just general success. After a quick google I didn't realize they've traditionally done well in this tournament. But this is also a second rate tournament

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Stupid 2nd class tournament. Our guys should have stayed home to get ready for next season, you know getting bigger and stronger, also there is the big injury concern. Nothing good can come out of this boring, lousy tournament.

No, they should be playing competitive hockey in May and learning from guys like Crosby, Spezza and McLellan.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This! Everyone needs to calm down. Scored 4 goals against crap competition on a loaded team. I honestly don't get the Hall love affair. Does he put up points? Yes Does he create havoc on the other team's defence? sure

The other side is that he spends half his time on his ass. Guy can't stay on his skates for a so called elite skater. Watch the next time he plays and count how many times he falls down. Is he fast going North to South? Absolutely. How good are his edges and lateral skating? Not very good to be honest. Probably the most awkward skating style I have ever seen for again an "elite" skater. Compare his edges and lateral skating to his linemates Eberle and Duchene. Not even close my friends....and incredibly they stay on their skates while doing it.

Stick handling? I give him a B minus. Not even close to Ebs or Duchene's hands.

Defensive awareness? mmmm getting better I guess.

Shot? another B minus. Maybe fairly hard and gets it off quick. Accuracy? again not even close to Ebs or Duchene.

Attitude? Not going to comment on what he does or doesn't do off the ice. He's still a young man and you can't believe all the BS you hear. That being said I can comment on his on ice temper tantrums...always pouting...terrible sign of poor leadership...brings your team down.

Really not a true elite talent like people want us to believe...but yes he puts up points and is fast (when he's not falling down on his ass or reaching for the puck)
Phil Kessel is fast and puts up points...wouldn't want him on my team.

Just saying my friends. Just saying.

Then explain Seguin's performance?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That was under Oates. This year Ovechkin is playing LW again and has pretty much all of 2014-15.

Oh ffs. I mixed up LW and RW for him - I knew he was back to his natural position under Trotz. My mistake.

I'm as bad as the writers! :facepalm:

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
Then explain Seguin's performance?

Who's talking about Seguin? Thought this was a Hall thread. Two games;)
Should we discuss Hall's performance at the last tournie? Oh yes...it was the coach's fault:laugh:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Who's talking about Seguin? Thought this was a Hall thread. Two games;)
Should we discuss Hall's performance at the last tournie? Oh yes...it was the coach's fault:laugh:
Hall us getting less minutes then Seguin.

Hall is getting third line minutes, and his line has been the best on the team so far. You could say ya sure, stacked team, doesn't mean he isn't getting things done.

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
Hall us getting less minutes then Seguin.

Hall is getting third line minutes, and his line has been the best on the team so far. You could say ya sure, stacked team, doesn't mean he isn't getting things done.

Agreed. He's scoring points. Good on him.

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
I think we need to temper our enthusiasm. Scored a hatty in a 10-0 win against the powerhouse Germany. I think Eakin had two that game? Let's try to keep things in perspective.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Looks like our boy Taylor is leading the way for Canada. It must be painful for the trade Taylor crowd.
It's great for the trade hallcrowd more value... I don't want to trade him because I think he's bad. I want to trade him because I think he is injury prone and is the best piece to move to fix our backend. I also think wingers carry very little value to me compared to all other positions.

crabcz

Sep 17, 2007
Prague

McDeathbyCheerios*

When Hall does good, it's cause his competition sucks, when he does bad it's cause he sucks.

The guy can't get good credit for good play. You guys are acting ridiculous

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Hows his back checking been? Thats my biggest complaint with Hall is he has enough spped to be able and get back and strip the puck from guys but seems to skate half assed back towards the defensive zone. When he learns to do that he'll be a better Marian Hossa.

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
When Hall does good, it's cause his competition sucks, when he does bad it's cause he sucks.

Hall is a good hockey player. Not a great one IMO. More than enough time to grow into a better hockey player. Time will tell.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not just from this tourney, but I got major hopes for hall next season. Dude put up 80 with Eakins. Next year hell have mcdavid feeding him pucks and a great coach leading him

Everyone is loosing their minds up what mcdavid can do, but forget hall could hit 90

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hall is a good hockey player. Not a great one IMO. More than enough time to grow into a better hockey player. Time will tell.
So him having when of the ppg in the league over the past few years means he is not Elite and just lucky year after year?

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
A good coach will go a long way with this player. He's had to blindly navigate his way in to the league with the clownshow we've put on for him. Not to say Renny or Krugs weren't good coaches, they just need some consistency on the bench.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

Same applied to Nurse in the OHL playoffs. When he played well, it was because he was older than everybody else. When he made mistakes, it "proved that he is never going to be a top-pairing defenceman." :shakehead

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Hows his back checking been? Thats my biggest complaint with Hall is he has enough spped to be able and get back and strip the puck from guys but seems to skate half assed back towards the defensive zone. When he learns to do that he'll be a better Marian Hossa.

This past season Hall was awful defensively and everywhere else on the ice more often than not... But when he's on his game, Hall backchecks harder than anyone else in the Oilers' top six. He's very effective defensively as he's always pushing the puck in the right direction (as evidenced by his advanced stats through his first four years in the league), but I find that he struggles with defensive fundamentals at times.

As for the WHC, you can't really question his effort so far in the D-zone. However his line overall hasn't been great when under pressure defensively.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Same applied to Nurse in the OHL playoffs. When he played well, it was because he was older than everybody else. When he made mistakes, it "proved that he is never going to be a top-pairing defenceman." :shakehead
Yep. It's like we don't have any good players cause we have lost a lot. You can have good players and a bad team

McDeathbyCheerios*

This past season Hall was awful defensively and everywhere else on the ice more often than not... But when he's on his game, Hall backchecks harder than anyone else in the Oilers' top six. He's very effective defensively as he's always pushing the puck in the right direction (as evidenced by his advanced stats through his first four years in the league), but I find that he struggles with defensive fundamentals at times.

As for the WHC, you can't really question his effort so far in the D-zone. However his line overall hasn't been great when under pressure defensively.
Hall is good defensively when he had a player on his line that is also good defensively. He looked great with Lander at the end there.

Eberle and Duchene are not defensive players at all

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

It's weird isn't it? I can understand an argument for not liking a player, but some act like Hall doing well is offensive in some way.

It seems especially prevalent when it comes to other Oiler players too, like Hall doing well minimizes the contributions of others.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I have been one of those that has suggested trading Hall in the past but not because I don't recognize his talent. I think he is one of the best wingers in the game.

I just question the importance of wingers. I can think of 2 scenarios of the top of my head where teams were junk with 2 SUPERSTAR wingers. The Thrashers sucked with Kovalchuk and Heatley and the Ducks sucked with Kariya and Selanne. I can't remember a team sucking with 2 superstar dmen or centers.

With McDavid in the fold, we are set at center. I would still entertain trading Hall for an impact dman, only because I value the position a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad