Speculation: Hagel price tag

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The quality players that Hawks have drafted since 2003 in the high teens through mid 50s; Keith, Bolland, Saad, Teuvo, Hartman, Schmaltz, Danault and Debrincat.

That's 18 drafts, I would take Hagel over several of these guys.

There are a few more like Crawford and Joker, but I generally agree with what you’re saying. People vastly overrate the expected value of picks 20 and beyond.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
18 drafts and around 30 total picks in that high teens - mid 50's range. Only 8 of those picks turned into good players?

Would you trade Hagel for a late 1st knowing you only have a 1 in 4 chance that the pick will turn into a good player? I wouldn't.
I prefer a 1 in 4 chance that the pick will turn into Brandon Hagel.

In a re-draft of 2016, it's not a difficult argument to put Hagel in the 1st round. Any draft pick n the back half of a 1st round is not likely to be Hagel-like.

I would not settle for less than a top tier prospect.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It’s amazing people watched good hockey from 2009-2016 and now act like they’ve never seen it before

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
It’s amazing people watched good hockey from 2009-2016 and now act like they’ve never seen it before

It’s amazing that some people see one of our better players going forward and want to trade him for some magic beans. Give your head a shake and your balls a tug.

Reactions: HLLYWD99

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
In my opinion contracts like Hagels are the kind of contracts teams need to be successful, it was a Davidson doing from what I’ve heard…Bowman I believe gave credit to Davidson for Hagel Kubalik Strome and possibly Stillmans’ contracts
It’d be foolish to just hand that over to Dubas in Toronto for example

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
In my opinion contracts like Hagels are the kind of contracts teams need to be successful, it was a Davidson doing from what I’ve heard…Bowman I believe gave credit to Davidson for Hagel Kubalik Strome and possibly Stillmans’ contracts
It’d be foolish to just hand that over to Dubas in Toronto for example

No one is advocating handing him over. Rather, if Dubas is willing to give up a first this year or next and give up one of Knies or Niemela, I think you make a business decision based on the reality of our current situation when we will actually be ready to contend (which is not likely before Hagel's great contract is about to run out and he needs to be paid to keep him).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hagel seems like one of the few good players we have on this team, is young, and will probably stay a good player for a long time. I'm not sure trading him for a first and a questionable prospect would most likely result in us winning that trade. Rebuilds don't just take x amount of years and then you're done. The team needs to have talent around it so the prospects coming in can play good hockey and grow into good NHL players. If not for Fleury we're already a bottom 10 team at best, trading Hagel doesn't make us worse enough to justify risking a proven thing on a late first and a maybe.

No surprise to see you can't accept some people think differently on this issue than you do. Maybe if you weren't such a declarative douche every time you posted this forum would have better discussions.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
No surprise to see you can't accept some people think differently on this issue than you do. Maybe if you weren't such a declarative douche every time you posted this forum would have better discussions.

Sorry I keep being right about stuff. You’re right there is no timetable on rebuilds but every rebuild starts with having a core of elite players. Until you have those guys everything else is noise. Hagel makes the Hawks better, but he doesn’t move the needle. If the Hawks had a Toews in the system and drafting first overall this year then sure, you keep guys like Hagel to support them. Hawks need more bites at the apple to find find elite talent. If that means moving a decent player to do so, you do it

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
I'd only trade for Spencer Knight (and that won't happen). He's cheap for 2 years and is a .5 ppg guy......ya'll act like he will be $4m+ per in 2 years. Best case is he continues to grow and he does cost $4m per, worst case is he's a reliable mid 6 guy @ $2-2.5m who hustles.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Spencer Knight...ok. How about Mackie Samoskevich in a package?
Samoskevich has many elite attributes. You deal with Florida, you target Samoskevich.

If somehow Chicago can trade Hagel for a 2023 1st + Samoskevich, it's the fleece job of the year. And this is coming from someone that really likes Hagel.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
If it’s a 1st, a top prospect, and another piece, I wonder if we could get something like Samoskevich, Tippett (not sure how Florida views him currently but I see him as a buy low option), and their 1st in 2023. If that’s an option, Tippett’s a guy that you could potentially give top-9 minutes to and see if there’s something there. Having said all that, I could be way off on Tippett’s value.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Just as likely to run the risk of him not producing and never get the same return. See Erik Gustaffson from 2019 and compare it to 2020
Except thats noy likely, because 1 Is a 23 year old who was good last year and has a constant motor. Gus was a still bad defensively turnover machine which produced offense at one time at 26.

Injury could derail him, sure. Like anyone. Saying anything can happen though isn't what is likely or not.

Reactions: LordKOTL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad