Speculation: Hagel price tag

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Frank Seravalli on the DFO Rundown says the price for Brandon Hagel is a first-round pick, top prospect, plus another asset

That price seems a little high. But, would you take that for Hagel, or is it just better to hang onto him for the next couple of years? That is a pretty cheap 1-2 line player

FLlOh0DXoAIV0Po

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Frank Seravalli on the DFO Rundown says the price for Brandon Hagel is a first-round pick, top prospect, plus another asset

That price seems a little high. But, would you take that for Hagel, or is it just better to hang onto him for the next couple of years? That is a pretty cheap 1-2 line player

FLlOh0DXoAIV0Po

of course I’d take that

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
I assume the first would be a late one. So the question is: What’s a top prospect?

A Reichel type? Very unlikely, but I take that package and run.

A Colton Dach type? I’m thinking hard about it, because yeah Hagel is on an amazing contract, but by the time the Hawks are ready to compete, he will be costing a lot more. So he’s not a guy that will likely be a bargain when you need it the most.

A lower quality prospect and it’s No Deal.

Reactions: Sinbad

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
LA has a lot of interesting prospects and seems to be ready to take the next step. Wonder if there could be a match there

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I assume the first would be a late one. So the question is: What’s a top prospect?

A Reichel type? Very unlikely, but I take that package and run.

A Colton Dach type? I’m thinking hard about it, because yeah Hagel is on an amazing contract, but by the time the Hawks are ready to compete, he will be costing a lot more. So he’s not a guy that will likely be a bargain when you need it the most.

A lower quality prospect and it’s No Deal.
Probably a late first and a Nylander type wash-out as the prospect yet everyone here expects Spencer Knight or someone else already in the NHL kicking ass.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Hagel is a guy you dont trade unless you get a king's ransom. Landon Slaggert is very similar and could be a nice replacement.

Reactions: Geoist

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Depends on what the pick and prospect coming back is. Moving Hagel should be a win for the 'hawks. Maybe not a King's ransom but the 'hawks would have to win their end of the trade. Ergo: A late 1st round pick that turns into a Mark McNeill and a prospect that is a Nylander would be a loss. Now a mid-1st round pick and a prospect that isn't a "project" and has a high chance of being able to stick effectively in the lineup at a place that the 'hawks lack any real depth, then you have to suffer the rebuild and make the move.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
The prospect would be more important than the first to me. A known entity. So a top shelf prospect and 2nd + 3rd would work for me even.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
Id be a fan of a deal with the Rangers, I think its been kicked around by others but, Hagel for a 1st, Kravstov and maybe a small plus would have me thinking long and hard.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Absolutely love Hagel but I’d be looking at offers for him at the deadline as well. At his contract he has TREMENDOUS value to a contender. By the time we’re able to compete he’s not gonna be on a sweetheart deal anymore and probably looking to cash in on his first big payday. Timeline just doesn’t make sense to keep him if you can get premium value for him right now. If you get blown away by a package with a high end prospect you really like plus a first rounder+, I think you gotta pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
And just who is going to be the person deciding on how good the prospect is and who shall be drafted with the pick? Until that end improves, I'm keeping Hagel.

Reactions: Larmer83

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sure trade Hagel...butbONLY if we sign other guys from junior who are r free agent 20 or 21 year olds from juniors who blossomed like Hagel did in his last year in juniors ..sign me 3 more Hagel -like free agents from juniors and we can afford to trade away the original for a gamble on yoingervpkayers(a mid to late 1st (18 yr old 2st tone eligible for the draft) ,a prospect not yet in NHL drafted 1 or 2 drafts back either still playing in jrs or on colkge or for a European team or in AHL now..

So if we get what turnsv nto a 5 for 1 (3 free Gent Hagel-lije juniors putting up pointsvin their final year at that level,plus the 2 younger prospects from the trade,thenbu alk means trade Hagel...but ifvyou cannot replacec1 with 5 "goidvones" then why take tgecrisk of losing your bird in the hand?

The trade part is a hgher risk...the finding 3 other "free" late bloomers like Hagel is easy IF abd only IF Hawks willing to use 3 ELC contracts on these older juniors nobody else wanted in either draftcelugivle years or if drafted and let go to gobtl free agency.

Tgese quality pkayersxarevout there ..but itvdoesvnot mean Hawks the only team chasing the to sign.

But guarantee I get 3 more like Hagel us even if the trade only brings back duds,we still win .

So thisxrealjyvdepebdsxon what Hawks do in free Gent older juniors ratger than betting on a good return in a trade with still so much development ahead for tge draft oick back and the prospect back

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Hagel is a guy you dont trade unless you get a king's ransom. Landon Slaggert is very similar and could be a nice replacement.

Would love to see Hagel and Slaggert as wings around a big tenacious center.
I agree with the Slaggert sentiment. However, his younger brother is a Notre Dame commit in 2023-24 so he may stay at ND for his senior year to play with his brother. Could be a while until we see Slaggert in a Hawk uniform.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Hagel and Reese Johnson were Bowman finds from Red Deer
Much like Fortin and Highmore before, it was Bowmans’ use of finding young talent when picks were scarce

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
When a team is looking to the future as the Hawks are, it is wisest to retain the young guys who you know perform in your system well - like Hagel. He forechecks well, backchecks well, he brings energy. He can score. He can be solid defensively. He is a good young player and is improving. To trade someone you know will work out well (and likely not cost much) like Hagel to get a draft pick (even a high pick like a second or a late first) and take a chance that that draft pick is lesser than Hagel (and that probability is reasonably high) makes less sense. Keep him. He is never likely to be a centerpiece of the team, but he will also never likely cost what a centerpiece will cost. He is a solid middle six guy (or at least projects that way as he is improving). And he will be cheap. Cheap people who produce above their paygrade are keepers. Keep him. There are a dozen guys (or more) on this team that would make sense to trade before Hagel.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Too vague to mean much. Mid-1st? Sure, I guess. Not tempted by a late 1st, and “top prospect” means different things to different people.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
When a team is looking to the future as the Hawks are, it is wisest to retain the young guys who you know perform in your system well - like Hagel. He forechecks well, backchecks well, he brings energy. He can score. He can be solid defensively. He is a good young player and is improving. To trade someone you know will work out well (and likely not cost much) like Hagel to get a draft pick (even a high pick like a second or a late first) and take a chance that that draft pick is lesser than Hagel (and that probability is reasonably high) makes less sense. Keep him. He is never likely to be a centerpiece of the team, but he will also never likely cost what a centerpiece will cost. He is a solid middle six guy (or at least projects that way as he is improving). And he will be cheap. Cheap people who produce above their paygrade are keepers. Keep him. There are a dozen guys (or more) on this team that would make sense to trade before Hagel.
All of the above is true but the point of this thread is: what if a team comes knocking and offers to (vastly) overpay to acquire Hagel? I think the answer is clear, Hawks will go for it.
IMO, Cat and perhaps Dach are the only untouchables.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Just curious when does hagel become ufa? Id love the scenario where they trade him for quality assets and potentially resign him in a couple years. Maybe someone enda up overpaying him and they can get him for cheap/retained in 4 years.

Although if they think they can sign Kuzmenko im more inclined to keep Hagel bc I think he’s good enough to help accelerate the rebuild, 2-3 years instead of 4-5.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Trading Hagel would be another huge blunder for this team. He’s on the verge of a huge breakout season surrounded by the right guys. He’s literally the only guy on this team who has heart and hustle. It’s mind boggling why anyone would trade him even if you get a late first and some mid range prospect. Unless you are getting 2 high firsts 1-16 plus high prospect you keep him. Some might laugh at this but watch out next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: gach

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino