Speculation: Hagel price tag

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Trading Hagel would be another huge blunder for this team. He’s on the verge of a huge breakout season surrounded by the right guys. He’s literally the only guy on this team who has heart and hustle. It’s mind boggling why anyone would trade him even if you get a late first and some mid range prospect. Unless you are getting 2 high firsts 1-16 plus high prospect you keep him. Some might laugh at this but watch out next year.
2 high firsts AND a high prospect? Are you high?

Reactions: Sinbad

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Hagel's low cap rate and his production make him valuable. I think when you look at players like him, do they drive the line or contribute based on his linemates? Most first-round picks should drive the line. If you can add a high-end prospect on top of that then you have a winning situation

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
2 high firsts AND a high prospect? Are you high?

He’s on pace for 32 goals in a season if you take his last 36 games playing for a garbage team and bring much more than just scoring and is just breaking out. You gotta be able to get his replacement down the line AND MORE since you are helping the other team NOW and he is signed to a great contract on top of that. You gotta also take into account that most likely one of the 3 prospects won’t pan out based on odds and so you have two left. So getting 2 players like him in return is reasonable. But hey I was high the last 7 years too when I gave my opinion and was told I was high as well, I don’t wanna bring this up again but you were mostly wrong about Stan and his moves and I was right yet some how I am the high one now again lol. Listen to the genius here buddy. You don’t have any hockey foresight, most don’t and never will. This is simple easy logic, to some of us it comes naturally.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you can get a first and a top prospect, I think you must consider it, but a lot depends on who that prospect is. Personally, I would need to see a forward with high end skill. The first-round pick would obviously be in the last 3rd of the first round but that is nothing to scoff at. Yes, it will hurt to lose Hagel, but this team will not really be able to take advantage of his deal and his value might never be higher, and his play style makes him prone to injury.

Example: If the Rangers offer a first-round pick and Vitaly Kravtsov, you 100% have to consider it.

To be clear, you don't trade him just to trade him.

Reactions: LordKOTL and Giovi

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He’s on pace for 32 goals in a season if you take his last 36 games playing for a garbage team and bring much more than just scoring and is just breaking out. You gotta be able to get his replacement down the line AND MORE since you are helping the other team NOW and he is signed to a great contract on top of that. You gotta also take into account that most likely one of the 3 prospects won’t pan out based on odds and so you have two left. So getting 2 players like him in return is reasonable. But hey I was high the last 7 years too when I gave my opinion and was told I was high as well, I don’t wanna bring this up again but you were mostly wrong about Stan and his moves and I was right yet some how I am the high one now again lol. Listen to the genius here buddy. You don’t have any hockey foresight, most don’t and never will. This is simple easy logic, to some of us it comes naturally.
Another post where you bring up your boy Stanley. What a surprise.

Hagel is on pace for 27 goals. Not 32. You can't just say "he'd score more on a better team" because his role would likely not be the same.

I'm not advocating for trading Hagel. I like him; most on here like him. But if a team were to offer a 1st and a solid prospect (think Reichel), I'd certainly do it. Let alone adding another 1st and making both of them in the top 16 like you said.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
You have to assume the pick is in the 25+ range which is not worth it. Go back and look at players taken in that range the last 10 or so years. Late 1st round picks get highly overrated. The prospect I would bet would be a player taken in the second round from one of the last two drafts. Not worth it. Keep Hagel. Love his game. He should be a staple to help set the culture of this team moving forward.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

hagel’s shooting percentage is double league average and more than double his shooting percentage from last year. Seems legit to me

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
hagel’s shooting percentage is double league average and more than double his shooting percentage from last year. Seems legit to me
His pdo is a flat 100, he drives to the net I front of the ice a lot. He needs to shoot more is all. Not that he's gonna scare at the same sh% but his actual play is still great there at producing chances.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
You are extremely baffling. You tell us over and over again how far we are from being competing but you want to keep our best selling player.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Depends on the prospect(s) and how late the 1st rd pick might be.

Hagel for the 25th pick and Amirov? No thanks
Hagel for the 14th pick and Brandt Clarke? Yes, definitely.

I just highly doubt anyone is going to offer the latter.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Hagel's value will never be higher. When this deal expires, he's going to be expensive, and we aren't likely to be contending yet. Trade him now and improve the system. Right now it stinks.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
If you can get a first and a top prospect, I think you must consider it, but a lot depends on who that prospect is. Personally, I would need to see a forward with high end skill. The first-round pick would obviously be in the last 3rd of the first round but that is nothing to scoff at. Yes, it will hurt to lose Hagel, but this team will not really be able to take advantage of his deal and his value might never be higher, and his play style makes him prone to injury.

Example: If the Rangers offer a first-round pick and Vitaly Kravtsov, you 100% have to consider it.

To be clear, you don't trade him just to trade him.

Exactly, plus he's signed through next season so it's not like there's a need to deal with his situation right now (compared to, say, what to do about Strome and Kubalik). Injuries happen to everyone but unless his game tanks like Sergei Samsonov's did, chances are he'll hold his value into next season.

The team should be absolutely listening to offers, but it should be rejecting any "Project" prospect offers. If the 'hawks move Hagel for pieces that end up don't helping the team in the rebuild because it was a gamble, then they'll be in a worse situation than if they kept him. That has to be considered as well.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Hagel's value will never be higher. When this deal expires, he's going to be expensive, and we aren't likely to be contending yet. Trade him now and improve the system. Right now it stinks.

Pretty lame excuse to trade a young second year player with term left. Yay our system is improved but we gave away a decent NHL talent to do so. Has this board not learned its lesson with trading away players prematurely?

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Pretty lame excuse to trade a young second year player with term left. Yay our system is improved but we gave away a decent NHL talent to do so. Has this board not learned its lesson with trading away players prematurely?
Do you really think Hagel has a higher ceiling than what we are seeing this year?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
a player like hagel is way more valuable to a contender than he is to the hawks (as of right now)...young, cost controlled asset, plays a style suited for the playoffs, he's basically prime saad before he won two cups and got paid...with that said i'm not that excited about trading him for a late 1st, would prefer a very good prospect and maybe a pick versus just a late 1st

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Do you really think Hagel has a higher ceiling than what we are seeing this year?

He very well could be but the best way to find out is by watching him do it on another team, right? I've said it before but the players you get in the late first you hope they are as good as Hagel. I also don't think the trade would sit well with the young players on this team like Cat and Dach who you are trying to build around. Keeping Hagel would likely help that core more than anything we get for him.

I also find it kind of funny you'd rather bet on a prospect to make the NHL than a guy who has worked his ass off to get here and is producing in the NHL today not improving.

Last edited:
Reactions: tioelcomoto

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
You are extremely baffling. You tell us over and over again how far we are from being competing but you want to keep our best selling player.
Again I am extremely baffling and have been for 7 years but if you look at history it has been on my side, I have called moves right on point 90% right of the time. I was called an idiot, high, baffling, stupid, fake fan, scum. BUT I WAS RIGHT all along. It’s the wrong move to trade this kid. History will be on my side if he does get moved and you will still call me baffling and high a few years down the line when I call another move right.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
24 years old, plays a responsible game, kills penalties and can put in 15-20 goals per season, keep him.

See if Kane will waive and offer him for some really good return.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I love Hagel- He is closest thing Hawks have seen since Bolland. Kid is good at everything- great at nothing- except Hockey. I hate to trade him- but reality is - this team will not be in contention during the next 6 years.... so will Hagel still be a stud then??? I say not likely- his fearless/never ending hustle style of play- probably leads to a career on the shorter side ( see Shaw/Bolland/ style guys)

Kid is very quick- but like Bolland- his greatest asset is Hockey IQ- and anticipating where the puck/play will be.

I hate the idea of trading my Favorite Hawk since Hossa... BUT- if u can land Reichel type prospect ( not Nylander type) and High 1st round ( almost impossible-since trade is w/ PO team... Unless team owns some other crappy teams 1st) -- I trade Him.

But- unlikely anyone has what I just mentioned- so He probably stays

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Imagine thinking a first round pick is too low for a middle 6 winger

Last 36 games he has played like a 1st line guy and he’s 23 just breaking out. Are you for sure gonna get a top line guy out of that first? Also you better be getting more than just Hagel value of now since you are helping the other team immediately now for the playoffs, why do so few people understand this concept. Most have little understanding when it comes to building a hockey team, evaluating players now and projecting them? Guys like Hagel is what you build around, I haven’t seen this type of hussle from anyone on this team for a very long time, in fact not many players in the league play like Hagel period. A first is NOT enough, not even close.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Last 36 games he has played like a 1st line guy and he’s 23 just breaking out. Are you for sure gonna get a top line guy out of that first? Also you better be getting more than just Hagel value of now since you are helping the other team immediately now for the playoffs, why do so few people understand this concept. Most have little understanding when it comes to building a hockey team, evaluating players now and projecting them? Guys like Hagel is what you build around, I haven’t seen this type of hussle from anyone on this team for a very long time, in fact not many players in the league play like Hagel period. A first is NOT enough, not even close.
Come on. The guy hustles but you and others overrate him.... as does King,

Reactions: Illinihockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia